Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Eighteen

Eighteen 8 months 4 weeks ago #3718019

• Starfish2
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 33
For me life at turning 18 was not particularly pleasant. I was doing a job I didn't like and I'd been ill for four years which deprived me of the normal life young people have at that age. Girls didn't fancy me. What made matters worse was the prospect of being drafted the following year because I was considered fit enough to serve in the army. Military service in communist regimes is like a prison sentence. It can't be compared to that in free societies. So three more depressing years to go before things improved at the age of 21.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Robin

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Eighteen 8 months 3 weeks ago #3718375

• helloDarling
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
does the UK stil have the draft ?

Eighteen 8 months 3 weeks ago #3718652

• Starfish2
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 33

helloDarling wrote: does the UK stil have the draft ?

I don't think so.

Eighteen 6 months 1 day ago #3758626

• man of kent
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 124
  • Honor Medal 2010
No the UK does not still have the draft - it was called ` the calling up papers )
I had those - after I had had an operation for Peritonitus at 18.
I attended a Maidstone room - for my RAF medical - like dozens of others - stripped stood
inline - then into a room. The doctor sounded my chest - then he shook is head - sorry lad
put your clothed back on - I was given a medical card with F4 on it.
Sorry Maywalk - did not see your earlier post.

MAGPIE.-- the bird
Last edit: by man of kent.

Eighteen 5 months 2 hours ago #3771949

• dasher13
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I turned 18 in my last month of Marine Corps boot camp at Parris Island, SC. I had joined the Marine right after I graduated from high school.

Eighteen 4 months 2 weeks ago #3777688

• IJ001
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

helloDarling wrote: does the UK stil have the draft ?

Nope 'National Service' was discontinued in 1960 three years before I was born.

What was I doing at 18 ? - finished my A-Levels in July, and joined the RAF. Also some 'typical' eighteen year old stuff, that I won't mention here, but y'all know what I'm talking 'bout, right ?

Best from NZ.

Eighteen 4 months 2 weeks ago #3778643

• Agent47
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 108
Some may say its a pity that its not brought back. May give some of these kids a trade & to learn discipline amongst other things

Last edit: by Agent47.

Eighteen 4 months 2 weeks ago #3778773

• Dennis 2
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 679
  • Honor Medal 2010
Just before I turned 19, I was at Ft Wolters, Tx in flight school. I shall never forget my instructor's famous words before solo "Please do not return this all bent up!"
The following user(s) said Well Said: Agent47

Schöne Dinge passieren in Ihrem Leben, wenn Sie sich distanzieren und negative Dinge und Menschen entfernen.

Eighteen 4 months 2 weeks ago #3778777

• Bruce
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1005
  • Honor Medal 2010
At 18 I was working 6 days a week and 2 nights a week. Where I was raised we didn't have anything really apart from honesty and a hard working attitude. I did have a few nights off when I took up playing darts in a club and kept doing that for many years until about 2 years back when I got calcified tendonitis in my shoulder, many jabs later it is far better than it was but I doubt I will ever achieve the levels I did before the shoulder problem! so is life move on to something new.

At 18 I had a few quid in my pocket as I was working so chased girls bought a road worthy car lol and enjoyed every second of being young, a friend of my dad's once said to me when I was 16, "These next 10 years of your life will be the best ever for discovering yourself now go and enjoy it and don't forget a second of it as when you reach my age you don't want me looking back thinking I wish I had done this or that" I took his words onboard and had fun wink.png
The following user(s) said Well Said: Dennis 2, MoonlitRoads63

RETIRED WITH GRACE

Eighteen 4 months 1 week ago #3779872

• Trippy Hippie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
At 18 years old I was finishing my Senior year of high school and working part time as a cashier at a local grocery store. I spent most of my free time just hanging out with my friends, going to the mall shopping, the movies, and parties. I remember the big plan for me and my friends was after graduation party across the State on the Eastern Shore and what a week that was.

Moderators: PascaloumikePatsMoonlitRoads63
Time to create page: 0.071 seconds