TOPIC: What do you remember when young?

What do you remember when young? 7 months 4 weeks ago #3941701

• caretaker
  • caretaker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 139
  • Honor Medal 2010
I can remember my dad leaning over an old Valve TV changing bits to get it going and he had a fag hanging from his lips.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Aida, R u e

Please Log in to join the conversation.

I love my spell checker.
Have a nice day to one and all.

What do you remember when young? 7 months 4 weeks ago #3941716

• Aida
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1398
  • Honor Medal 2010
I remember being taken to the village show on a meadow at the back of the local pub. I remember the smells :
cut hay, the stink of animal urine from pet rabbits in cages, the heavenly scent of cut flowers in the flower show tent, and the whiff of ale coming from the beer tent accompanied by raucous laughter.

I remember the sound of a marching ‘kazoo’ band and their black and red costumes with brass buttons. At the front was a majorette twirling a baton. I was transfixed.

We had a good look around. Stopped and talked to people we knew and the latest gossip was passed on…”Did you hear about so and so …?”
It was a hot day , the sky began to darken and then came sharp crack of thunder. Mom grabbed my hand and we made a dash for home before we were drenched by the rain that followed. She was terrified of thunder storms.
Even now, whenever I smell cut hay I think of that field, that hot Saturday, and my first visit to the village show.
The following user(s) said Well Said: caretaker

'Take the log out of your own eye then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.'
Matthew 7: 5
Last edit: by Aida.

What do you remember when young? 7 months 4 weeks ago #3941720

• Dennis 2
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 335
  • Honor Medal 2010
All the hunting and camping trips my family did usually for a week at a time, also my parents letting me miss school the opening day of hunting seasons bird and especially deer.
The following user(s) said Well Said: caretaker, Aida

Schöne Dinge passieren in Ihrem Leben, wenn Sie sich distanzieren und negative Dinge und Menschen entfernen.

What do you remember when young? 7 months 4 weeks ago #3941844

• sciguy18
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 841
  • Honor Medal 2010
I remember my nonna (Italian grandmother) making ravioli.
The following user(s) said Well Said: caretaker, Keeper, Aida

What do you remember when young? 7 months 4 weeks ago #3941858

• Keeper
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1362
  • Honor Medal 2010
I can remember "gangs" of us children, roaming the mountains. It was safe to do so then, not now though, times have changed.
We picked tinsfull of Whimberries, which grow close to the ground, and took them home for Mam to cook in a pie. smile.png I was naughty, if I ate one, I ate all mine. Mam didn't really mind though. :lol: I loved Whimberries.

"What is another name for wimberry?
Vaccinium myrtillus - Wikipedia
Vaccinium myrtillus or European blueberry is a holarctic species of shrub with edible fruit of blue color, known by the common names bilberry, blaeberry, wimberry, and whortleberry."
[/size]
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Well Said: caretaker, Aida

PEACE to the world

What do you remember when young? 7 months 4 weeks ago #3941950

• Aida
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1398
  • Honor Medal 2010
I remember women gossiping over garden walls, arms folded in front of them , hushed tones when kiddies appeared, especially if talking about women’s ailments, using terrifying euphemisms such as , “She’s got to have everything taken away”, with fingers pointing to nether regions.

In my day, grandmothers wore cross over pinafores or aprons over their house-frocks to keep them clean . These sensible cotton cover - ups seemed to lend older women an air of authority.

Looking back it’s horrific to recall just how many people smoked. I am glad times have changed in that respect.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Keeper, CountryGuy65, waimiha

'Take the log out of your own eye then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.'
Matthew 7: 5
Last edit: by Aida.

What do you remember when young? 7 months 4 weeks ago #3941959

• CountryGuy65
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 419
I remember my dad taking the family to a carnival that came to town each year. The earliest time that I remember going was about when I was about 4 years old. I remember the top of my head coming halfway past my parents knees as I walked between them holding their hands. I was in the middle, my younger sister was on the left, and my older brother was on the right as we walked through the carnival holding our parents hands. My older sister was old enough to walk alone, so they didn't have to worry about her keeping up and getting lost in the crowd. I'm sure there were a couple of times before then that they carried me in their arms or pushed me in a carriage, but of course I can't remember that.
This particular time though, I remember walking past the sideshows looking at the many people gathered in front to watch. I remember riding on the carousel with my mother holding me on, while my dad held on my brother, and my oldest sister holding our youngest sister, then watching my dad play a ring toss game in which he won a prize, that he gave to our mother. I remember watching my oldest sister riding on a coaster by herself as we waved. I remember my dad getting us hot dogs, cotton candy and sodas. I remember leaving, and my parents putting us in the car. I must have fallen asleep, because the next thing I remember is waking up in my bed the next morning.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Rosie 2 UK, Keeper, Aida

What do you remember when young? 7 months 4 weeks ago #3941964

• Rosie 2 UK
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1676
  • Honor Medal 2010
I remember when I was around 15 years old ,,my dad would not allow me to go to the local dancehall nearby .did I listen No , there I was dancing with some lad ,when I was suddenly grabbed by the arms and taken unceremoniously out of the hall ,,it was dad ,,bless him.
The following user(s) said Well Said: cahoots, Keeper, Jane R, Aida, CountryGuy65

What do you remember when young? 7 months 4 weeks ago #3941983

• Keeper
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1362
  • Honor Medal 2010
Another memory of mine when I was young. Mam took me to a circus, but had to bring me from there. I remember her talking to another lady on our way home, saying "she was crying, because the clowns were hurting one another".....throwing pies in one onother's face, I expect.
The following user(s) said Well Said: cahoots, CountryGuy65

PEACE to the world

What do you remember when young? 7 months 4 weeks ago #3942050

• caretaker
  • caretaker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 139
  • Honor Medal 2010
My dad often worked abroad he was three years at Bahrain airport my mum told me my dad will be coming home today, later there was a loud knock on the door Mum told me to answer it, stood at the door was this man with a white turban with a black band on the top, I ran in crying to mum.
Yes, it was my dad dressed up as an Arab sheik.
The following user(s) said Well Said: CountryGuy65

I love my spell checker.
Have a nice day to one and all.
Moderators: mikePatsMoonlitRoads63
Time to create page: 0.442 seconds