Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What does the recent upsurge in the virus in India and in the deaths tell us?

What does the recent upsurge in the virus in India and in the deaths tell us? 3 days 7 hours ago #3627715

• habibi
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 430
  • Honor Medal 2010
Some good news for the people in India.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Well Said: altshovel, cahoots, Vegemite Kid, Rips

Please Log in to join the conversation.

In Sandra's name we must follow the rules of lockdown and social distancing to get through this nightmare.

What does the recent upsurge in the virus in India and in the deaths tell us? 3 days 3 hours ago #3627769

• Casual Tim
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 42
  • Honor Medal 2010

sandoval wrote: casual tim - link below is for diabetes (2 years old so likely over 80 million now)
www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&...ErPIFzb7ZAUBidjeeNiG
Agreed , in % terms it's same as UK but the UK spends several times more of it's GDP on healthcare compared to India. My point was that it's not simply poverty driving covid, in fact India now has a growing obesity problem.

Not sure where 6% vit D deficient comes from when it's over 80% ? It's not my hypothesis either for the record.

I think ot would generally be expected that countries do not have good healthcare systems that are often poor would suffer the worst from pandemic but in the case of Covid it has been far from the case. Although India has suddenly become a country in crisis previously it had been only mildly affected by the deadly virus. I don't think it helps making sweeping statements, often unsourced, when still it is a disease that the world is only learning about as it seeks to come to terms with Covid. In the UK, it happens that people from south Asia are gross disproportionately afflicted by the vitus along with other minorites. The reason is still unknown but it is suggested that part of the reason is because of health inequalities.

What does the recent upsurge in the virus in India and in the deaths tell us? 2 days 22 hours ago #3627834

• sandoval
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 188
  • Honor Medal 2010
I didn't make any sweeping statements "often unsourced". It was all factual, unfortunately. The scientific world knows a great deal about covid. Politians don't but they are in charge. India spends 14% of its budget on defence and 1.5% on health. That is politics. In the UK the BAME communities are more at risk of covid but the reasons ARE known. It's not rocket science (India has just increased it's space budget 8%). Science has the answers. Politics is in the way.

What does the recent upsurge in the virus in India and in the deaths tell us? 2 days 16 hours ago #3627984

• Casual Tim
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 42
  • Honor Medal 2010
There are many suggestions that have been put forward why ethnic minorities suffer most from Covid in the UK like many have frontline risk jobs in healthcare, public trasport and essential services, that most are poorer than the general population and likely to live in overcrowded accommodations that many face and have faced health inequalities - but as far as I am aware there is no specific one reason and the phenonomena is still being investigated. There remain many unanswered questions including why men suffer from the virus much more than women, the elderly more than younger people. It is only recently that the transmission has been highlighted as being spread mostly by airborne contact and not sio much by physical contact that was originally emphasised.

What does the recent upsurge in the virus in India and in the deaths tell us? 2 days 10 hours ago #3628129

• Vegemite Kid
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2953
  • Honor Medal 2010
Another factor that I have heard put forward is that non white people tend to live more often in extended family situations - and thus the elderly were not as isolated as in households where they didnt live with anyone else

This is likely to be a factor in India too - since extended family living together is the norm there.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Casual Tim

What does the recent upsurge in the virus in India and in the deaths tell us? 2 days 7 hours ago #3628211

• habibi
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 430
  • Honor Medal 2010
A bit more good news for Indian people.

I hope there's enought medical staff to administer vaccines.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Well Said: cahoots

In Sandra's name we must follow the rules of lockdown and social distancing to get through this nightmare.
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds