Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Homeopathy - is it nonsense or does it work ?

Homeopathy - is it nonsense or does it work ? 6 months 6 days ago #3956010

• Aida
  • Aida's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1395
  • Honor Medal 2010
Homeopathy is an alternative medicine based on treating ‘like with like’ and claims to stimulate healing responses to illness by administering small amounts of substances that mimic the symptoms of those diseases being treated.. Our late Queen was a huge fan of homeopathy as are other members of the Royal Family, apparently.

Recently I stubbed my little toe badly on a piece of furniture. It swelled up and was extremely painful, it was Saturday - doctors closed - so I consulted our local friendly pharmacist for advice. I have issues with certain painkillers. He recommended the use of something called Arnica cream to be massaged into the injured toe and surrounding area following the instructions on the packaging. In desperation I purchased the cream, used it accordingly and to my amazement it worked: the bruising ‘came out’ quickly spreading alarmingly up my foot, but the the swelling went down and the pain subsided. I continued to use it for three days.
The effectiveness of homeopathy is disputed by medical science. Here in the UK , NICE ( National Institute for health Care Excellence ) does not recommend the use of homeopathy.
Has anyone else used homeopathy? What are your thoughts and experiences.

Please note: I am not advocating purchasing homeopathic substances instead of seeing a doctor.
The following user(s) said Well Said: ReturningLace

Please Log in to join the conversation.

'Take the log out of your own eye then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.'
Matthew 7: 5
Last edit: by Aida.

Homeopathy - is it nonsense or does it work ? 6 months 6 days ago #3956012

• man of kent
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
If you think - it will do you good - it probably will - I use a gel from pound land - a RED tube costs - £1 - very good.

Last edit: by man of kent.

Homeopathy - is it nonsense or does it work ? 6 months 6 days ago #3956029

• knighten
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 276
  • Honor Medal 2010
GP's don't have all the answers they are influenced by big pharma .Do your research how do you think people around the world cured themselves in past centuries.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Jane R, Aida

Homeopathy - is it nonsense or does it work ? 6 months 6 days ago #3956039

• Mandycakes
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Arnica is a well known herbal used for bruising and has anti-inflammatory properties due to its particular composition of active chemicals. Some use it instead of Ibuprofen. Like taking any herbal supplement or cream, it is wise to know how they may affect or react to allergies or prescribed medicines.
Homeopathy is an extreme dilution of chemical compounds of the plant until there's nothing left.
Some swear by it, science and professional medics tend to say it is unproven, hokum and made so dilute as to be non-effective for treating anything. Perhaps then it works for some if the belief in it is strong enough? I know I'd prefer proper medical treatment first and would only use alternative stuff like Homeopathy and/or Bach's flower remedies as a last resort if all other conventional medical routes had failed.

Homeopathy - is it nonsense or does it work ? 6 months 6 days ago #3956054

• sciguy18
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 843
  • Honor Medal 2010
My primary physician is very big on alternative treatments. Some of them work and some don’t.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Aida

Homeopathy - is it nonsense or does it work ? 6 months 6 days ago #3956060

• Aida
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
A close family member of mine used to work in a private hospital where one of the orthopaedic surgeons prescribed hip patients arnica tablets after their operations.

'Take the log out of your own eye then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.'

Homeopathy - is it nonsense or does it work ? 6 months 6 days ago #3956067

• Vienna
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 972
  • Honor Medal 2010
Witch Hazel is pretty effective for some conditions - used it a lot when younger.
My mother swore by it..
The following user(s) said Well Said: Jane R, Aida, MoonlitRoads63

Homeopathy - is it nonsense or does it work ? 6 months 6 days ago #3956070

• patcaf
  • New Buzzer
  • New Buzzer
  • Well said received: 30
  • Honor Medal 2010
Much that people are talking about are just natural remedies which can be bought over the counter. This not homeopathy. A homeopathic practitioner will often spend a couple of hours with someone who normally gets 10 minutes with their GP and will follow up. Whether the diluted meds work or not I do not know but just being listened to by someone who cares and follows up makes people feel much better. It is often the psychological boost which people need and I suspect a lot of self healing then takes place. It works for a lot of people.

Homeopathy - is it nonsense or does it work ? 6 months 6 days ago #3956071

• Aida
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Vienna wrote: Witch Hazel is pretty effective for some conditions - used it a lot when younger.
My mother swore by it..

Yes, absolutely . Witch Hazel is good for bruising and insect bites. When I had acne as a teenager I used to use it as a skin toner. We always had some in our medicine cupboard. Apparently it is also good for inflammation, irritation, dandruff, sun burn and even ‘piles’. I admit I ‘googled’ it.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Vienna

Homeopathy - is it nonsense or does it work ? 6 months 6 days ago #3956075

• Amandine
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 473
  • Honor Medal 2010
I have used homeopathy since childhood as our family GP was a homeopath and my mum had all of us treated with homeopathy.

In France you need to have a GP degree plus a homeopathy clinic specialty degree in order to be allowed to practice as an homeopath but homeopathy is refunded by our NHS 100%.

I personally believe that homeopathy works even better on people who have used it exclusively from birth as their immune system is totally virgin as newborns and so they react very well to these infinitesimal doses of plants.

But as for all illnesses and ailments I believe certain medicine are more adapted for some types of people or ailments.

So depending on my condition I will use homeopathy, allopathy, acupuncture and Chinese Traditional medicine.
It is so great to have such a vast choice.

Last edit: by Amandine.
  • Page:
Moderators: mikePatsMoonlitRoads63
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds