• Page:

TOPIC: Good outcomes from the situation with Covid19

Good outcomes from the situation with Covid19 1 week 2 days ago #3429909

• DarrenM
  • DarrenM's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 288
There is always good outcomes from disastrous situations, whether they are almost immediate, or whether they become apparent over the following days, weeks or months, no matter how big or small, natural or man made.
The following user(s) said Well Said: TwistNShout, Eira, Right Now, Janquine

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Good outcomes from the situation with Covid19 1 week 2 days ago #3429910

• DarrenM
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
As has been mentioned already elsewhere on the site, pollution levels have seen a significant reduction since the resrtictions to movement have been implicated
The following user(s) said Well Said: altshovel, TwistNShout, Bessie

Good outcomes from the situation with Covid19 1 week 2 days ago #3429922

• Bessie
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1532
  • Honor Medal 2010
yes that's one good thing for the planet pollution's dropped for it. smile.png
The following user(s) said Well Said: DarrenM

Life's Too Short To Be Serious!!

Good outcomes from the situation with Covid19 1 week 2 days ago #3429934

• RichardA
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2908
  • Honor Medal 2010

Bessie wrote: yes that's one good thing for the planet pollution's dropped for it. smile.png

"it's an ill wind that blows nobody any good" Bessie xx
The following user(s) said Well Said: Bessie, DarrenM

Good outcomes from the situation with Covid19 1 week 2 days ago #3429939

• Bessie
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1532
  • Honor Medal 2010
oh. :(

Life's Too Short To Be Serious!!

Good outcomes from the situation with Covid19 1 week 2 days ago #3430002

• DarrenM
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
Residents all over the U.K opened their doors, windows at 8pm this evening, coming together as a community while in isolation to show our appreciation to those NHS workers.
When the going gets tough....
The following user(s) said Well Said: Eira, Janquine, Mary Mary

Good outcomes from the situation with Covid19 1 week 2 days ago #3430136

• altshovel
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1848
  • Honor Medal 2010
I'm not sure the good outweighs the bad but you're right on those counts you mentioned.
I live in a fairly tight community and people are helping one another out. We have some people feeding the homeless and directing them to services and shelter.
Unfortunately I can only provide material help because of my preexisting health conditions, asthma, heart problems and being 70. I call people who are cooped up (like me) to see how they are doing. I'm sharing music, literature, news, opinions with my friends over the net.
So people are helping one another and that's a good thing.
The following user(s) said Well Said: TwistNShout, Janquine, DarrenM

“Someone has said that it requires less mental effort to condemn than to think.”

Good outcomes from the situation with Covid19 1 week 1 day ago #3430140

• Janquine
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2812
  • Honor Medal 2010
A good topic Darren and I've thought about this quite a bit since you first posted it.

One good outcome that we are currently witnessing is that this has highlighted how quiickly we here in the Uk have been able to pull together and ramp up our ailing NHS.

The Excel building in East London (an exhibition and venue centre currently standing empty) has within the space of a few short weeks been turned into a 4500 bed hospital which will accommodate Coronavirus patients . It will be staffed by army medical personnel, retired NHS workers who are re-joining the work force and ambulance paramedics who are being trained in caring for people with the virus that require ventilated beds.

Another 3 such large buildings are planned, one for Manchester, one for Birmingham and a third for Scotland.

Good to see this happening. It gives you a bit of faith in what can be achieved when push comes to shove!
The following user(s) said Well Said: Pats, wendeey, Eira, DarrenM

Good outcomes from the situation with Covid19 1 week 1 day ago #3430198

• Vegemite Kid
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 9678
  • Honor Medal 2010
Altshovel, i dont think the good outweighs the bad at all in this awful coronavirus situation - but at least people are trying to find small silver linings.

Mine: my workplace accreditation audit has been post poned indefinitely B) B)
The following user(s) said Well Said: DarrenM

Last edit: by Vegemite Kid. Reason: typo

Good outcomes from the situation with Covid19 1 week 1 day ago #3430221

• Eira
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 9886
  • Honor Medal 2010
Yes, there are many silver linings in this crisis to boost our morale a bit.
Such as the speed at which over half a million people answered the Government’s request for volunteers to provide services to shield the vulnerable from being exposed to this virus, making sure they are protected and cared for in their own homes, doing shopping, delivering medication, providing some social contact by keeping in touch with them by phone etc.

Community help groups have sprung up in most communities and individual people everywhere are trying to help others in whatever ways they can.

The charity I regularly work for is for the benefit of our hospital, staff and patients. We have had to close our little hospital shop to patients but we are remaining open, with the approval of the hospital authorities, to provide drinks and snacks to the hospital staff at present. We have had to stand down most of our Volunteers, as they are mostly elderly, but we are staffing the shop with just a few key workers, who are willing to take that extra risk to themselves to keep the supplies to staff going, although they taking all the recommended cleaning and distancing precautions to reduce risk of transmission.

I have been kept away from going to serve in the shop myself because I’ve had a viral infection but I have been involved with the planning and arranging of another initiative to help those who are being discharged from hospital and may have no family or stocks of supplies at home. We have been using our wholesale suppliers to order in some of the staple items that people have found difficult to get at the supermarkets and have put together a box of staple foods and household necessities (including gold-dust like toilet rolls!) to be given free to vulnerable patients being discharged home from a stay in hospital, so they have some food and supplies to keep them going while they get settled back in at home.

As I am in regular touch with the hospital administration team, I get to hear about how the NHS staff are being catered for and supported by the community too.
The staff canteen at the hospital is now completely free for the staff and serves food all day and evening to make sure staff have proper food available for their work breaks.
In addition, several of our local food stores are sending trays of food every day to be given away to medical staff who may not get the opportunity to get to the shops.
Sainsbury’s supermarket donate lots of trays of fresh fruit and veg every day for the staff to take home.
Our local patisserie, Betty’s, are donating trays full of delicious fresh breads, scones and cakes every day to give the staff a treat.

I have noticed how neighbours are chatting more over the garden fence and offering help to each other.
Distant family members and friends who haven’t been in touch for ages are all starting to contact each other, to check everyone is ok and ask if they need help.
I have former foster children, who were only with me for a few of their teenage years. Although I haven’t seen them for some years and rarely hear from them these days, yet 4 of them have contacted me online in this last week or two to ask if I’m ok and offer help if I need any.

It’s these little acts of kindness, thoughtfulness and care for others that I find so heartwarming in these difficult times.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Rosie 2 UK, wendeey, Vegemite Kid, DarrenM

Step by step, one goes a long way.
Last edit: by Eira.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds