Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Chat about the Chat Rooms. We have the best chat rooms for over 50s seniors on the internet and now with free video chat

TOPIC: Are you overwhelmed in chat rooms?

Are you overwhelmed in chat rooms? 1 year 4 months ago #3021141

• keptafew
  • keptafew's Avatar Topic Author
  • New Buzzer
  • New Buzzer
  • Well said received: 17
I am new here and never chatted with more than one person at a time so when I visited one of the chat rooms and there were 12 people in there I was like totally overwhelmed by that.... Is that normal? I typically am not comfortable in large crowds anyways but didnt expect it to carry over here online.
So I ask, what was it like for you the first time in a chat room?
The following user(s) said Well Said: Shadowman, photogeek, Mary Mary, Bretrick, lewkat, Meeooow

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Are you overwhelmed in chat rooms? 1 year 4 months ago #3021144

• Katrina
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I have had the same experience. It all goes too fast for me. At first I thought etiquette demanded that I respond to all "Hi's or Welcomes" addressed to me. That was very taxing, whilst trying to understand what everyone was talking about. Also, there seems to be several conversations going at the same time. I have quit going to the chat rooms and will probably withdraw my membership because of it. I actually dread logging in to the chats. You are not alone. Perhaps you could become accustomed to the chats, if not, I hope you can connect with someone to chat one on one.

Are you overwhelmed in chat rooms? 1 year 4 months ago #3021147

• Mary Mary
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 443
  • Honor Medal 2010
I have ventured very little into chat rooms, mainly because my experience was not very enjoyable. Like you, I found it a bit bewildering and overwhelming. I am not a fast typist and could not keep up with all the greetings, much less join in on the conversation. It seemed as if the people there already knew each other well and were engaging in rapidfire chatter with lots of in-jokes and references that I could not follow. And people were constantly coming and going abruptly. I could not keep track of who was there and might be replying to something only to find that person had already exited. I understand that many enjoy the the chat rooms, but I do better one-on-one I have learned. I made an attempt, and the people were generally friendly and welcoming, but I just could not keep up.
The following user(s) said Well Said: photogeek, QuinTSensual, Morgeno1, Bretrick, Alora, lewkat, Meeooow

Last edit: by Mary Mary.

Are you overwhelmed in chat rooms? 1 year 4 months ago #3021151

• photogeek
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 6032
  • Honor Medal 2010
Same here. I am a member of the 'Slow Typers Brigade' & could not keep up. It was like trying to have 10 conversations at once. I never went back, but I do enjoy the forums & use the PM system to chat with as many as want to chat with me.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Mary Mary, Bretrick, Alora, lewkat, Meeooow

Are you overwhelmed in chat rooms? 1 year 4 months ago #3021160

• keptafew
  • keptafew's Avatar Topic Author
  • New Buzzer
  • New Buzzer
  • Well said received: 17
Kinda glad to see I'm not alone, I will try again with a couple people in the room but the anxiety I felt wasn't pleasurable. I will concentrate more on the forums I think. There was nothing wrong with those in the room, they were pleasant but trying to keep up with all the conversations was taxing.
The following user(s) said Well Said: photogeek, Mary Mary, Bretrick, MoonlitRoads63

Are you overwhelmed in chat rooms? 1 year 4 months ago #3021178

• Serena77
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 14244
  • Honor Medal 2010
I felt the same, overwhelmed, to say the least. I prefer the forums, pm messaging and one to one chats.
The following user(s) said Well Said: lewkat, Meeooow

"money buys everything,
but ............common sense."
Last edit: by Serena77.

Are you overwhelmed in chat rooms? 1 year 4 months ago #3021191

• Aviara
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 4067
  • Honor Medal 2010
Hello Kept :). Welcome to Buzz

Chat rooms take some getting use to and many many visits before you may, or not, feel comfortable. Many chatters ‘know’ each other by virtue of being a chat user for several months/year...so yes, it would appear they ‘know’ each other. Coming in a as a new member/chatter can be daunting for sure, but certainly not worth anxiety ! It is suppose to be fun, and if you find it’s too difficult to keep up with the conversation because of the number of chatters or the speed at which people type.... (it DOES help to have quick fingers ;) .....try going to one of the other rooms, where there may be fewer chatters. Much easier with fewer numbers in the room :). If one is interested enough in being a participating chatter and want to enjoy it, you have to give it time and practice practice practice :). I think you’ll find most chattters are friendly and willing to help newbies :)

I hope you find your ‘fit’ in Buzz and continue buzzing around ....
The following user(s) said Well Said: brenda555, Wonda, Skamp, Rsvp1956, QuinTSensual, JennieR62, Ange

Are you overwhelmed in chat rooms? 1 year 4 months ago #3021216

• Aussienan
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 333
  • Honor Medal 2010
I deal o.k. with chatrooms and I chatted with some great people but some days it was like being back in high school,with the popular groups,snide remarks etc so I stopped it.
The following user(s) said Well Said: mac67

Are you overwhelmed in chat rooms? 1 year 4 months ago #3021218

• himerus
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2853
  • Honor Medal 2010
The Forums are enough for me.
The following user(s) said Well Said: caretaker

Are you overwhelmed in chat rooms? 1 year 4 months ago #3021227

• caretaker
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 914
  • Honor Medal 2010
Years ago I ran a Citizen Band radio chat room but you could only talk one at the time, not exactly a chat room but more organised, I have given our chat room a go and when I can type with more than one finger will try again.

Good day to one and all.
Moderators: Patsmikesmilesrus10pascalou
Time to create page: 0.267 seconds