Please Log in to join the conversation.

Tonsillectomy 1 week 6 days ago #3577588

• RichardA
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 834
  • Honor Medal 2010
Having your tonsils out as a child makes you three times as likely to suffer from common colds and other respiratory infections, and may leave you more vulnerable to a host of other infectious diseases, a study has concluded.26 Jun 2018

The same goes for adenoids.

Question: What proportion of older Covid patients suffering more serious complications have had their tonsils and/or their adenoids removed as children I wonder?
The following user(s) said Well Said: oldal

Tonsillectomy 1 week 6 days ago #3577595

• Pats
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Well said received: 5095
  • Honor Medal 2010

RichardA wrote: Having your tonsils out as a child makes you three times as likely to suffer from common colds and other respiratory infections, and may leave you more vulnerable to a host of other infectious diseases, a study has concluded.26 Jun 2018

The main function of tonsils is to help stop bacteria from getting farther down the throat.
However, a tonsillectomy doesn't put you at risk for more infections. In fact, some get fewer throat infections after tonsillectomies.
Happy to help.

Tonsillectomy 1 week 6 days ago #3577607

• RichardA
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Pats wrote:

RichardA wrote: Having your tonsils out as a child makes you three times as likely to suffer from common colds and other respiratory infections, and may leave you more vulnerable to a host of other infectious diseases, a study has concluded.26 Jun 2018

The main function of tonsils is to help stop bacteria from getting farther down the throat.
However, a tonsillectomy doesn't put you at risk for more infections. In fact, some get fewer throat infections after tonsillectomies.

Fewer sore throats may be the case but what of the bacteria and viruses now not being trapped and dealt with in the primary defence barrier provided by the tonsil/adenoid combination? Does this result in more serious respiratory tract infections? More serious than a sore throat for a few days at least.

Tonsillectomy 1 week 6 days ago #3577611

• AntiqueLace1
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1462
  • Honor Medal 2010
Had mine out at 8 years old, I did not like it at all, and remember it clearly.

Tonsillectomy 1 week 6 days ago #3577614

• Pats
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Honor Medal 2010

RichardA wrote:

Pats wrote:

Fewer sore throats may be the case but what of the bacteria and viruses now not being trapped and dealt with in the primary defence barrier provided by the tonsil/adenoid combination? Does this result in more serious respiratory tract infections? More serious than a sore throat for a few days at least.

Tonsils are just one part of the immune system, removing them doesn't affect your body's ability to fight infections.
And you don't need your tonsils, so there are no long-term consequences for having them removed,
Studies have shown that adults without tonsils have fewer throat infections and fewer sore throats than those adults who do not have their tonsils removed.
Happy to help.

Last edit: by Pats.

Tonsillectomy 1 week 6 days ago #3577676

• RichardA
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Pats wrote:

RichardA wrote:

Pats wrote:

Tonsils are just one part of the immune system, removing them doesn't affect your body's ability to fight infections.
And you don't need your tonsils, so there are no long-term consequences for having them removed,
Studies have shown that adults without tonsils have fewer throat infections and fewer sore throats than those adults who do not have their tonsils removed.

As you stated previously.
I am aware that tonsils and adenoids are not the bodies sole defence against infection....I refer you back to my original study report....
"Having your tonsils out as a child makes you three times as likely to suffer from common colds and other respiratory infections, and may leave you more vulnerable to a host of other infectious diseases, a study has concluded.26 Jun 2018."

I believe you have missed the point that is being made.

'Quote' Adenoids are a patch of tissue that is high up in the throat, just behind the nose. They, along with the tonsils, are part of the lymphatic system. The lymphatic system clears away infection and keeps body fluids in balance. The adenoids and tonsils work by trapping germs coming in through the mouth and nose. 6 Mar 2020

The authors said it was perhaps “not surprising” that removing these key parts of the body's immune system might undermine detection and susceptibility to respiratory infections.
But they also found heightened susceptibility to 28 different types of disease, including parasitic infections, skin diseases and eye complaints – 78 per cent of these were experienced more commonly in people who had these surgeries.
These are unrelated to the airways and suggest there is some knock-on impact on the immune system from the loss of your tonsils or from the repeated minor infections this brings – this may become even more pronounced as the population ages.
Our results show increased risks for long-term diseases after surgery, support delaying tonsil and adenoid removal if possible, which could aid normal immune system development in childhood and reduce these possible later-life disease risks,” said lead author Dr Shaun Bayers, from the University of Melbourne.

Last edit: by RichardA.

Tonsillectomy 1 week 5 days ago #3577771

• QuietMouse01
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 418
  • Honor Medal 2010
Had mine removed at a very young age...
I remember the op was cancelled at the last minute...
my parents didnt have a phone line, so took ages to collect me from the hospital...
I was the last one in the ward, crying my eyes out, my teddy dropped on the floor,
the nurse threw it at me, and told me to be quiet !
Funny how things stick in your mind !
Today is the tomorrow
you worried about yesterday -
and all is well...

Tonsillectomy 1 week 5 days ago #3577782

• oldal
  • oldal's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1474
  • Honor Medal 2010

Question: What proportion of older Covid patients suffering more serious complications have had their tonsils and/or their adenoids removed as children I wonder?

That's a good question, has anyone seen any statistics on that?
Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end

Tonsillectomy 1 week 5 days ago #3577958

• Pats
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Honor Medal 2010

oldal wrote:

That's a good question, has anyone seen any statistics on that?

Adenoids, which shrink by adolescence in most individuals, are designed to trap germs that enter through the nose, tonsils a similar function, catching microscopic substances that come in via the mouth.

Studies have shown that removal doesn’t adversely affect a body’s ability to fight off infection.

Whether there is any difference with Covid-19 we have yet to learn.
Happy to help.

Moderators: Pascaloumike
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds