Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Chat about the Chat Rooms. We have the best chat rooms for over 50s seniors on the internet and now with free video chat

TOPIC: Are you overwhelmed in chat rooms?

Are you overwhelmed in chat rooms? 3 months 2 weeks ago #3268263

• Northern Nellie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Pats wrote:

Northern Nellie wrote: I am extremely reclusive in real life and I am not a person who will initiate a conversation with anyone, even with family get-togethers I find it difficult to participate in discussions. Mostly, I get talked over, and after a while I simply don't bother. I seem to be the same online. I have gone into the odd chat room on occasion and usually end up watching everyone else talk. I am never quite sure if my opinion on a topic would be welcome or if people would see me as being rude for butting in. So I don't say anything.

Your opinion has been very welcome on this thread Northern Nellie.smile.png

Thank you so much for your very kind comment, Pats. It is appreciated! smile.png

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Are you overwhelmed in chat rooms? 3 months 2 weeks ago #3268270

• Right Now
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2525
  • Honor Medal 2010
Type fast or slow, if you can manage a hello room you'll be welcome. I often enter the chat room in the middle of some discussion, so I read the last few posts, and if I can add something I do. If not, I wait a few seconds, and sit quietly. If after a few minutes, there isn't chatter I can relate to, I say good bye, and thanks for the chat.
By and large I have mostly felt welcome, even though I'm from the US and most are from the UK.

But, isn't that what this forum is all about? Getting to know others? Keep trying. smile.png
The following user(s) said Well Said: brenda555, Keeper, deedee54

Better to be be surprised at what's around the next corner than to plan on what I might find there.

Are you overwhelmed in chat rooms? 1 month 4 days ago #3314404

• Just John
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 134
  • Honor Medal 2010
I have tried on a few occasions but I find it difficult to 'butt in' and anyway by the time I've typed something the conversation has moved on, but I will try again sometime. I suppose if you have lots of friends then the 121 works well.

Are you overwhelmed in chat rooms? 1 month 4 days ago #3314406

• Lorna Doone
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 194

Northern Nellie wrote:

Pats wrote:

Northern Nellie wrote: I am extremely reclusive in real life and I am not a person who will initiate a conversation with anyone, even with family get-togethers I find it difficult to participate in discussions. Mostly, I get talked over, and after a while I simply don't bother. I seem to be the same online. I have gone into the odd chat room on occasion and usually end up watching everyone else talk. I am never quite sure if my opinion on a topic would be welcome or if people would see me as being rude for butting in. So I don't say anything.

Your opinion has been very welcome on this thread Northern Nellie.smile.png

Thank you so much for your very kind comment, Pats. It is appreciated! smile.png

Hello Northern Nellie,

I was interested in your post, and I reiterate Pats comment.

The forum is ideal for someone like you and is ideal for letting your voice be heard, don't worry if sometimes nobody responds directly to you, it doesn't mean your opinion/view goes unnoticed and you may be surprised at responses you do get in time.
Stick with it, don't be afraid to put in your two penny worth, it's good to have a variety of views. Look forward to reading more of your posts. :xxx:
The following user(s) said Well Said: deedee54

Are you overwhelmed in chat rooms? 1 month 3 days ago #3314811

• Just John
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 134
  • Honor Medal 2010
So I tried again, all going OK until religion reared it's head, sort of downhill from there, probably my fault but will still try again, maybe.
The following user(s) said Well Said: QuietMouse01

Are you overwhelmed in chat rooms? 1 month 3 days ago #3315119

• Lorna Doone
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 194
LOL.....sorry John, politics? Religion? Give 'em a wide berth!
Keep at it though or join in more here on the forum. smile.png

Last edit: by Lorna Doone.

Are you overwhelmed in chat rooms? 1 month 2 days ago #3315269

• deedee54
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 34
Northern Nellie don't give up! Say hello when you enter the chat room so people know you're willing to join in and not just there to observe or passing through. You might also wish to acknowledge anyone who says hello back with a simple 'thanks *name* ' message.

It's normal to be quiet for a few minutes while you get your bearings and come up to speed on the discussion taking place. If you're not confident about adding your own views at first, just say 'I agree *name*' 'nicely put *name*' which keeps you in the conversation without feeling threatening.

I am never quite sure if my opinion on a topic would be welcome or if people would see me as being rude for butting in. So I don't say anything.

In chat rooms everybody's opinion is welcome and equally valid. The advantage of a typed conversation is you're never butting in, only helping to keep the conversation going. And don't worry about a bit of time lag. Sometimes by the time I've typed out what I want to say the conversation seems to have moved on. It's tempting to delete it all again and stay silent, but I've learned it's ok to hit 'send' because others will come back to the topic and reply, keeping you in the conversation. Then you can move forward with them to the next topic.

I used to be ultra shy and knowing I was turning beetroot hindered me from joining in on social ocassions, but there's one advantage to chatrooms people forget to tell you - nobody can see you blush! :blush:

So speak up, speak out and have fun. Of all the conversations you'll ever have in this world chatting to strangers online about everything and nothing is a great way to practise your conversation skills and gain social confidence. These days 'shy' isn't a word anybody would apply to me online or in person. And I owe much of that to online chat. smile.png
The following user(s) said Well Said: Jane R

Last edit: by deedee54.

Are you overwhelmed in chat rooms? 3 weeks 1 day ago #3321355

• carmensa
  • New Buzzer
  • New Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3
Yes Nellie, don't give up. Your opinion is important too. I am also new here and spend time reading what others say or write.I like it and when I feel I can give my opinion, ideas, ...I write.

Are you overwhelmed in chat rooms? 2 weeks 1 day ago #3325047

• Dennis 2
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3830
  • Honor Medal 2010
Not at all, just was bored to death, no interest at all there. 121 fine, phone fine, in person fine. Way to much hello good bye like almost all of it.

Are you overwhelmed in chat rooms? 2 weeks 1 day ago #3325101

• Right Now
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2525
  • Honor Medal 2010
I wander in occasionally, have just visited two days ago. The room was cheerful, welcoming and we all engaged in playful banter. I made a new friend, and reconnected with someone who was going through a bad time in the fall, and spring, but was happy to hear things are getting better.
How nice is that for just popping in for a quick chat with the room?
More should try it, more often.wink.png
The following user(s) said Well Said: pascalou

Better to be be surprised at what's around the next corner than to plan on what I might find there.
Moderators: Patsmikesmilesrus10pascalou
Time to create page: 0.243 seconds