Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What do you remember when young?

What do you remember when young? 4 months 4 weeks ago #3971416

• SP1952
  • New Buzzer
  • New Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3
5 years old and my first day at primary school. Teacher sat me on her knee and said 'now I can say I've taught all the family'. I am the youngest of 11 and she taught everyone of us. Miss Firzgerald was her name.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Sunkist

Please Log in to join the conversation.

What do you remember when young? 4 months 4 weeks ago #3971495

• Robin
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 281
  • Honor Medal 2010
some of the memories i remember, freezing in Fargo ND one winter. My brother being shot in Turkey, the assassination of JFK when I lived in Turkey. bailing hay, several trailers hooked behind the bailer, adults would throw them to the trailer behind, me and my brother had to drag them to the back of the trailer and adult would throw them to the next trailer. when the last trailer was full they would disconnect and they would stack on my trailer. again we would drag it back to the adult, he would throw it up to the person stacking the hay. Always fishing in my grandpas lake. to get out of the house one winter, had to get out using the 2d story window because the snow was so high. a Nun kissing me when i got to school and a nun whacking my knuckles with a ruler this was the early 60's

Last edit: by Robin.

What do you remember when young? 4 months 4 weeks ago #3971506

• QuinTSensual
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1043
  • Honor Medal 2010
That Parents were Proactive. Correcting there Siblings formative extremes.
Out Off. Rebuilding UK. and personal Wellbeing.
Household financial necessity. Mothers required to supplement, by being employed.
Household responsibilities, by there very nature. Exhausting and limiting.
>> Slippage.
And that of peer influencers. Morality and Discipline undiscovered. Thus Un correctable.
By other than School Teachers. With little specific, other than curriculum. Exasperated by curtailment of censure.
Subsequent Generation to generation behaviour, perpetuated. By Emphasis/Interpretation of "Freedom". Misconstrued.
>> The Here and Now!

"Out of the Eyes and Words of Children. We 'May', be best Known."

What do you remember when young? 4 months 4 weeks ago #3971923

• man of kent
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Keeper - I do remember Swansea - being bombed - we were 10 miles from Swansea - we could see the flames
from there - At 14 - I was a Telegram Boy - then at 15 - I was DIRECTED into wartime work - a dream job - for
a 15 year old boy - l joined - the A.R.P. Service at 14 - as an A.R.P. Messenger - our job was to take messages
on our bikes to Headquarters - if our phones were knock out. - We went with a Warden touring the streets -
to see if there was a chink of light showing - hence the cry " Put - THE LIGHT OUT" - we yelled.

My dream job was directed into Short Brothers factory Production Office - making Sunderland Flying Boats.
( Another Messenger type job - delivering ` Flimsy`s ` ( work sheets) - to various work stores..

Last edit: by man of kent.

What do you remember when young? 4 months 4 weeks ago #3971981

• Bruce
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 265
  • Honor Medal 2010
What do you remember when young?

Life was a whole lot simpler! We had a vast majority of normal people in the world no do-gooders no snowflakes no complete morons telling us our school has to have sex education by cross dressing folk for 4 year olds, no fear of going out play and never being seen again, no mobile phones, no where near as much traffic, No chemicals on my fruit and veg,

And that gorgeous smell of the old tarmac they used when making new roads, the smell of all the freshly cut grass in the parks was somehow more stronger and much nicer back then.
Huge homemade Trifles which using todays ingredients from supermarkets is just not the same! looking at you jelly!
The following user(s) said Well Said: Dennis 2

RETIRED WITH GRACE

What do you remember when young? 4 months 4 weeks ago #3972174

• Milly95
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
We played outside, used our imagination, climbed trees and learned to work out our differences

What do you remember when young? 4 months 4 weeks ago #3972197

• man of kent
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
There was ONE car - parked outside our school - the only car for miles around - that belonged to our
woodwork teacher. Bread - milk - was delivered by horse & cart - At 10 years old we made our own bikes -
Someone found a frame - a wheel or two - no tyres - With one of dad`s spanners - we managed to put it
together. Sunday school - if we attended - we were given a token - we could get into their picture show
for a half penny - instead of one penny - So we attended every week - so that mum & dad could have a rest.
No buses then - only a DD bus that a mechanic used to drive -to test the bus after repairs - that came up our
steep hill - we used to wait until he was opposite us - then run & jump on the back of the bus - using the hand
rail to grab hold of - When he got to the top of our hill - we speeded up - before some of us - could jump off -
then we had a mile - to walk back.
Happy Days.

Last edit: by man of kent.

What do you remember when young? 4 months 4 weeks ago #3972200

• Ivorbigwedge
  • Away
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 91
  • Honor Medal 2010
I remember the Co-Op milkman in his electric milk cart, also when milk had cream on the top tongue.png
The following user(s) said Well Said: QuinTSensual, Bruce

A perfect martini should be made by filling a glass with gin, then waving it in the general direction of Italy.

Never argue with an idiot......they will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

What do you remember when young? 4 months 3 weeks ago #3972280

• QuinTSensual
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1043
  • Honor Medal 2010

Ivorbigwedge wrote: I remember the Co-Op milkman in his electric milk cart, also when milk had cream on the top tongue.png

[/color]
<< Gets a flea in his ear. For ordering Asda FULL Milk. "Its bad 4U"! :ohmy:
Get this Gem. When I waz "Milk Monitor" Wiff a Badge. :laugh:
The crate would arrive. Half pints, under card tops. That had Popped Off. Due to the CREAM expanding.
Hurried inside before the Gulls could pop on it. And dished out. Certainly don't recall anyone becoming obese.
Got a Dan Dare Eagle comic to share, for all that pristine Management. :ohmy:

"Out of the Eyes and Words of Children. We 'May', be best Known."

What do you remember when young? 4 months 3 weeks ago #3972294

• lozzy
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 134
  • Honor Medal 2010
I remember jumping on the back of the milk carts …lol.

Moderators: mikePatsMoonlitRoads63
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds