Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Why are people with acquired hearing loss so badly served

Why are people with acquired hearing loss so badly served 1 month 2 days ago #3823113

• jeffreybbb
  • jeffreybbb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 35
  • Honor Medal 2010
I have worn hearing aids for a number of years, but as time as gone on I have come to realise how poorly we are served everywhere as a result
Do you know that one in 4 people have some degree of hearing loss, in my local town there are 39,000 people with hearing aids and yet there is one person employed by the council to advise and assist
Pre covid I and a small number of others, had started a project to explore the issue of loop systems which should help some of us to hear better in shops stores, hospitals and GP surgeries, sadly we had to stop and the local deaf charity hit problems
2years on we are now doing some work with the local Healthwatch and NHS to advise medical professionals on how to work better with those of us with hearing loss, eg, please dont face the computer when I an having a consultation with a doctor
If1 in 4 of us are struggling to various degrees why are services so poor, I do worry a lot is down to people being embarrassed by the condition, so are reluctant to mention it and many particularly retired, socially start to isolate themselves as they are struggling to hear, but why there are all sorts of devices as well as hearing aids to help us to communicate, what a shame there is no interest in NHS or local authority to explain what is out there to assist
People have mentioned the issue of earwax removal, I have just Googled the subject and as I understood, according to the NICE gudelines, if the wax is affecting someones hearing and or their health, a GP can refer to Audiology or ENT for them to deal with this matter, if you are struggling with this or any other service to do with your hearing, please contact GP, local Healthweatch and your MP to complain, its only when we highlight these issues things will change
The following user(s) said Well Said: Keeper, Aida, Pats

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Why are people with acquired hearing loss so badly served 1 month 11 hours ago #3823971

• man of kent
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 124
  • Honor Medal 2010
Well jeffrybbb - I have had exellent service with the NHS - I had an operation for a sore
that would not heal - on my right ear lobe - I managed to get an appointment with a
Paramedic - who when I asked him to look at my ear - got me a an appointment with ENT.
Result I had the operation at a clinic - then later - referred to our Audio Dept at our hospital.
The audio nurse took me through a full hearing test - then gave me New Hearing Aids
All I am doing now - is waiting until Sept 4th for the ear to heal up completely - (one year)
then the new moulds for both ears - can be made. I know nothing about the loop system
as I have never used it - to my knowledge. The old hearing aids I found ok - for six years
I am wearing the new left one - right now - nothing in the right ear - at present.

MAGPIE.-- the bird
Last edit: by man of kent.

Why are people with acquired hearing loss so badly served 3 weeks 6 days ago #3825354

• jeffreybbb
  • jeffreybbb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 35
  • Honor Medal 2010
So pleased to hear how well your treatment went, the T setting for using the induction loop on your hearing aid is built in to your hearing aids, so that places that you see the hearing loop logo you can turn to this setting and hear what is said more clearly, I have put in a link that may help, but you can go back to audiology or whoever fitted your hearing aids to check it is set up on your aids, many phones these days have it built in so clarity is better when used. I was told when I started to use both aids all the time so that my brain can adjust to the sounds consistently I found this worked so onlky take them out at night
nhsforthvalley.com/wp-content/uploads/20...your-hearing-aid.pdf

Why are people with acquired hearing loss so badly served 3 weeks 5 days ago #3825713

• man of kent
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 124
  • Honor Medal 2010
Thank you jeffreybbb - have `saved` your information - I had 4 different places on mine - one for TV.

MAGPIE.-- the bird
  • Page:
Moderators: mikePatsMoonlitRoads63
Time to create page: 0.054 seconds