Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Third Shot

Third Shot 2 weeks 3 days ago #3689101

• Elizabeth
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 111

Vegemite Kid wrote:

Elizabeth wrote: I'm not going to bother getting any more jabs. I shall just continue with the present precautions, even though most people have stopped bothering.
This virus has really shown up what sheep people are! They really do need someone holding their hand and guiding them every step of the way....no wonder our society is falling apart when so many won't think for themselves.

not sure where you live - where I live people have not stopped bothering taking precautions (masking, hand sanitisng, social distancing etc)

In Australia we are still focussed on getting everyone their initial vaccines - but if a booster is recomended down the track I will have that too.

Not quite sure how following health recomendations is being sheep or society falling apart :S

What I was referring to is the fact that people (here in England) have stopped wearing masks because the government has decreed that it's safe to do so. However, we are still getting new cases, so I think the government is pandering to those who feel their freedom is being curtailed. I think anyone with any sense will continue to take precautions, especially as winter is approaching and it should help to protect us from other viruses.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Third Shot 2 weeks 2 days ago #3689601

• Vegemite Kid
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2383
  • Honor Medal 2010
still not sure who you were referring to as sheep then.

I guess people only have to follow govt regulations, cant blame them for not wearing masks if govt has said not neccesary any more - yes I think your govt seems to have prematurely decreed mask wearing is uneccesary, in contrast we are much more cautious here although our case load is much lower.

Third Shot 1 week 5 days ago #3691838

• Sandgrounder
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2136
  • Honor Medal 2010
It was reported on the national news here in the UK last night, that the booster vaccines could be available as early as next week.

If that happens will you be taking it up, or are you one of the steptics when it comes to vaccines in general?

Third Shot 1 week 3 days ago #3692989

• Robin
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 575
  • Honor Medal 2010
The FDA (food and drug administration) has voted 16 against and 2 for to approve the booster (3d shot) saying there has not been evaluated enough to get approval for use.
The CDC is upset and are going to try and get an emergency use decree.
This is a good example politics need to stay out of the scientific field and listen to the professionals.

Robin

Third Shot 1 week 3 days ago #3693014

• QuietMouse01
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 526
  • Honor Medal 2010
Hubby has his Covid booster and flu jabs next Saturday...
hopefully, I will get mine soon too....
The following user(s) said Well Said: Aida

Today is the tomorrow
you worried about yesterday -
and all is well...

Third Shot 1 week 2 days ago #3693025

• cahoots
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3181
  • Honor Medal 2010

Elizabeth wrote:

Vegemite Kid wrote:

Elizabeth wrote: I'm not going to bother getting any more jabs. I shall just continue with the present precautions, even though most people have stopped bothering.
This virus has really shown up what sheep people are! They really do need someone holding their hand and guiding them every step of the way....no wonder our society is falling apart when so many won't think for themselves.

not sure where you live - where I live people have not stopped bothering taking precautions (masking, hand sanitisng, social distancing etc)

In Australia we are still focussed on getting everyone their initial vaccines - but if a booster is recomended down the track I will have that too.

Not quite sure how following health recomendations is being sheep or society falling apart :S

What I was referring to is the fact that people (here in England) have stopped wearing masks because the government has decreed that it's safe to do so. However, we are still getting new cases, so I think the government is pandering to those who feel their freedom is being curtailed. I think anyone with any sense will continue to take precautions, especially as winter is approaching and it should help to protect us from other viruses.

Unfortunately the government have not decreed that it is safe to stop wearing masks ... they have rather abdicated responsibility for enforcing the wearing of masks in a typical 'not a nanny state' manner that the Conservatives promote.

This is fine in normal circumstances but during a -still - ongoing pandemic is either gutless or penny pinching or both.

It really IS up to Joe and Joanna Public now to reduce the spread of this virus as much as possible because if it runs free it WILL mutate and what protection there is now may not be enough to battle it.
The following user(s) said Well Said: cestrian, Keeper, Aida

There is a crack ... a crack in everything .... That's how the light gets in.

Leonard Cohen ~ Anthem

Third Shot 1 week 2 days ago #3693063

• Vegemite Kid
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2383
  • Honor Medal 2010
Thanks Cahoots - yes that is an important distinction - We are not making it mandatory isnt the same as We don'tthink it is neccesary or advisable.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Aida

Third Shot 1 week 2 days ago #3693086

• Serena77
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 11690
  • Honor Medal 2010
A U.S. government advisory panel rejected a plan for the widespread use of COVID-19 vaccine booster shots, dealing a setback to the Biden administration, which had championed the extra shots for nearly all Americans.

By a vote of 16-2, a U.S Food and Drug Administration (FDA) vaccine advisory panel rejected the widespread use of the boosters, citing a lack of data on their safety as well as a lack of evidence concerning their value.

The independent panel did endorse extra vaccine doses for people who are 65 and older or at high risk of severe illness.

Drugmaker Pfizer had requested full approval for boosters for people 16 and older, a proposal backed by the Biden administration.

The White House announced last month that Americans who received either the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines could get a booster shot eight months after their second dose.

And earlier on Friday, the White House said it was ready to roll out the booster shots if health officials approved them.

Pfizer submitted data to the FDA this week that it says shows that the efficacy of its vaccine diminishes by about 6% every two months following the second dose, making a booster at the six-month mark safe and effective at strengthening protection against the virus that causes COVID-19.

Research has shown that although immunity levels decrease over time in those vaccinated, the Pfizer vaccine still provides strong protection against severe illness and death, even in delta variant cases.

The FDA panel's recommendation is nonbinding; the FDA is not required to follow the panel's recommendations, but it generally does.

Next week, an independent advisory panel for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention will weigh in on who should get a booster and when.

www.voanews.com/a/fda-panel-rejects-prop...r-shots/6233743.html

"money buys everything,
but ............common sense."

Third Shot 1 week 2 days ago #3693128

• altshovel
  • altshovel's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1460
  • Honor Medal 2010

“Someone has said that it requires less mental effort to condemn than to think.”

Third Shot 5 days 7 hours ago #3695005

• Eira
  • Well said received: 2971
  • Honor Medal 2010
It’s nearly 7 months since I had my 2nd Covid vaccination (BioNTech/Pfizer) so I was pleased to receive a text from the NHS yesterday, inviting me to make an appointment for a Covid booster vaccination.

It was so easy to make the appointment online - I was given a choice of local venues, dates and times for next week, so I opted to have it as soon as possible, next Monday morning.

Having suffered badly with Covid in 2020 and struggled with its continuing “long Covid” after effects, I will do whatever I can to reduce the risk of being infected and reduce the risk of having those very severe and painful symptoms again - and I want reduce the risk of me passing it on to some other unfortunate soul.
I wouldn’t wish a bad bout of Covid on my worst enemy, so I’m all for continuing “hands, face, space” precautions, testing when appropriate and maintaining as much immunity as possible via vaccination boosters.
The following user(s) said Well Said: cahoots, Pascalou, Vegemite Kid

Step by step, one goes a long way.
Last edit: by Eira.
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds