Roadkill 1 week 3 hours ago #3524238

• Aries1950
  • Aries1950's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 659
  • Honor Medal 2010
I don't know what is happening around my area in upstate New York. Either animals are going blind and deaf, or humans are driving faster.

It used to be just one animal dead on the road, or by the side of the road. Now I see them all over. It used to be just squirrels and skunks. Now I see a lot of raccoons, porcupines, cats, and deer. Only dogs (probably because they are on a leash), birds and rabbits seem to be avoiding the carnage.

Skunks, can you be more patient when you cross the street? Look both ways before you decide to cross the road. Once your dead and your stink bag or what ever you call it, opens up, we can smell you 2 miles down the road. If we have our AC or heaters on, we're gagging in our cars.

People, be more patient. If you see a skunk is trying to cross the street, slow down and let the little stinker cross the street safely. It lives and you are not gagging your guts out in your car. It's a win-win for both of you.
We must get rid of our heartless dictator. this is no dictatorship.
The following user(s) said Well Said: DaveA, Sirfurryanimal, Vienna, Robin

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Roadkill 6 days 23 hours ago #3524266

• kedro
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 701
  • Honor Medal 2010
Build more animal crossovers.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass ... it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Well Said: Eira

Roadkill 6 days 23 hours ago #3524267

• Shadowman
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 339
  • Honor Medal 2010
In my part of the world right now it is the White Tail Deer population that has an increased vehicle collision rate resulting in road ways with an increasing amount of dead Deer. I use to play this song in the Spring mainly when the Skunks seem to be the victims mostly.
DEAD SKUNK IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD
"I’m not upset that you lied to me, I’m upset that from now on I can’t believe you." Nietzsche

Roadkill 6 days 22 hours ago #3524271

• KayyGee
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1056
  • Honor Medal 2010
Unfortunately lethal human animal interactions via automobiles is a common occurrence around here and generally across the country, mostly outside of the city precincts. I've had a few run in's myself over the years and unhappily one of the lessons I've learned is that it often doesn't pay to try and avoid the animal. Twice I've tried to avoid wayward animals and nearly been the victim of my heroic endeavors. Once when rounding a bend, at average speed (80 kph) in my ute (Pick-up) I had a wombat wander onto the road with not a care in the world. A wombat is a rock on legs, well more a boulder and hitting one at any speed is inadvisable. Anyway on this particular day I reacted to quickly and turned sharply to avoid it only to see it smile and turn back off the road, but it was too late for me the car had started to fish-tale and it got worse with every attempt to correct the action, back and forth it went until the ute rolled over and slid to a stop. A few fellows that were following behind came up to make sure I was OK, I was and with the help of a few more passers by we righted the truck and I was on my way, damage to vehicle ugly but minimal, damage to me avoided, just. Lesson learned, while I never try to deliberately hit anything, I don't take any sudden action to avoid them either and I've hit kangaroos, rabbits, deer, birds of many descriptions, possums, pigs, almost a bull, and a few snakes and lizards, big lizards. Only one that did significant damage to my vehicle, after the wombat, was a roo in the middle of nowhere at 120 kph, but that's another story, one of animal conspiracy.

Last edit: by KayyGee.

Roadkill 6 days 21 hours ago #3524274

• Fyrefox
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 169
  • Honor Medal 2010
Bosch Auto Parts and the American Humane Society partnered a few years back to produce a Public Service Announcement called "Stop the Roadkill." It featured singing, dancing animal zombies of a deer, squirrel, fox, and skunk who describe in song how they were killed on the road, terminating in the message "Don't Be A Killer Car!" The video is memorably bizarre...

"A fox is a wolf who sends flowers." -- Ruth Brown
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Well Said: Sirfurryanimal

Last edit: by Fyrefox.

Roadkill 6 days 15 hours ago #3524362

• Topsy
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1065
  • Honor Medal 2010
The question I would like to ask is :-
Would you eat road kill ?
I know some do !
No thanks !
Never let anyone ever dull your sparkle
The following user(s) said Well Said: Mykle

Roadkill 6 days 14 hours ago #3524375

• Sandgrounder
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1185
  • Honor Medal 2010
Tend to see it more on country roads here in my part of the UK, rather than in urban areas. Since the lock down due to C19, have not been anywhere to see much.

Roadkill 6 days 14 hours ago #3524396

• Aries1950
  • Aries1950's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 659
  • Honor Medal 2010

Topsy wrote: The question I would like to ask is :-
Would you eat road kill ?
I know some do !
No thanks !

I worked with a guy one time that had a tee shirt which read:

Road Kill Cafe
You Kill 'em
We Grill 'em
We must get rid of our heartless dictator. this is no dictatorship.

Roadkill 6 days 12 hours ago #3524422

• Robin
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 193
  • Honor Medal 2010
Some states, if you hit a deer, moose or a meat animal, you have to inform the police do they can collect it and have it butchered for food pantries and the needy.

The number of road kill go up around here if the is not enough food in the normal area where they feed or water.
Normally during droughts or over population of wild animals.

Roadkill 6 days 11 hours ago #3524428

• Pats
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Well said received: 3861
  • Honor Medal 2010
The Road Traffic Act UK states that legally, you must report hitting the following animals to the police.
dogs.
horses.
cattle, e.g cows.
pigs.
goats.
sheep.
donkeys and mules.
Happy to help.

• Page:
Moderators: Pascaloumike
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds