TOPIC: I Had A Very Lonely Childhood

I Had A Very Lonely Childhood 4 days 10 hours ago #3382064

• Toobroketoretire
  • Toobroketoretire's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 52
  • Honor Medal 2010
My mother gave birth to my older sister in 1943 then got pregnant with me in 1947. My mother hated men so when she had me (a son) she resented me from that moment on. She spoiled my sister rotten but she regarded me as being a ball and chain around her ankle. I am now 72 and my mother (now 101) still hates me. She worships the ground my sister walks on but has done nothing but criticize me my whole life. She got so mean and hateful toward me I finally had to break off all contact with her 10 years ago. Best thing I have ever done.
The following user(s) said Well Said: macywack, garland 2, Rosie 2 UK, Keeper, Rips, Wren, Meeooow, T65KBK, LoobyLoo, Mawai and 1 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

I Had A Very Lonely Childhood 4 days 10 hours ago #3382079

• T65KBK
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 4960
  • Honor Medal 2010
The thing is, those days are gone and it won't matter how much you think about them, it won't make any difference. The only thing you can do now to make the most of your life is do the things you like doing with the people you like being with. x
The following user(s) said Well Said: Rosie 2 UK, Keeper, Wren, JUJO, Meeooow, Mawai

I Had A Very Lonely Childhood 4 days 9 hours ago #3382110

• LoobyLoo
  • New Buzzer
  • New Buzzer
  • Well said received: 15
That's so sad to hear. My late husband had a similar experience with his mother, in that when we first met he had no concept of love as having a hug or a cuddle. He once said to me when I gave him a hug that he couldn't be like me ....( apparently I go round hugging everyone I meet) ...and he wasn't brought up like that. Eventually when our children were born he did learn and we spent many happy hugging years together. He was never close to his mother and it's sad she missed out.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Mawai

Last edit: by LoobyLoo.

I Had A Very Lonely Childhood 4 days 8 hours ago #3382118

• hcf3sf
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 783
  • Honor Medal 2010
Sorry to hear about your mother. I don't think my mother particularly liked boys either, she had three of them and no daughters but she didn't take it out on us. After I got through my mid teens I became really close to my mother, she died when I was in my mid 20s and I still miss her.

Blessings,
Harry

I Had A Very Lonely Childhood 4 days 5 hours ago #3382154

• grahamg
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1854
  • Honor Medal 2010
I had an aunt who apparently went the other way, and lavished all her love on her first born son, and didn't seem able to show the same care towards her next born daughter (my uncle was said to have had to step up and fill the void).

I was/am like my mum used to be, and maybe this helped me in a way, though a more overbearing mother at times you'd struggle to find, and my dad was certainly dominant if not domineering (if that makes sense, he was good to be around, even though fully in charge).

Perhaps it is worth accepting our parents did whatever they did as best they could (something my mother used to tell me, whilst I constantly criticised her!).

Last edit: by grahamg.

I Had A Very Lonely Childhood 4 days 4 hours ago #3382161

• tonytungsten
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 401
  • Honor Medal 2010
My mother didn't want me as she thought her third child was going to be the daughter she wished for. Two years later she had my sister. I was a forgotten person and was frequently told, 'I'll be glad when you leave home," plus the beatings I got from her at any little misdemeanor I committed.
When she became old and frail I sold my house to be near to her, and my wife would provide one major meal per day for her. I got the impression that was my duty and didn't need any thanks.
All in all, she was not a very nice person.
TT
The following user(s) said Well Said: Rosie 2 UK, Keeper, Mawai

I Had A Very Lonely Childhood 4 days 17 minutes ago #3382213

• JUJO
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3231
  • Honor Medal 2010
Both my parents are dead now, both my parents were truly fantastic,I couldn’t have asked for better parents, I feel so honoured and blessed to have had wonderful parents.

No home is complete without the pitter patter of kitty feet.

I Had A Very Lonely Childhood 4 days 6 minutes ago #3382218

• pascalou
  • Away
  • Well said received: 7086
  • Honor Medal 2010
I am so sad reading this thread.:(
To all of you who did not get maternal love I feel like giving a huge :xxx: .
What a heavy heart you might have had as a child....I guess this certainly has a huge impact on a person's personality building, self confidence etc.... :(
The following user(s) said Well Said: Rosie 2 UK, Keeper, Wren, JUJO, Mawai

Smile to life and life will smile back at you.
Last edit: by pascalou.

I Had A Very Lonely Childhood 4 days 3 minutes ago #3382220

• Meeooow
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 4159
  • Honor Medal 2010
How dreadful for you. The only thing is to try to understand her and forgive. Unless this is done, you carry that burden forever.
My mother loved her sons, I also suffered from a lack of love.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Rosie 2 UK, Keeper, Mawai

Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love.

To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.

When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

I Had A Very Lonely Childhood 3 days 23 hours ago #3382240

• Rips
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 6409
  • Honor Medal 2010
Hi Tobroke

Omg what an awful childhood very grim , it sounds like Harry Potter and those nasty Dursleys :ohmy:
I’m glad you managed to walk away.
Sometimes old saying sis do have some truth in them, your mum at 101 falls into the category of you can’t teach an old dog new tricks , I don’t think she could learn to love you it’s to late ... not that I would ever call an elderly person an old dog :evil:
Oh dear sometime what I want to say comes out wrong .

Last edit: by Rips.
  • Page:
Moderators: pascaloumike
Time to create page: 0.267 seconds