Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Chat about the Chat Rooms. We have the best chat rooms for over 50s seniors on the internet and now with free video chat

TOPIC: Are you overwhelmed in chat rooms?

Are you overwhelmed in chat rooms? 1 year 1 month ago #3021533

• Jinty
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I have been in the chat room this afternoon,first time in about seven years,and was made very welcome thanks chatters.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Are you overwhelmed in chat rooms? 1 year 1 month ago #3021548

• Dennis 2
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3912
  • Honor Medal 2010
Overwhelmed in chat rooms, not at all just very bored in them logged it and it was 80% hello and bye there several visits most always the same, not all sites are the same though, try a site with subject matter you like, a huge difference for me. Rarely ever go in chat here. I was a long time member on another UK chat site that changed some policies and lost a huge amount of regular members they never returned and the site went to boring like most. Just not my thing. 121 fine.

Are you overwhelmed in chat rooms? 1 year 1 month ago #3022323

• T W B
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Treat a chat room the same way you'd treat a crowded room at a party. You're not privy to every conversation in the room, and in a chat room, there can be thoughts flying every which way. Let 'em go. Browse the comments as they fly by. The confusion you have will be habituated, eventually. You'll be able to sort out different chats within a room. You'll see however many streams there may be going on. It'll take time, though. To make matters worse, you'll see people in several of those different streams, as they are able to maintain a separation between them.

Just watch as the words go by. Don't aim to jump right into the middle of something. Often, if you do make a comment in a particular stream, you'll have several people comment on them. That's just like having two or more people talk with you at the same time in the party that I mentioned above. Sane people would be driven crazy with continual talk, like that. The way around that is to simply scroll up and down to read what different individuals might have said, and get back with them, eventually.

Think of walking down an aisle in a grocery store. You're not pulling stuff off of every shelf, as you pass by different items. You'd probably be looking for one or two particular things. Focus on those one or two particular things (in this case, message streams in the room) and just pass by the other stuff. You'll see some interesting things. You might jump into the stream just for a moment or two (picking up an item in the grocery store to examine it, and placing it back down) and then move on.

The key to being in a chat room is to keep fluid in your dealings, reaching a small island amidst the torrent of words that are going by and standing on it for as long as you want.

I've not been in a chat room on this site, yet, but have been messing around with them since 1994 or so. They are simply another way of having stimulus overload, if you're not used to them. Dull the laser focus you probably want in a singular conversation and use the floodlight approach, until you see some streams that interest you. Narrow down your focus to the laser focus, again, and you'll do well.

Beer helps. :-)

Are you overwhelmed in chat rooms? 1 year 1 month ago #3024002

• Christine
  • Well said received: 294
  • Honor Medal 2010
No need to be overwhelmed in any of Buzz chat rooms. There are 6 chatrooms some very quiet where you can enjoy a one to one. others busier but never packed. The chat rooms are there 24hours a day so it depends what time of the day you choose. The chat room rules can be read under FAQ top right of the homepage. A beer will be fine, but don't come in if you've had too many.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Skamp

We can all do more than we have done and not be a whit the worse.
It was never loving that emptied the heart, nor giving that emptied the purse.

Are you overwhelmed in chat rooms? 1 year 1 month ago #3024004

• Christine
  • Honor Medal 2010

Jinty wrote: I have been in the chat room this afternoon,first time in about seven years,and was made very welcome thanks chatters.

Sorry, I missed you Jinty, we used to have some fun in the first days. Have you still got your red hat?

Are you overwhelmed in chat rooms? 1 year 1 month ago #3027372

• DawnG
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I feel the same, when people are chatting I feel rude "butting in" is this normal?

Are you overwhelmed in chat rooms? 1 year 1 month ago #3027797

• Christine
  • Honor Medal 2010

DawnG wrote: I feel the same, when people are chatting I feel rude "butting in" is this normal?

Its normal Dawn but not at all necessary, a few years ago the chat room bumped you out if you had bee quiet for 15 to 20 min, that way you realised that everyone in, was really there. That, unfortunately, is not available now. So please just feel free to join in or butt in. If you can get the drift of the conversation then join in. If you ca, just say Hello everyone and start your own. Most people will respond.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Skamp

Are you overwhelmed in chat rooms? 1 year 1 month ago #3027800

• Aviara
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 4343
  • Honor Medal 2010
I always found, unless the chat room is super busy, if one comes in and says “Hi everyone, I’m new” ....you’ll be overwhelmed with ‘welcome’ ! And usually convo/questions will follow ....one has to hang in there when new to a chat room, and come often, if it’s what you wish to do :).
The following user(s) said Well Said: Skamp, Rsvp1956, Rain

Are you overwhelmed in chat rooms? 1 year 3 weeks ago #3034336

• keptafew
  • keptafew's Avatar Topic Author
  • New Buzzer
  • New Buzzer
  • Well said received: 16
I just left a chatroom feeling pretty darn uncomfortable.... I have been dabbling in a few rooms here and there and try to stick with a room with no more than 6 or so in them. Well after answering a few questions next thing I know I'm a Yank who has a funny accent and weird ideas.... then some in the room who were from Texas and Florida didnt consider themselves Yanks but Southerners which is a big difference from the yanks..... I was just WOW
Once things started flying I just didnt comment and sat back in disbelief.... I came here to relax. Honestly though that was my first bad experience the rest has just been my overwhelmed feelings brought on by myself.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Bretrick

Are you overwhelmed in chat rooms? 1 year 2 weeks ago #3036213

• Ange
  • New Buzzer
  • New Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2
  • Honor Medal 2010
Hi, I was like that at first, but years if pratice I find I can join in..
Best advice was try another room maybe just a few in to get use to chatting.
But dont get anxious please...ange x

Moderators: Patsmikesmilesrus10pascalou
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds