TOPIC: Mobility In a Assisted Living Facility

Mobility In a Assisted Living Facility 6 months 3 weeks ago #3137505

• ALON
  • ALON's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 223
  • Honor Medal 2010
As most of you know that have read my posts, I live in Assisted Living. I was observing today the very many different ways that my fellow residents boogie around this joint. Canes, Walkers. Wheel Chairs both Manual & Electric, Transport Chairs. Hybrid Combinations. Due to two Medical Conditions I myself use a combination walker transfer chair with foot rest and coffee cup holder that easily collapses to go in a car. Of course given my druthers I would prefer to walk un aided all the time, but that is not to be the case. My wish is for all my fellow posters on this Forum is to stay completely mobile for many years
The following user(s) said Well Said: Aida, greenleaves

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Mobility In a Assisted Living Facility 6 months 3 weeks ago #3137622

• JUJO
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
As age creeps up, health issues,some people have absolutely no choice but to use walking aids,wheelchair to get around.

Mobility In a Assisted Living Facility 6 months 3 weeks ago #3138039

• snewps
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 615
  • Honor Medal 2010
Hi in my bungalow I use a walker to go from my living room to the bedroom and bathroom I've got a small zimmer frame in the bedroom, to get to my kitchen and around the living room I use a walking trolley, and when I get another mobility scooter I shall use that outside.

I try to walk as much as possible even though it's only round my bungalow, I can't stand for long so use what is called a perching stool in the kitchen for washing pots and doing food, I've got one in the living room that I use at my computer and when I get my sewing machine out again I also use it for that and I have one in the bathroom that I use for teeth cleaning washing and cleaning the bathroom sink.

Perching stools are a boon they are quite tall with arms and a slight slope on the seat, they aren't the comfiest of seats but the aren't meant to sit on for hours just for doing jobs and stuff, two of mine I got via the physio and doctor and my other two I brought myself as they don't supply them for computer or dressing table use, but luckily they are quite reasonable to buy.

But yes like you I wish that I could walk better it's my knees that cause my walking problems I would love to just pop on a coat and nip out for a walk or go to the local shop but I still think myself lucky as there are other people who can't walk at all at least I can walk about my bungalow with aids. xmas_tree.pn xmas_tree.pn xmas_tree.pn xmas_tree.pn xmas_tree.pn xmas_tree.pn xmas_tree.pn
The following user(s) said Well Said: Dee-Dee, ALON

Mobility In a Assisted Living Facility 6 months 3 weeks ago #3138161

• Aida
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 7541
  • Honor Medal 2010
My daughter who has a disabling back condition has been helped enormously by her NHS rheumatologist and his team. She has frame to help her get out of bed, a stick and more recently a perching stool for use in the kitchen which she says is great for kitchen work.

You lay down with dogs, you risk getting fleas.
Last edit: by Aida.

Mobility In a Assisted Living Facility 6 months 3 weeks ago #3139934

• greenleaves
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 33
I use a walker outside my apartment and I have a zimmer that I put
in my car for shopping or visiting.
I have a 'handicap sign' for my car and if I can park close enough
to a store I can use my cane until I can get a shopping cart.
At least that way I am mobile.

Mobility In a Assisted Living Facility 6 months 3 weeks ago #3140427

• jennilin
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 751
  • Honor Medal 2010

greenleaves wrote: I use a walker outside my apartment and I have a zimmer that I put
in my car for shopping or visiting.
I have a 'handicap sign' for my car and if I can park close enough
to a store I can use my cane until I can get a shopping cart.
At least that way I am mobile.[/quote
Respect to you greenleaves that can't be easy xxx

• Page:
Moderators: mike
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds