Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This category is closely linked with the social pages and is for Buzzers who want to make friends with others.
  • Page:

TOPIC: It baffles me

It baffles me 10 months 3 weeks ago #3079014

• JUJO
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
David and livingbynumbers,
Both,give yourselves a chance, you both deserve to have friends, friendship is wonderful,Enjoy it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

It baffles me 10 months 1 week ago #3088853

• weatherpoet
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 236
Just another angle because this is something I've always struggled with - the definition of a friend. In the "old days" you would meet people in the community, go out for a drink etc, sit together...and you would make friends.

In the "new days" we now have places like this where we can make new friends...but you can't share a drink, you can't sit with them, you can't see them (just a pic) but you can talk to them...or rather type to them...so does that really mean they're actually penfriends? Of course there are ways on the Net you can get to know who you're really talking to but not everyone feels comfortable to feel like they're sitting with their "friend" as they would quite naturally in the real world.

I do understand it but I do also find it a strange paradox. I do think though it should be making penfriends (typefriends - new term for this new age?) though unless you reach a stage where you feel comfortable to become true friends. It's a strange world we live in because of the Net, and that's what baffles me.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Gerrylady

It baffles me 10 months 5 days ago #3089836

• JUJO
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I enjoy friendship,regardless of whether it be pen friends which I have,email friends,and real life friends

It baffles me 10 months 3 days ago #3091503

• senile1
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I usually accept friend request and pm's, and try to answer all messages, but normally I stay pretty busy, and take a while to respond B) So I'm not a good mail buddy. B) I never extend friend requests, for I feel it is an obligation to communicate on a regular basis, which I'm not good @ B) If handled correctly, by all parties involved, this medium can be a good means of making friends around the globe B)

Last edit: by senile1.

It baffles me 10 months 1 day ago #3092598

• fastdawg1
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 882
  • Honor Medal 2010
I find the friend thing here a bit to navigate, but have become friends with a few people. Had to prove myself once or twice, but got through that too! LOL I'm open to all kinds of friends, but I have found a number of folks have had bad experiences and it makes them a bit shy about accepting or offering friendships. Me, I'm a typical outgoing American, I jump in with both feet, even if on occasion I get cut off at the knees. (or a newspaper to the snout)
The following user(s) said Well Said: Sue 8pal

Cowards die a thousand deaths, heroes die but once.

It baffles me 3 months 3 weeks ago #3227367

• Reci
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 67
So here's some perspective from a complete newbie (joined yesterday).

I am still finding my way around here so if it's newbies you are talking about, in terms of them not answering friends requests, well then, I can tell you for a fact I had no clue what I was doing when I first joined - still don't really although it's slowly getting better. I did find the whole friends request response thing confusing. I got 2 "automated" requests (thought they were actual people wanting to be friends - lol). Anyway, my point is, newbies need time to figure out how things work here. After all, we're dealing with seniors here - not techno-kids - lol.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Roary

It baffles me 3 months 6 days ago #3237526

• Shadowman
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2002
  • Honor Medal 2010
As far as the mechanics of the site go, there is little difference between a friend and non-friend, perhaps in chat which I do not use. There are a couple of threads that discuss it, and some people say they have their profile set to "Not looking for Friends" and others say they do not respond if the requester does not have real picture, others wait a day or two in case the request sender is a scammer. The scammers are usually removed in a day or two by Admin. Good Luck.

• Page:
Moderators: Patsmikesmilesrus10pascalou
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds