Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Online safety is really important and this category is devoted to our safety both online and in particular here on Buzz50

• Page:

TOPIC: Do not ring this number

Do not ring this number 1 month 4 days ago #3567900

• Aida
  • Aida's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3311
  • Honor Medal 2010
We woke early to find this number on our landline telephone visual display. 0871 231. 2000.
Without thinking I called it back then realised it was going to be a scam and put the phone down. The call lasted 3.09 seconds. When we got the bill we had been charged £1. O5.
The following user(s) said Well Said: cahoots, Keeper, WWWoody, Aries1950, AntiqueLace1

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Do not ring this number 1 month 4 days ago #3567906

• RichardA
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 833
  • Honor Medal 2010
Whether you're calling 0871 numbers from a mobile or landline, you must pay a premium charge for calling these numbers. Calling these numbers you can be paying up to 41p per minute making them one of the most expensive phone number prefixes in the UK.
The following user(s) said Well Said: cahoots, Keeper, QuinTSensual, WWWoody

Do not ring this number 1 month 4 days ago #3567908

• WWWoody
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1548
  • Honor Medal 2010
Scum of the Earth those folks are. Of course a lot of us remember our phone companies scumbagging their beloved customers too. Out of territory texts, calling card mistakes and many other technicalities. Pay the Piper when the bill came a month later. Nice business plan.
Murica!
The following user(s) said Well Said: cahoots, Keeper, Minnesota Mike

Do not ring this number 1 month 4 days ago #3567967

• cahoots
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1758
  • Honor Medal 2010
I usually Google/Bing or search for the number online before I call back Aida. There are some sites who flag up scam reports on numbers like Who Called Me? ... there are others but can't remember their names. Some charge for the service but there are free ones ... just type in the number you want to search for.

For example that number you dialled came up with the following info :

? The overall rating for phone number 08712312000 is Dangerous.There have been 10,790 phone lookups and 64 comments relating to this number. On this page: 16 Users rated it as Dangerous, 2 Users rated it as Neutral, 1 User rated it as Safe and 1 User rated it as Harassing.The summary of detected keywords found in the reports is as follow: scam (4 times), fraud (2 times), amazon (1 time). Business Rate numbers are numbers which aren't connected to a landline nor associated with a specific geographic location.

The prevailing review of 08712312000 indicates that it could be fake call pretending to be from Amazon and saying that your Amazon Prime subscription has expired.

Calls from 0871 231 2000 will sound convincing particularly if you have Amazon Prime! Bear in mind that this is a fake so they don't know if you have Amazon Prime : they assume you will only be tempted if you actually have a subscription to Amazon prime. They will offer to renew your subscription over the phone.

If it's an 08 0r 03 or clearly a mobile number I don't recognise I don't answer ... I have an answerphone so if it is someone who needs to speak to me they will leave a message.
There is a crack ... a crack in everything .... That's how the light gets in.

Leonard Cohen ~ Anthem
The following user(s) said Well Said: Eira, Keeper, Aida, WWWoody, Aries1950, Clockwork Satsuma, Minnesota Mike

Last edit: by cahoots.

Do not ring this number 1 month 3 days ago #3568039

• Eira
  • Well said received: 3991
  • Honor Medal 2010
Good Advice, Cahoots.

I never answer a phone call from a number I don’t recognise and I never phone back any number I don’t recognise. I figure if the call was important, the caller would leave a message and these scam callers rarely leave messages.
I would never return a phone call to an unrecognised phone number without checking it out first, even if they leave a message.
I use the “Who Called Me?” website to search any unrecognised number too and the majority of unrecognised numbers show up as suspicious, untrusted or cold calling Numbers.
Step by step, one goes a long way.
The following user(s) said Well Said: cahoots, Keeper, Reci

Last edit: by Eira.

Do not ring this number 1 month 3 days ago #3568040

• Keeper
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2183
  • Honor Medal 2010
We have had lots of scam calls, some saying they are BT, others saying they from Amazon.
When I answer I always ask them for my customer number then..........if they don't have that they are not genuine and we have a call blocker next to our phone and hit the red button on that.

Anyone calling supposedly from a Company should know your name and address for a start, and if you do deal with that Company they should have your customer number too........other wise it is just scam callers. If you are not sure, just say "Write to me" and put phone down.

Had one, and went online "Who is calling me" turned out to be from Kazakistan........wouldn't have thought they would have had enought money there to buy a pc.......Most of these scam calls are computer generated numbers
The following user(s) said Well Said: cahoots

Last edit: by Keeper.

Do not ring this number 1 month 3 days ago #3568275

• Robin
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 440
  • Honor Medal 2010
Normally I don't answer the phone if it doesn't have an id, but I was waiting for a call and answered it with out looking. This was the conversation.
Them, hello Robin
Me, ya, what's up
Them, we all calling about your duelly
Me, you want to buy it
Them, no, it's warranty has run out. Do you still own it.
Me, if you don't want to buy it, it's none of your business if I still own it.
Them,. Hung up
Robin

Do not ring this number 1 month 13 hours ago #3569209

• CAJ
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 107
  • Honor Medal 2010
Duelly? What's one of those?

Do not ring this number 1 month 6 hours ago #3569320

• Elspeth
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 962
  • Honor Medal 2010
I don't answer my landline at all and most of these types of calls don't leave messages. Even if they did (like the Amazon Prime scam message) I won't respond. Likewise with my mobile. if it is above board and important, they will have alternative ways of contacting me if they really know me. It's the same with emails - I don't click on links. I'll access it separately through my own browsers.

Any number calling I'll check on who-called.co.uk/ and if it is a scam, I report it to either ico.org.uk/ or www.actionfraud.police.uk/
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annnie

• Page:
Moderators: Pascaloumike
Time to create page: 0.234 seconds