Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: UK inflation hits 9%, highest since 1982, amid Russia-Ukraine war

UK inflation hits 9%, highest since 1982, amid Russia-Ukraine war 1 month 2 weeks ago #3816424

• GerryM
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 452
  • Honor Medal 2010

Summerdancing wrote: We have the highest gas prices in the country. Food has skyrocketed. My favourite salad has gone up from $5.00 a bag to over $7.00. A glass of wine in a restaurant is now around $15-17--used to be $10-12.

Oddly, clothing has remained steady--not going up as much as food and gas.

I am fortunate that I don't need much....feel sorry for families with growing children especially if they have to drive them everywhere.

I would bring you a bottle of wine for free, but you need to share.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

UK inflation hits 9%, highest since 1982, amid Russia-Ukraine war 1 month 2 weeks ago #3816619

• Sandgrounder
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1788
  • Honor Medal 2010
Lots of people here in the UK are giving up owning a car because of the cost of running it these days. In some towns we have car share schemes that you can join, and you only use the car when you want one.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Bruce

UK inflation hits 9%, highest since 1982, amid Russia-Ukraine war 1 month 2 weeks ago #3816665

• Bruce
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1005
  • Honor Medal 2010
A few people I know are joing the scheme where they pay monthly and can get electric assisted pedal bikes to use to get to work and back, there is many silly laws on electric assisted bikes but the scheme who runs it knows the legal way, something to do with it has to be under 250watt and not be able to do over 15.5 mph etc etc but many are now using them as it is telling the fuel companies to shove their prices and it keeps us fitter than driving as the bikes need pedalling to go. And it is greener than a car.

I am interested myself but as I am retired I may have to buy one! Going have a look at the cost see whats what with them.

RETIRED WITH GRACE
Last edit: by Bruce.

UK inflation hits 9%, highest since 1982, amid Russia-Ukraine war 4 weeks 10 hours ago #3825063

• Sandgrounder
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
Might start looking into the cost of having an electric bike, if fuel prices don't show a sign of coming down soon .

UK inflation hits 9%, highest since 1982, amid Russia-Ukraine war 4 weeks 9 hours ago #3825070

• KayyGee
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 627
  • Honor Medal 2010

Sandgrounder wrote: Might start looking into the cost of having an electric bike, if fuel prices don't show a sign of coming down soon .

The price of fuel on world markets has come down, about 40% over the last month and is expected to drop further on fears of a recession, however the retail price has barely moved.

UK inflation hits 9%, highest since 1982, amid Russia-Ukraine war 3 weeks 2 days ago #3827051

• Sandgrounder
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
On our national news yesterday, inflation has edged up again and is showing no signs of falling any time soon here in the UK. Once the new energy price increases come in to play in the autumn, there will be more pressure on prices and inflation continuing to increase .

UK inflation hits 9%, highest since 1982, amid Russia-Ukraine war 3 weeks 2 days ago #3827167

• GerryM
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 452
  • Honor Medal 2010

Bruce wrote: A few people I know are joing the scheme where they pay monthly and can get electric assisted pedal bikes to use to get to work and back, there is many silly laws on electric assisted bikes but the scheme who runs it knows the legal way, something to do with it has to be under 250watt and not be able to do over 15.5 mph etc etc but many are now using them as it is telling the fuel companies to shove their prices and it keeps us fitter than driving as the bikes need pedalling to go. And it is greener than a car.

I am interested myself but as I am retired I may have to buy one! Going have a look at the cost see whats what with them.

There are so many new bikes being sold in the US now. I bet very soon the price for used ones will be really dropping. Just be careful and choose a brand that been around a while. The batteries do wear out and the one on my bike a RAD Min4 is about 600 dollars new. Thats a big chunk of the entire price of the bike.

UK inflation hits 9%, highest since 1982, amid Russia-Ukraine war 3 weeks 21 hours ago #3827539

• DaveA
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 50
  • Honor Medal 2010
Summer dancing stated - - "Oddly, clothing has remained steady--not going up as much as food and gas."

Thankfully, you won't have to appear "in the flesh" while out and about in public, how ever that IS an available option.
On the other hand, were you to run out of gas and food there aren't too many options available.

UK inflation hits 9%, highest since 1982, amid Russia-Ukraine war 3 weeks 8 hours ago #3827705

• Aida
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1163
  • Honor Medal 2010
Valdimir Putin is spitting in the face of the UN grain deal by firing missiles at the Black Sea port of Odesa the day after the agreement is signed.
Well, what else would you expect ?

‘ Freedom from’ without ‘freedom to’ is not freedom at all.
Last edit: by Aida.

UK inflation hits 9%, highest since 1982, amid Russia-Ukraine war 2 weeks 2 days ago #3829723

• Sandgrounder
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
After the bombshell on the national news last night, we can now expect inflation to continue onwards and upwards, well into next year .

Moderators: MoonlitRoads63
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds