High glucose 2 months 4 weeks ago #3542297

• oldal
  • oldal's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1465
  • Honor Medal 2010
I have had high glucose since breakfast. I'm on insulin and use small shots to make corrections. I have made 2 corrections for Novolog to bring it down to my target goal. This has not been working even though I use the same plan that has always worked in the past. I feel the best if my glucose is between 4.5 and 5.5 but haven't been able to get it below 8.0. Something has changed to make my body more resistant to insulin.

Has any of you diabetics had a similar problem? Any suggestions will be welcome.
Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end
The following user(s) said Well Said: Dan Dare

Please Log in to join the conversation.

High glucose 2 months 4 weeks ago #3542301

• Keeper
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2167
  • Honor Medal 2010
I have Googled what you said and have come up with

"Any type of physical exercise has the potential to make your insulin more efficient"
www.diabetes.co.uk/insulin/insulin-sensitivity.html

"The pancreas can be triggered to regenerate itself through a type of fasting diet, ... cells known as beta cells to produce the hormone insulin, which the body uses ... insulin production was restored, insulin resistance was reduced, and beta ... A sudden change in your calorie intake could have unpredictable ...
Friday 24 February 2017
www.nhs.uk/news/diabetes/fasting-diet-ma...a-diabetic-pancreas/

Have you put on weight recently Al?

Couple of years ago, on being seen by surgery nurse for results of blood tests, my husband was told in no uncertain terms that he was diabetic. The nurse did not give him a sheet of paper saying what he could or could not eat, just lectured him on "you can't eat this and you can't eat that"........he came home frightened and confused. He was about 17 and half stone at that time and did not like fruit or veg.......ate tremendous amount of sweets, in fact had a "sweetie jar" like they serve in shops a quarter of sweets out of. Well I knew nothing of diabeties........I looked it up online and put him on a strict fruit diet and threw away his sweetie jar. No sugar in anything, also I learnd that carbs had to be counted in his diet......it wasn't really a weight reducing diet, I just made him eat a lot of fruit, regularly not missing meals.... He lost about 3 and half stone in couple months and our GP told him " You are not diabetic now......and you have done i all yourself, I am delighted"........I was in surgery with him at the time, and I asked GP to emphasise if he went back to eating what he was eating he would again be diabetic. To this day, I don't care if GP says he is not diabetic, he is not allowed sugar in tea of sweets, or cake of biscuits.....other than sugar free ones, which I buy from Amazon, as they have a good selection there. ......I don't know if this helps you at all Al, but I do know that him losing all that weight as well as being on a fruit and sugar free diet did help a lot........is why am telling you this. All the best, and if your sugar/insulin does not regulate, then see your GP.
The following user(s) said Well Said: oldal, Morgeno1

Last edit: by Keeper.

High glucose 2 months 4 weeks ago #3542314

• oldal
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Keeper wrote: I have Googled what you said and have come up with

"Any type of physical exercise has the potential to make your insulin more efficient."

"The pancreas can be triggered to regenerate itself through a type of fasting diet, ... cells known as beta cells to produce the hormone insulin, which the body uses ... insulin production was restored, insulin resistance was reduced, and beta ... A sudden change in your calorie intake could have unpredictable ...
Friday 24 February 2017

Couple of years ago, on being seen by surgery nurse for results of blood tests, my husband was told in no uncertain terms that he was diabetic. The nurse did not give him a sheet of paper saying what he could or could not eat, just lectured him on "you can't eat this and you can't eat that"........he came home frightened and confused. He was about 17 and half stone at that time and did not like fruit or veg.......ate tremendous amount of sweets, in fact had a "sweetie jar" like they serve in shops a quarter of sweets out of. Well I knew nothing of diabeties........I looked it up online and put him on a strict fruit diet and threw away his sweetie jar. No sugar in anything, also I learnd that carbs had to be counted in his diet......it wasn't really a weight reducing diet, I just made him eat a lot of fruit, regularly not missing meals.... He lost about 3 and half stone in couple months and our GP told him " You are not diabetic now......and you have done i all yourself, I am delighted"........I was in surgery with him at the time, and I asked GP to emphasise if he went back to eating what he was eating he would again be diabetic. To this day, I don't care if GP says he is not diabetic, he is not allowed sugar in tea of sweets, or cake of biscuits.....other than sugar free ones, which I buy from Amazon, as they have a good selection there. ......I don't know if this helps you at all Al, but I do know that him losing all that weight as well as being on a fruit and sugar free diet did help a lot........is why am telling you this. All the best, and if your sugar/insulin does not regulate, then see your GP.

I have been the same weight for years. My diabetes has progressed past the point where weight loss would make much difference,.

I been a diabetic for 15 years, and have been on insulin for the last 10, the pills had too many side effects for me. I can usually keep my diabetes under good control, this was something different. I was hoping someone had a similar experience that had ideas how to handle it.

I'm curious, is your husband a diabetic now?

High glucose 2 months 4 weeks ago #3542333

• Keeper
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

oldal wrote:

Keeper wrote: I have Googled what you said and have come up with

"Any type of physical exercise has the potential to make your insulin more efficient."

Friday 24 February 2017

I have been the same weight for years. My diabetes has progressed past the point where weight loss would make much difference,.

I been a diabetic for 15 years, and have been on insulin for the last 10, the pills had too many side effects for me. I can usually keep my diabetes under good control, this was something different. I was hoping someone had a similar experience that had ideas how to handle it.

I'm curious, is your husband a diabetic now?

No Al, he is not. He has had a pacemaker operation, also an operation to remove a bone from base of thumb....arthritis......and they always check your sugar in pre op but his sugar was fine........................yet I still keep him on that sugar free diet, and lots and lots of fruit...........he eats shredded wheat, with bran, and blueberries and skimmed milk for breakfast each day, no sugar, no honey, no sweetners.....although he could have sweeteners. For lunch he has a banana, and an orange......for evening meal we have fish in breadcrumbs.......i limit the chips..... (I watch his weight doesn/t go back up you see).......I always eat brocolli with my fish, but he doesn't want that......so I make him eat baked beans, or anyway, after the meal we always have fresh fruit and custanrd..........when he goes to bed, he first takes his tablets, and he has 2 or 3 SUGAR FREE digestive biscuits with the tablets, to push them down..

As I say, I watch his weight, making him get on the scales, often.....and I also watch what he eats..........all tests, even hospital pre op tests have come back sugar level is fine..........but I am convinced if he put that weight back on and if he eat like he used to......all those sweets..........then he would again be diagnosed diabetic.......hope this helps in some way......as you say you have been diabetic for so many years, and now your insulin is unstable.........you must see your GP.......please do phone the GP surgery and have a phone call with your GP if necessary.....smiles from Keeper
The following user(s) said Well Said: oldal

High glucose 2 months 4 weeks ago #3542340

• Keeper
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

oldal wrote: I have had high glucose since breakfast. I'm on insulin and use small shots to make corrections. I have made 2 corrections for Novolog to bring it down to my target goal. This has not been working even though I use the same plan that has always worked in the past. I feel the best if my glucose is between 4.5 and 5.5 but haven't been able to get it below 8.0. Something has changed to make my body more resistant to insulin.

Has any of you diabetics had a similar problem? Any suggestions will be welcome.

What did you have for your breakfast Al? Was it different in any way from the usual?

High glucose 2 months 4 weeks ago #3542356

• oldal
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Keeper wrote:

oldal wrote: I have had high glucose since breakfast. I'm on insulin and use small shots to make corrections. I have made 2 corrections for Novolog to bring it down to my target goal. This has not been working even though I use the same plan that has always worked in the past. I feel the best if my glucose is between 4.5 and 5.5 but haven't been able to get it below 8.0. Something has changed to make my body more resistant to insulin.

What did you have for your breakfast Al? Was it different in any way from the usual?

I had 4 White Castle sliders; they have 52 carbs in total. I've had them before and never had this problem. Everyone here was too busy to make breakfast, so this was fast and tasty

High glucose 2 months 4 weeks ago #3542369

• Keeper
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
I wondered as it says on the NHS website...
"Sudden changes to your diet could cause complications."

High glucose 2 months 4 weeks ago #3542382

• oldal
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Keeper wrote: I wondered as it says on the NHS website...
"Sudden changes to your diet could cause complications."

It wasn't a sudden change, I've had them many times and a few times for breakfast before. They are frozen in the freezer, just microwave to heat and eat.

High glucose 2 months 4 weeks ago #3542451

• Pats
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Well said received: 5083
  • Honor Medal 2010

Ring your surgery and ask to speak to your GP or a Practice Nurse.
Happy to help.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Keeper, Aida

Last edit: by Pats.

High glucose 2 months 1 week ago #3552225

• Dan Dare
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 541
  • Honor Medal 2010
Through diet and exercise, I've kept my type 2 diabetes in check, until this year. My diary shows a clear increase for reasons I'm not sure of. My BP went up too? Maybe Covid lockdowns n a lack of exercise. That's a part excuse but I have been slothful, hurt my back,... many excuses.
There is a natural increase with age I hear. Two older diabetic friends concur. I get my latest pathology tests weds and hope my HB1AC number has not jumped which my diary suggests it will. More lettuce n tuna. Bananas too actually, lots of fibre and I hear you can eat the skin too which gives low GI benefits..., never tried it myself but summer brekky is low sugar yogurt on a banana, sprinkled by oat muesli and swimming in Lo fat milk. Keeps me get going...

• Page:
Moderators: Pascaloumike
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds