Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: UK inflation hits 9%, highest since 1982, amid Russia-Ukraine war

UK inflation hits 9%, highest since 1982, amid Russia-Ukraine war 2 months 3 weeks ago #3801543

• coldfeet
  • coldfeet's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 93
  • Honor Medal 2010
How bad is this affecting you?

The UK has the highest inflation rate of Europe’s five biggest economies, with soaring energy bills being the biggest inflation driver.

Inflation in the United Kingdom surged last month to its highest annual rate in 40 years, official data show, piling pressure on the government to step up assistance for households facing a worsening cost-of-living crisis.

Consumer price inflation hit 9 percent in April, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) said on Wednesday, surpassing the peaks of the early 1990s recession that many Britons remember for sky-high interest rates and widespread mortgage defaults.

The UK now has the highest inflation rate of Europe’s five biggest economies and almost certainly of the Group of Seven countries, with Canada and Japan yet to report figures for April. Neither is likely to match Britain’s inflation level.!!!
The following user(s) said Well Said: Ruetends

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More Honey, Less Vinegar!

UK inflation hits 9%, highest since 1982, amid Russia-Ukraine war 2 months 3 weeks ago #3801545

• Mandycakes
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 187
  • Honor Medal 2010
Speaking personally, apart from making me less well off, it means I have to make the necessary adjustments to live within my means. It's a positive insofar I shall consume less. However, that may be negative for those who own or work in businesses reliant on consumers.
My sympathies are with those who were already on the breadline pre soaring inflation and innocent children.
The following user(s) said Well Said: coldfeet, Pascalou, Eira, Ruetends

UK inflation hits 9%, highest since 1982, amid Russia-Ukraine war 2 months 3 weeks ago #3801547

• KayyGee
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 627
  • Honor Medal 2010
I'm still fairly comfortable on my pension and while things have gone up, the ones that might impact hardest, like fuel, I'm already using less. My interest is what my pension increase in June will be as it is meant to be linked to our CPI (Consumer Price Index), if things are really as bad as some say I should be in for a nice little windfall increase, bet it doesn't happen though.
The following user(s) said Well Said: coldfeet, GerryM, jon565

UK inflation hits 9%, highest since 1982, amid Russia-Ukraine war 2 months 3 weeks ago #3801596

• senile1
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 574
  • Honor Medal 2010
This a world wide occurrence which can be attributed to the on going pandemic and current world events, and is being capitalized on by big Corporations around the world, especially big Oil. In the United States the political genius' blame it on the political party in power, and over look the big profits large Corporation are reaping, who foot the majority of money getting these worthless buffoons elected in the first place.
The following user(s) said Well Said: coldfeet

UK inflation hits 9%, highest since 1982, amid Russia-Ukraine war 2 months 3 weeks ago #3801822

• KayyGee
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 627
  • Honor Medal 2010
9% is not a good look for a supposed global economic leader, though it can be said that it brought this on it's self, through a number of miss-steps motivated by politics over good sense, keeping the old boys happy over the needs of the people. Still spare a thought for Turkey, their rate is a whisker short of 70%, yes 70% but they can't expect any outside help, in fact I doubt they would ask.

UK inflation hits 9%, highest since 1982, amid Russia-Ukraine war 2 months 3 weeks ago #3801843

• GerryM
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 452
  • Honor Medal 2010
The US is on track for an inflation rate of 8.3 percent the worst since 1980. Rates of inflation have been cycling for a decade, they happen continuously. It's amazing how President Biden can affect the inflation rate throughout most of the world. Thats a lot of power.
I wonder if the pandemic for essentially two years, climate change, industries disrupted, poor crops, droughts, Russian aggression in Ukraine, and partisan politics might have a hand in that?
Even good ole Canada is on track for 6.7 inflation... I can't believe President Biden is that powerful.
The following user(s) said Well Said: coldfeet, KayyGee, DaveA

Last edit: by GerryM.

UK inflation hits 9%, highest since 1982, amid Russia-Ukraine war 2 months 3 weeks ago #3801852

• Summerdancing
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 340
  • Honor Medal 2010
We have the highest gas prices in the country. Food has skyrocketed. My favourite salad has gone up from $5.00 a bag to over $7.00. A glass of wine in a restaurant is now around $15-17--used to be $10-12.

Oddly, clothing has remained steady--not going up as much as food and gas.

I am fortunate that I don't need much....feel sorry for families with growing children especially if they have to drive them everywhere.

UK inflation hits 9%, highest since 1982, amid Russia-Ukraine war 2 months 3 weeks ago #3801975

• senile1
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 574
  • Honor Medal 2010

Summerdancing wrote: We have the highest gas prices in the country. Food has skyrocketed. My favourite salad has gone up from $5.00 a bag to over $7.00. A glass of wine in a restaurant is now around $15-17--used to be $10-12.

Oddly, clothing has remained steady--not going up as much as food and gas.

I am fortunate that I don't need much....feel sorry for families with growing children especially if they have to drive them everywhere.

................big oil and it's investors are laughing all the way to the bank, and paying little, if any taxes on it's profits.

UK inflation hits 9%, highest since 1982, amid Russia-Ukraine war 2 months 3 weeks ago #3802705

• Sandgrounder
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1788
  • Honor Medal 2010
Noticed when I did some shopping yesterday at my local supermarket, the cost of the petrol has gone back up by around 6 pence since I last put some in the car .
The following user(s) said Well Said: Hoot N Annie

UK inflation hits 9%, highest since 1982, amid Russia-Ukraine war 2 months 2 weeks ago #3803694

• Sandgrounder
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1788
  • Honor Medal 2010
Watched the Martin Lewis programme last night, he did not paint a pretty picture of where the UK was heading, as we head towards the Autumn .
The following user(s) said Well Said: Hoot N Annie

Moderators: MoonlitRoads63
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds