Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Online safety is really important and this category is devoted to our safety both online and in particular here on Buzz50

• Page:

TOPIC: Scam calls

Scam calls 1 week 2 days ago #3377402

• lensman
  • lensman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1559
  • Honor Medal 2010
Just had two separate calls.
One claiming to be from Amazon Prime, saying a renewal payment of £39.99 had been taken and press 1 to speak to a representative. I do have AP, but I pay £7.99 a month. This one I just hung up.
Second claimed to be from Visa telling me a payment of £500 had been made. 
This time I did press 1, before the heavily accented lady got more than two words out, I expressed my opinion of her, the organisation and the attempt to scam me.
Maybe not as polite as that
Be wary
( also posted other places)
The following user(s) said Well Said: Eira, JennieR62, scooby

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Scam calls 1 week 2 days ago #3377492

• Bones
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 173
  • Honor Medal 2010
I've had the same sort of calls in the past, but just hang up.
I really hope you've not made a mistake by pressing 1, as that's what they want you to do.

Scam calls 1 week 2 days ago #3377507

• Eira
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 8960
  • Honor Medal 2010
I have had the £500 Credit Card payment scam call quite a few times in recent months, too.
The first time it happened, I presumed it was a scammer and ended the call immediately but, as it coincided with a couple of other suspicious messages I had received via text and email the previous week, I immediately started to wonder if one of my cards had been compromised.
I couldn’t rest easy until I had phoned my own card company to check - but when I picked up the phone to dial the number, I remembered another scam whereby the scammer doesn’t hang up when you do, so when you dial your bank’s telephone number, the scammer somehow makes it seem as if it’s your bank answering, so you end up giving card or account information to a scammer instead of your bank.
So, I rang the speaking clock first to make sure I had cleared the line before I dialled my bank.
My bank quickly reassured me that there was nothing untoward with my cards and told me the “suspicious £500 Card Payment” calls was a common scammer scenario at present.

Even when you’re aware of what the scammers are up to, it’s still unsettling and makes you want to check all your finances are safe. I have caller ID and don’t generally answer my land line unless I recognise the number but occasionally, if I’m expecting a call back, I answer the phone only to find it’s one of the many scammers who ring my landline every day.
What makes me really cross is that these folk have no conscience about taking advantage of people who are not tech savvy and I hate to think of them ripping off the vulnerable and elderly.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Aida, DancingByMyself, Bones

Step by step, one goes a long way.
Last edit: by Eira.

Scam calls 1 week 14 hours ago #3379490

• Corvette
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 640
  • Honor Medal 2010
You may try the things I do for fun and they don't call back. Tell them you are in the same business, Tell
them that number has been changed and give them number of a bar, Ask them which office of your did
they want. Sometimes I have too much time doing nothing.

Scam calls 1 week 12 hours ago #3379585

• Geeljay
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 25
I assume the scammers must have some success, or they would not persist in the business, they are in. I now have changed my greeting, "If you are friend or family, I will call you back, Othersise please hang up. My scam calls are diminishing, slowly. Unfortunately, mostly come out of B T area, so they will not stop.

Scam calls 1 week 44 minutes ago #3379873

• man of kent
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 510
  • Honor Medal 2010
I would not be surprised, if some of these big telephone companies sell on your phone number
as a job lot. I get a few silent calls, that clicks off a few seconds later. That I presume tell them
that, someone`s is on the other end of the line. Now I wait for them to speak, first.
Had one yesterday, about my account with ` Netflix `.
I dont have one.

MAGPIE.-- the bird

Scam calls 1 week 37 minutes ago #3379879

• JUJO
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3232
  • Honor Medal 2010
Are you able to block the number?

No home is complete without the pitter patter of kitty feet.

Scam calls 6 days 7 hours ago #3380622

• Dennis 2
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3763
  • Honor Medal 2010
I usually speak in another language besides English to any number I do not know, will that finally bit me 3 weeks back my best friend was having surgery and it was her doctor calling to inform me all was ok and to come get her, I gave apology to him in person, he loved it and laughed with me. I will not stop this. Sometimes give my dogs the command to bark and place the phone close if home.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Bessie

Scam calls 3 days 21 hours ago #3382315

• Elspeth
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2581
  • Honor Medal 2010
I may have posted this information on another topic.

I no longer answer my landline. There is an answer machine however scammers don't leave messages. I check any numbers on who-called.co.uk/ and then report any findings to ico.org.uk/ - they can and do fine companies for harassing calls however they need to know about it from those receiving the calls.

I've had messages left from scammers advising my internet is being disconnected and to press button 1 to speak with a technician - I report calls such as these to www.actionfraud.police.uk/

If you have the number of the caller - report it then block it so you don't get any more. I don't answer my mobile to any number I don't recognise. Again, if it is important they will leave a message on the answer machine.

I don't seem to get as many of these calls now since I starting reporting them. I'm also ex directory and registered with the TPS. For a while it was PPI but now that's done it seems to be "we understand you've had an accident....."

Good idea Dennis re answering in a different language or getting your dogs to bark in the earpiece. A shrill whistle would be good too.
The following user(s) said Well Said: habibi, Aida

Scam calls 2 days 13 hours ago #3383505

• Aida
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 8402
  • Honor Medal 2010
Had two scam calls today, one from a lady who sounded oriental about my Amazon account - I don’t have one ! Next up was a call about a domestic appliance insurance policy which they said had expired. Again, I have no such policy. I blocked both numbers.
The strange thing is when I get more than one scam call they often happen on the same day.... Never press 1.

I have on occasions pretended to be the manager of an old people’s home. That puts off scammers.

In my beginning is my end. In my end is my beginning.
Last edit: by Aida.
  • Page:
Moderators: pascaloumike
Time to create page: 0.231 seconds