Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Dominic Cummings was investigated by police for breaking lockdown rules.

Dominic Cummings was investigated by police for breaking lockdown rules. 6 months 1 week ago #3464591

• Popeye
  • New Buzzer
  • New Buzzer
  • Well said received: 191
  • Honor Medal 2010

Davenorave wrote: I have no time for cummings or the tories for that matter. They have cocked up all down the line with this virus. They have consistently manipulated the figures and lied either barefaced or by omission. Svengali Cummings should go and take his boyfriend Johnson with him. But that won't happen ay! However what is good for the goose is good for the gander, privilege and position is not a reason to ignore the rules we all follow.

Yes, Corbyn would have done it so much better!
Popeye
The topic has been locked.

Dominic Cummings was investigated by police for breaking lockdown rules. 6 months 1 week ago #3464617

• NewTricks
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 778
  • Honor Medal 2010
I don't think this is as clear cut as the press would have us believe.

If you look at the bare facts, a couple with a 3 or 4 year old, where mum has the virus and dad has symptoms, so there will be no one to look after their child of dad has the virus too.

In those circumstances , if I had family in another part of the country I think I would probably do the same as Mr Cummings to make sure my child was going to be looked after.

Yes he's broken the rules but I would argue the circumstances make this an exceptional circumstance. I think it is the fact of who he is which may be clouding people s views. If it was an ordinary person there wouldn't be the outrage.
Better to be thought a fool........
than to open your mouth and prove it!
The following user(s) said Well Said: Polliyana, wendeey, Bruce

Dominic Cummings was investigated by police for breaking lockdown rules. 6 months 1 week ago #3464627

• wendeey
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1885
  • Honor Medal 2010

NewTricks wrote: I don't think this is as clear cut as the press would have us believe.

If you look at the bare facts, a couple with a 3 or 4 year old, where mum has the virus and dad has symptoms, so there will be no one to look after their child of dad has the virus too.

In those circumstances , if I had family in another part of the country I think I would probably do the same as Mr Cummings to make sure my child was going to be looked after.

Yes he's broken the rules but I would argue the circumstances make this an exceptional circumstance. I think it is the fact of who he is which may be clouding people s views. If it was an ordinary person there wouldn't be the outrage.

Can assure you I would too. And Jennie Harries said tonight that safeguarding a child was within the rules of the lockdown. They stayed in an outhouse on his parent's property and his sister and niece would leave food parcels on their doorstep. His wife had it and they were worried in case he got it too (which he did in the end). What would have happened to the poor child if they were both hospitalised or so ill they couldn't look after the four year old boy. They both self-isolated all the time, they went from their house, to their car and then finally to the outhouse, not coming into contact with anybody at all at anytime.

I think they should be praised for caring about their child, not being ridiculed.

I bet not one person who is condemning them wouldn't have done the same thing if they were in the same situation.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Polliyana, Jane R, Bruce

Dominic Cummings was investigated by police for breaking lockdown rules. 6 months 1 week ago #3464736

• Vegemite Kid
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2552
  • Honor Medal 2010
Then you need to have the same acceptance of anyone else who breaks the rules because their circumstances warrant it.

Not selectively do so if it is someone whose politics you are in favour of.

I dont think it is the fact of who he is as such that is making it seem worse - but the fact he was part of the group of people telling everyone else what the rules are and then not adhering to them himself.

Somebody asked if we have never broken any rules oursleves - yes I'm sure I have.
I wouldnt break a rule that I had made myself and told everyone else to follow though.

Dominic Cummings was investigated by police for breaking lockdown rules. 6 months 1 week ago #3464737

• Vegemite Kid
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2552
  • Honor Medal 2010

Popeye wrote:

Vienna wrote: Boris Johnson's unnecessary journey to Chequers springs to mind...
Maybe not 260 miles but still deemed a 'non essential' journey at that time, particularly when he had a luxurious home in central London to convalesce in.

As I recall some thought that was absolutely fine.

We should not forget that some of these "Political celebs" have journalists hanging over the fence, watching every move.

If they are not in the garden, they, probably, have long range cameras focused on the house.

If so, wouldn't like to convalesce there!

and everyone else might have various reasons why we wouldnt like to convalesce in their homes - doesnt make it ok to change the rule to suit yourself though.

Dominic Cummings was investigated by police for breaking lockdown rules. 6 months 1 week ago #3464775

• grahamg
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1038
  • Honor Medal 2010

NewTricks wrote: I don't think this is as clear cut as the press would have us believe.

This man already provides a highly controversial, possibly hate figure, and maybe this image makes him indispensable to this government/prime minister.

However, in almost any other circumstances he'd have to resign, because clearly all the stay at home messages from po faced government officials or ministers become hypocritical nonsense if providing care for this four year old had to be done in the way this obviously highly intelligent man did it. The risks to his own parents, the child's grandparents is one aspect, but if they wished to overlook this as a family, and either one of the grandparent drives, and can get to London and back safely, there may have been an alternative option available.

Reports Mr. Cummings made other trips out in breach of the rules seem to be holding up in the face of denials, and you have to ask what he would have had to do for anyone supporting him to have decided he'd gone too far, (and not get jailed for it, just expected to resign?)?.

Am I right in saying he sits in on the highest level of briefings in No. 10 Downing street, hearing all the advice given by the best brains in the country, including all that's so far been denied to the rest of us, (maybe wisely, I'm not arguing that point, only how well informed he had to be before he took this round trip)?

At the very least he's undermined the message the government wished to put out, (who knows whether someone in government gave him the nod to say "go ahead, maybe Boris himself?), and this should be enough for him to be sent packing, though I accept he won't be in this dystopian world, (to use one of my favoured phrases from the Brexit turmoil last year!).:( .
The following user(s) said Well Said: Krystalle
Last edit: by grahamg.

Dominic Cummings was investigated by police for breaking lockdown rules. 6 months 1 week ago #3464781

• Aida
  • Aida's Avatar Topic Author
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3049
  • Honor Medal 2010
It is said he is a brilliant political strategist. He will be going nowhere in my opinion.

Dominic Cummings was investigated by police for breaking lockdown rules. 6 months 1 week ago #3464785

• grahamg
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1038
  • Honor Medal 2010

Aida wrote: It is said he is a brilliant political strategist. He will be going nowhere in my opinion.

As long as you don't feel threatened by that fact, or worried your family may, to an extent, have had their safety compromised by his and his wife's acts(?). :( .

Dominic Cummings was investigated by police for breaking lockdown rules. 6 months 1 week ago #3464786

• Aida
  • Aida's Avatar Topic Author
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3049
  • Honor Medal 2010
I don’t approve of his actions : dashing off to Durham to isolate is one thing, ( allegedly) taking a day out at Barnard Castle while you’re there is Cocking a Snook at those who are doing their best to adhere to lockdown rules, some struggling with the virus itself, others juggling work and childcare.
Even so, I don’t think he will be made to resign .
Last edit: by Aida.

Dominic Cummings was investigated by police for breaking lockdown rules. 6 months 1 week ago #3464787

• Eira
  • Well said received: 3795
  • Honor Medal 2010
It must be comforting for holiday home owners, or folk who have a friend or relative with a holiday cottage or annexe, to know that it’s ok to go to their holiday home in the country to stay and convalesce if they have been ill and need to convalesce, like Boris, or if they develop Coronavirus and think they will be safer to self-isolate in the country, like Dominic.
Providing you can show you are acting reasonably to safeguard yourself or your family, it’s fine to leave the city and head for a safe country location.

I didn’t realise before that the lockdown rules were so flexible - I don’t think that message of flexibility was put across clearly to the general public. Most folk erroneously thought that “Stay at Home” meant that you had to stay at home. Doh! How daft we were not to realise that the small print allowed us to travel and stay elsewhere.
Still, our Ministers and Advisers are teaching us by example as we go along, that “Stay at Home” doesn’t mean you can’t go to stay somewhere else if you think you have a good safeguarding reason to take yourself and infected family elsewhere to isolate or convalesce.
Step by step, one goes a long way.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Ivorbigwedge, Aida, grahamg, Krystalle
Last edit: by Eira.
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds