Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: quizz - the missing coin ( and more likely from others? )

quizz - the missing coin ( and more likely from others? ) 3 weeks 1 day ago #3698440

• Eira
  • Well said received: 2942
  • Honor Medal 2010

aviator wrote:

Eira wrote:

aviator wrote:

cahoots wrote: Na..ah ... the meal cost each of the £8.33 recurring not £9 wink.png

you are on the right lines but note that:-

each one gave 10 and got back 1 I.e. each spent 9. how do you account for that

The rest was their share of the £2 tip.

Bill was £30 - £5 discount = £25 + a tip of £2 = £27
27/3=9
So each person paid £9 in total (cost of meal plus tip) and each received £1 in change from the £10 they each tendered.

there is no doubt that is correct for that is what actually happened. the question is " why does the other maths not tally " I.e.

so the total spent by the three comes to 9x3 = 27. 2 went for tip making it 29
where is the missing 1 ( 29 against the 30 originally spent )

The maths does not tally in the puzzle version because of the way it’s presented - it is deliberately misleading by quoting the cost of the meal as £27 (it was actually £25 plus tip £2) then the puzzle setter craftily adds the £2 tip on again to make it appear to total £29 - that calculation does not stack up because the £2 tip is already included in the total of £27.
£30 was tendered - they were only charged £25 and given £5 change - they each took £1 of the change and left the remaining £2 as a tip.
There was never a missing £1.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Rosie 2 UK, aviator

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Step by step, one goes a long way.
Last edit: by Eira.

quizz - the missing coin ( and more likely from others? ) 3 weeks 19 hours ago #3698688

• aviator
  • aviator's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 457
  • Honor Medal 2010

Eira wrote:

aviator wrote:

Eira wrote:

aviator wrote:

cahoots wrote: Na..ah ... the meal cost each of the £8.33 recurring not £9 wink.png

27/3=9
So each person paid £9 in total (cost of meal plus tip) and each received £1 in change from the £10 they each tendered.

there is no doubt that is correct for that is what actually happened. the question is " why does the other maths not tally " I.e.

The maths does not tally in the puzzle version because of the way it’s presented - it is deliberately misleading by quoting the cost of the meal as £27 (it was actually £25 plus tip £2) then the puzzle setter craftily adds the £2 tip on again to make it appear to total £29 - that calculation does not stack up because the £2 tip is already included in the total of £27.
£30 was tendered - they were only charged £25 and given £5 change - they each took £1 of the change and left the remaining £2 as a tip.
There was never a missing £1.

very well put

quizz - the missing coin ( and more likely from others? ) 3 weeks 14 hours ago #3698766

• aviator
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
i tell one and all that i love my brother, it is great to have a brother like him.
my brother, on the other hand, tells one and all that he has no need for one , that he has no brother.

should I feel aggrieved?

( I do not feel so )

quizz - the missing coin ( and more likely from others? ) 3 weeks 13 hours ago #3698778

• KayyGee
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 641
  • Honor Medal 2010

aviator wrote:

Eira wrote:

aviator wrote:

27/3=9

The issue is that the problem is in two parts and not a continuous whole.

The 3 have a meal valued at 30 so each are prepared to pay 10, after this point the story changes and becomes a new problem as the restaurant provides a 5 discount meaning the meal is now only 25, this is the new start, for which the 3 owe 8.33 each, not 9 as most assume.

3 x 8.33 = 25 (we'll forget the .01) plus 2 for the tip equals 27 (each paid .66666) leaves 3 from the proffered 30 giving each diner 1 back.
The following user(s) said Well Said: aviator

quizz - the missing coin ( and more likely from others? ) 3 weeks 10 hours ago #3698813

• Rosie 2 UK
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1216
  • Honor Medal 2010

aviator wrote: i tell one and all that i love my brother, it is great to have a brother like him.
my brother, on the other hand, tells one and all that he has no need for one , that he has no brother.

should I feel aggrieved?

( I do not feel so )

Are you his sister. ?
The following user(s) said Well Said: aviator

quizz - the missing coin ( and more likely from others? ) 2 weeks 6 days ago #3699061

• aviator
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Rosie 2 UK wrote:

aviator wrote: i tell one and all that i love my brother, it is great to have a brother like him.
should I feel aggrieved?
( I do not feel so )

Are you his sister. ?

smile.png

Last edit: by aviator.
  • Page:
Moderators: mike
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds