Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Online safety is really important and this category is devoted to our safety both online and in particular here on Buzz50

• Page:

TOPIC: Online hackers - who to report this to?

Online hackers - who to report this to? 3 months 2 weeks ago #3266007

• Janquine
  • Janquine's Avatar Topic Author
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2587
  • Honor Medal 2010
This morning I tried to buy some laptop replacement keys online and after giving my card details and the address where to send the item, the website then wanted some additional information from me, which I was uncomfortable with giving and aborted my order. and closed the website down.

Ten minutes later I received a phone call supposedly from the bank Fraud Squad all done via a pre-recorded message and who wanted me to give some extra information by pressing buttons in answer to their recorded questions before they would put me through to a real person who would explain how my bank account has been used illegally.
Once again I was suspicious and gave out no information.

I hung up and phoned my own bank's fraud squad who told me that this was a scam from people trying to get money from my account. They told me I could get further phonecalls from these hackers, pretending to be the fraud squad....which I have. Every hour!!!! :( :( One phonecall even left a recorded message!

My bank account is safe thanks to the (genuine) bank, 'fraud squad' people, who have changed all the security details on my accounts and frozen my current bank card.

But I would like to report this laptop key replacement website to the proper authorities. Does anyone know who I should pass this on to? The police online fraud site only deals with people who have already lost money/cards/identity. And a crime wasn't actually committed, thank goodness.... but I would like to make the relevant internet authorities aware of this website.

Any suggestions?
The following user(s) said Well Said: pascalou, Rose57

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Janquine.

Online hackers - who to report this to? 3 months 2 weeks ago #3266014

• MoonlitRoads63
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 897
  • Honor Medal 2010
I can only think of Trading Standards. If they are not really the right people, they will probably know who should be made aware.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Janquine

Online hackers - who to report this to? 3 months 2 weeks ago #3266015

• Sharkey
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 10920
  • Honor Medal 2010

Online hackers - who to report this to? 3 months 2 weeks ago #3266046

• Janquine
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

MoonlitRoads63 wrote: I can only think of Trading Standards. If they are not really the right people, they will probably know who should be made aware.

Thanks for responding MoonlitRoads63. I am not sure that this laptop replacement key, internet company, were even actually selling something at the end of the day, I suspect this is just a front to try and gain access to peoples online banking accounts. So I think this is more an illegal act rather than fair trading standards. But thanks for your reply anyway smile.png

Online hackers - who to report this to? 3 months 2 weeks ago #3266055

• Janquine
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Sharkey wrote: Take a look here Janquine.

www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/blog/how-to-report-scam-fraud

Thanks Sharkey. I took a look and clicked on the most appropriate link but it led me back to the police site that I had seen earlier and to be honest it was all too much hassle trying to get it reported.
I had to register online with them, fill in an online profile and then give 3 personal questions with answers (eg. Whats' your mothers maiden name?).

I know the police need to be security conscious especially online.....but this all seemed a little OTT !! And I'm currently feeling a little reluctant to give anyone else ANY information about me :laugh:

Online hackers - who to report this to? 3 months 2 weeks ago #3266069

• Sharkey
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 10920
  • Honor Medal 2010

Janquine wrote:

Sharkey wrote: Take a look here Janquine.

www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/blog/how-to-report-scam-fraud

Thanks Sharkey. I took a look and clicked on the most appropriate link but it led me back to the police site that I had seen earlier and to be honest it was all too much hassle trying to get it reported.
I had to register online with them, fill in an online profile and then give 3 personal questions with answers (eg. Whats' your mothers maiden name?).

I know the police need to be security conscious especially online.....but this all seemed a little OTT !! And I'm currently feeling a little reluctant to give anyone else ANY information about me :laugh:

I just stick to Ebay for the likes of what you wanted Janquine and your safer doing so because either Ebay customer support or Paypal will always help you if any problems smile.png

Last edit: by Sharkey.

Online hackers - who to report this to? 3 months 2 weeks ago #3266931

• Keeper
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2211
  • Honor Medal 2010
Janquine give that website to your bank.

Recently I had an email from a Company that I have dealt with for years online, saying they had been hacked and customers information had been taken.

FIRST I rang my bank and read them the email, and also blocked my card details there and then.
Next I went online to the Companies' website and took down the phone number from that. I did NOT reply to that email, NOR ring the phone numbers it gave me.
I did try ringing the Company, but it said they were shut, although it was only 6.30pm and their Customer Service Dept., was supposed to be open until 7.30pm.
So next day I rang the Company, and was put straight through to their Security Firm. The email was genuine.
I was very angry as that email said the hacking had been traced to last November, and they suspected it had been going on since last July! Amongst other things, I told the Security officer I spoke to about this, that the Company should have notified all customers immediatly, last November, not wait until end of June this year. I said that I can block my Banker's card anytime 24/7, and I would have done so immediatly on being notified. The Security Officer from some firm the Company was employing to deal with this, (oh and the Company offered me a year free with that Security Firm).
The Security Officer I spoke with said he totally agreed with me, that the Company should have informed all customers immediatly they suspected they had been hacked.

Luckily having read my bank statements back to and earlier than last November, no monies had been taken from it, that was not legitimate.

Online hackers - who to report this to? 3 months 2 weeks ago #3267207

• MoonlitRoads63
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 897
  • Honor Medal 2010

Janquine wrote:

MoonlitRoads63 wrote: I can only think of Trading Standards. If they are not really the right people, they will probably know who should be made aware.

Thanks for responding MoonlitRoads63. I am not sure that this laptop replacement key, internet company, were even actually selling something at the end of the day, I suspect this is just a front to try and gain access to peoples online banking accounts. So I think this is more an illegal act rather than fair trading standards. But thanks for your reply anyway smile.png

You're welcome smile.png

Online hackers - who to report this to? 3 months 1 week ago #3270129

• Elspeth
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2567
  • Honor Medal 2010
Janquine. I would report to Action Fraud.

Oops. I can see you already tried that.

Last edit: by Elspeth.
  • Page:
Moderators: pascaloumike
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds