Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What are some vivid memories growing up?

What are some vivid memories growing up? 2 weeks 6 days ago #3518154

• TwistNShout
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 192
  • Honor Medal 2010

Rips wrote:

TwistNShout wrote:

Rips wrote: I remember the summers as long sunny days spent on beach at Hayling island with the extended family mum and dad my brother & two sisters ,aunts ,uncles ,cousins ,nan and grandad .
For a month most summers we’d rent holiday cottages on the sea front.
Hayling has a small funfair I’ve vivid memories of the ghost train :unsure: candy floss and pedalos.

We were on the seafront at Hayling last weekend, there are a few more houses on the island but it hasn't changed much.

At the Beachlands it’s wall to wall houses now and the beach has lost its sand ...it’s all pebbles now.
We stayed at Eaststoke near the lifeboat station .
Have you visited the grave of the Russian princess Catherine she lived on Hayling .
was a member of the Hayling WI ,was good at making hats and drinking sherry.

When I was a kid we stayed in several different places, including once in an old railway carriage that been converted into a holiday home.

As I recall the stones were deposited as "cheap" sea defences quite a few years ago, my childhood memories are of far more sand.

I had forgotten all about the princess! I do remember visiting the grave and must take my wife the next time we are down. We often go to Northney farm tea room which isn't far from the church.
vivamus vitae non paenitenda

Please Log in to join the conversation.

What are some vivid memories growing up? 2 weeks 6 days ago #3518183

• QuinTSensual
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3399
  • Honor Medal 2010
Teenage Regattas'. On a stream, you could almost jump across.
Boats made from remnant air-raid shelter corrugated iron. Someone sat on it, while others bent it around them.
Secured each end by wooden orange box ends and sealed with spillover road tarmac. Metal milk crates as launching piers.
Whatever the weather months of fun. The most memorable being Clive.
Who had a 10" combe and a the best Tony Curtis quiff on the block. And always wore his school cap, perched on the back of his head. Never inclined to risk his street cred, getting wet. He was coerced to reluctantly participate.
Slap, bang, wallop!
At the deepest stretch, the wooden ends popped out. Corrugated iron sprung flat, boat sinking like a lead balloon.
The picture of Clive, sat with water to his shoulders, holding his cap on, while combing his quiff. Less than happy and longtime reminded of. A dozen pals laughing their socks off.
Happy days. Simple pleasure's.
"Out of the Eyes and Words of Children. We 'May', be best Known."

What are some vivid memories growing up? 2 weeks 6 days ago #3518223

• Rips
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1914
  • Honor Medal 2010

TwistNShout wrote:

Rips wrote:

TwistNShout wrote:

Rips wrote: I remember the summers as long sunny days spent on beach at Hayling island with the extended family mum and dad my brother & two sisters ,aunts ,uncles ,cousins ,nan and grandad .
For a month most summers we’d rent holiday cottages on the sea front.
Hayling has a small funfair I’ve vivid memories of the ghost train :unsure: candy floss and pedalos.

We were on the seafront at Hayling last weekend, there are a few more houses on the island but it hasn't changed much.

At the Beachlands it’s wall to wall houses now and the beach has lost its sand ...it’s all pebbles now.
We stayed at Eaststoke near the lifeboat station .
Have you visited the grave of the Russian princess Catherine she lived on Hayling .
was a member of the Hayling WI ,was good at making hats and drinking sherry.

When I was a kid we stayed in several different places, including once in an old railway carriage that been converted into a holiday home.

As I recall the stones were deposited as "cheap" sea defences quite a few years ago, my childhood memories are of far more sand.

I had forgotten all about the princess! I do remember visiting the grave and must take my wife the next time we are down. We often go to Northney farm tea room which isn't far from the church.

When I was little child the The Puffing Billy train still ran from Havant to Beachland
Yes Northney tearoom yummy cakes and garden centre .
The following user(s) said Well Said: TwistNShout

What are some vivid memories growing up? 2 weeks 5 days ago #3518519

• Aida
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2526
  • Honor Medal 2010
Many of my memories from childhood revolve around living in a pit village.
As a small child I used to watch the coal trucks going up and down the mineral line backwards and forwards to and from the pit . We kids knew the engines and gave them names, Blackie, The Beast....we knew the engine drivers who called out to us to stand back from the line.
Then there was the slurry pool, bible-black, beckoning us to throw in large stones and bricks and listen to the slapping sucking noise as they disappeared. If mum found out I’d been to the slurry pool it was a pocket money stopper.
As a teenager I stood with other girls on the canal bridge and watched in the gloom, breathing in the damp night air , as the young pit boys cycled home from work along the lanes, their headlamps creating a snake of light in the distance.
And always there was the fear : several friends lost their fathers in pit accidents. I recall the sound of the siren, my dad , who was in the rescue team, not coming home from his shift, and the next day sitting on the pavement with other kids waiting for news after a rock fall in the mine. My mother wringing her hands , making endless cups of tea and dad, shaking his head over and over when he finally came home with the bad news of his lost friends.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Eira, Keeper

Last edit: by Aida.

What are some vivid memories growing up? 2 weeks 2 days ago #3519940

• Keeper
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2059
  • Honor Medal 2010

Aida wrote: Many of my memories from childhood revolve around living in a pit village.
As a small child I used to watch the coal trucks going up and down the mineral line backwards and forwards to and from the pit . We kids knew the engines and gave them names, Blackie, The Beast....we knew the engine drivers who called out to us to stand back from the line.
Then there was the slurry pool, bible-black, beckoning us to throw in large stones and bricks and listen to the slapping sucking noise as they disappeared. If mum found out I’d been to the slurry pool it was a pocket money stopper.
As a teenager I stood with other girls on the canal bridge and watched in the gloom, breathing in the damp night air , as the young pit boys cycled home from work along the lanes, their headlamps creating a snake of light in the distance.
And always there was the fear : several friends lost their fathers in pit accidents. I recall the sound of the siren, my dad , who was in the rescue team, not coming home from his shift, and the next day sitting on the pavement with other kids waiting for news after a rock fall in the mine. My mother wringing her hands , making endless cups of tea and dad, shaking his head over and over when he finally came home with the bad news of his lost friends.

That was so well written, and so moving........thank you Aida
The following user(s) said Well Said: Eira

What are some vivid memories growing up? 1 week 4 days ago #3522549

• mobydick
  • New Buzzer
  • New Buzzer
  • Well said received: 0
Well funnily enough..... I had my sister over for lunch today and I happened to mention to her how lucky we were to have grown up in the 1950's/1960's I am more than happy to state we grew up in a pretty good era. My sister, 6yrs older than me, had the wonderful experience of rock'n'roll jive great movies experiences at the cinema. I too enjoyed that period but also had what I consider to be the best teenage years, the 60's. Still rock'n'roll, jive etc, but the super bonus of more beach boys - everly brothers - roy orbison - eddie cochran - johnny kid and the pirates - of course the beatles, rolling stones and many many more. Another point I made about that era was humourous songs - ernie fastest milk float in the west - right said fred -.... I could go on.....and on...........and o...n........ ok will shut up now

Moderators: Pascaloumike
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds