TOPIC: War in Ukraine

War in Ukraine 7 months 4 weeks ago #3941258

• KayyGee
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 854
  • Honor Medal 2010
I suspect Putin is quoting Mark Twain today and saying "the report of my death has been grossly exaggerated". While there could never be no complications from the last 24 hours in Russia those cheering on and predicting the end of Putin's reign are having to modify their pleasure today as events have swung back in his favor.

In consultation with Putin, Luckashenko, of Belaraus, has negotiated Prigozhin's exile to Belaraus, in the first instance, and more medium turn he is likely to return to Africa to put a bit of distance between him and Moscow. How long he survives is the question now occupying all the anti Putin forces.

The Wagner mercenaries are to return to Ukraine, where exactly will be the interesting question here, or some may choose to accompany Prigozhin to Africa.

One thing is clear, the online sources of information, such as Telegram, Twitter and Instagram, had/have far better coverage of the events than did the traditional MSM, especially if you consider most western media have no people on the ground as most were expelled at the start of the SMO.

It is also clear that the propaganda efforts to destablise Russia will continue to put the worse possible light on Putin and his regime and its survivability and the best possible light on Ukraine's war efforts, both positions being completely at odds with the facts on the ground. Putin is not out of the woods, and there will be internal recriminations, the rats will need to be flushed out as it is clear there was both planning and advanced knowledge of Prigozhin's intentions in some quarters.

One novel theory being put forward, is that this is a classic Russia ruse and we are all being played by a master strategist. We shall see.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

War in Ukraine 7 months 4 weeks ago #3941260

• senile1
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 651
  • Honor Medal 2010
The New York Times
What’s Happening in Russia? What We Know About Wagner’s Military Revolt
Story by Eric Nagourney and Mike Ives • 7h ago

www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/what-s-happ...c7f0515f3e8d20&ei=12
The following user(s) said Well Said: Dan Dare

Last edit: by senile1.

War in Ukraine 7 months 4 weeks ago #3941295

• Sandgrounder
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1373
  • Honor Medal 2010
From what was discussed on our national news here in the UK, it could mean the beginning of the end of Putin. Trouble is who would replace him and would they be any better or worse. Only time will tell .

War in Ukraine 7 months 4 weeks ago #3941296

• Sandgrounder
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1373
  • Honor Medal 2010
No idea how this is going to play out, but I'm not planning to hold my breadth anytime soon .

War in Ukraine 7 months 4 weeks ago #3941334

• Vienna
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 972
  • Honor Medal 2010

Sandgrounder wrote: From what was discussed on our national news here in the UK, it could mean the beginning of the end of Putin. Trouble is who would replace him and would they be any better or worse. Only time will tell .

Could there be anyone worse than Putin..?

War in Ukraine 7 months 4 weeks ago #3941351

• Dan Dare
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 72
  • Honor Medal 2010
Wagner Boss Yevgeny Prigozhin went or was sent to Belarus as an exile but he may well regret that. Putin's Henchman Alexander Lukashenko, Grand brutal Dictator of Belarus neighbouring both Russia to its east and Ukraine to its south.
He allowed the huge Russian military convoy passage through to the border with Ukraine just south of them.
What damn strategic exercises, lies, lies, lies ... !?

I doubt Putin will allow ex Wagner boss Yevgeny Prigozhin to live much longer than a year? I hope I'm wrong.

Listening to articles, .. on my ABC mostly, I heard Putin had three main instruments of control in Russia. First keeping the Elite divided. Second having a blunt mercenry instrument called Wagner, the army for rent with oblique ties to Putin. Thirdly Fear. Pervasive fear of speaking out knowing severe repercussions may well follow.
The guy speaking on my big mono Teac DAB Radio reasoned the second control factor of Wagner's elite regiments is in doubt. The big knock to Putin's image is the fear factor is losing currency. Why? Well because Yevgeny Prigozhin stood up to Putin and cracked the ice. Elites are touted to be less cowed by a bleeding Putin for many, many billions of Rubles of reasons.
Also the long suffering proles, of course, not that their opinion counts for much in an evil totalitarian Kleptocracy.
The following user(s) said Well Said: R u e

War in Ukraine 7 months 4 weeks ago #3941352

• Dan Dare
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 72
  • Honor Medal 2010

Vienna wrote:

Sandgrounder wrote: From what was discussed on our national news here in the UK, it could mean the beginning of the end of Putin. Trouble is who would replace him and would they be any better or worse. Only time will tell .

I can think of just a few Dictators worse than Putin throughout the Ages Vienna. Just a few.

War in Ukraine 7 months 4 weeks ago #3941357

• Vienna
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 972
  • Honor Medal 2010

Dan Dare wrote:

Vienna wrote:

I can think of just a few Dictators worse than Putin throughout the Ages Vienna. Just a few.

Well yes Dan Dare but we're talking present day..

Last edit: by Vienna.

War in Ukraine 7 months 4 weeks ago #3941369

• QuinTSensual
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1045
  • Honor Medal 2010
We were certainly Blindsided by these events.
Wagner Mercenaries have demonstrated their brutal mindset. Street to Street, from camouflaged environments. "Hit and Run" Making a Heads Up. Head On. manoeuvre, via the Exposed M5. To Hot to Handle.
They would have been decimated by Russian Gunships. No collateral damaged. No citizen alienation.
Only option. Quick retreat and cosy up with Belarus.
Chapter 2. With Even Broker the incentive. Lukashenko & Prigozhin are poles apart in ambitions.
The condition that Mercenaries are absorbed into the Russian Military! An implosion waiting to happen.
Putin. As smug as ever. " Just Cannon Fodder".
The following user(s) said Well Said: R u e

"Out of the Eyes and Words of Children. We 'May', be best Known."

War in Ukraine 7 months 4 weeks ago #3941414

• Shadowman
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1000
  • Honor Medal 2010
Bizarre. Putin calls Prigozhin a traitor to the nation and a knife in the back of Russia, and then cuts a deal with him (as he secretly calls his supplier and asks how much radioactive polonium-210 he has on hand).
The following user(s) said Well Said: Dan Dare, Aida, QuinTSensual, R u e

"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." Immanuel Kant
Moderators: MoonlitRoads63Pats
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds