Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Chat about the Chat Rooms. We have the best chat rooms for over 50s seniors on the internet and now with free video chat

TOPIC: What to do when chat rooms will not welcome you?

What to do when chat rooms will not welcome you? 1 year 4 months ago #2910916

• Catnip
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I no longer take it to heart if I feel unwelcome. I'm not asking them to roll out the red carpet, but some groups can be very unwelcoming. I sometimes let them know how I feel and leave. I cant be bothered with it. Other times I focus one or two sociable chatters in the room and ignore the ignorant ones.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

What to do when chat rooms will not welcome you? 1 year 4 months ago #2910941

• Aviara
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 4335
  • Honor Medal 2010
Every time there is criticism of a chat room, I always wish more actual chatters, those who are in chat a lot, would also peruse the forums and include their input re this topic.....but as there are only a handful that participate regularly in both chat and the forums, that rarely happens.

Different groups/people come and go, sometimes it’s easier to fit into a nice easy chat flow....other times there may be a ‘clique’ in there, and it may be hard to feel welcomed or included. And if there are 15-20 ppl in there, that will make it quite difficult to jump into a convo, there may be several going all at the same time :)

If one is interested enough in chat, they will keep trying .... and not take being ‘ignored’ too personally ......it’s hardly done on purpose :s
The following user(s) said Well Said: brenda555, shrubby, Mary Mary

What to do when chat rooms will not welcome you? 1 year 4 months ago #2910957

• Catnip
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Very true, Aviara. The key is to not take it personally, which is difficult for a newbie.

What to do when chat rooms will not welcome you? 9 months 9 hours ago #3065709

• Nighthawk
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 109
  • Honor Medal 2010
I can't remember a time when I felt ignored. Have always found friendly chatters. That could be my time chatting is limited to weekends. With my work schedule and things I want to accomplish at home during evenings, I stay off site. But weekends and especially the Music room is always hopping with great music and chatters who enjoy chatting with friends and making new friends.
The following user(s) said Well Said: JCraigm

What to do when chat rooms will not welcome you? 8 months 4 weeks ago #3066207

• Morganman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
There are a few things that I find difficult when entering a chat room and it is not solely here but many other places and for that reason I don't go there often

No 1
As I enter I just like to say Hello everyone to get it done and over with but no there follows 20 individual Hellos and I guess they expect a hello back so you spend about 10 minutes of pointless typing

No 2
Then like most chat sites there is always one Chat Queen who occupies the room and by the virtue of the circumstances dominates the room and others through sheer politeness put up with that

No 3
Then when it comes to good bye is like Ground hog day (No1 all over)

For that reason I don't go to chat rooms in general that often. I have very little experience of the specific chats here but if I do I am normally quite quiet

What to do when chat rooms will not welcome you? 8 months 4 weeks ago #3066219

• Serena77
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 10684
  • Honor Medal 2010
I've gone in maybe twice.. It probably takes a while to get used to it.....while you're typing in a frenzy..trying to answer everyone. I like the leisurely pace of the forums, pm messaging and one to one chat.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Morgeno1, Bonzo, Heather, lewkat

"money buys everything,
but ............common sense."

What to do when chat rooms will not welcome you? 8 months 4 weeks ago #3067142

• Dennis 2
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3666
  • Honor Medal 2010

Morganman wrote: There are a few things that I find difficult when entering a chat room and it is not solely here but many other places and for that reason I don't go there often

No 1
As I enter I just like to say Hello everyone to get it done and over with but no there follows 20 individual Hellos and I guess they expect a hello back so you spend about 10 minutes of pointless typing

No 2
Then like most chat sites there is always one Chat Queen who occupies the room and by the virtue of the circumstances dominates the room and others through sheer politeness put up with that

No 3
Then when it comes to good bye is like Ground hog day (No1 all over)

For that reason I don't go to chat rooms in general that often. I have very little experience of the specific chats here but if I do I am normally quite quiet

I agree on all the hello goodbye mess a waste of time and was told that's just the way it is so entering the next time I hello and good bye all for when I leave then told how rude

Also Rarely ever saw anything interesting discussed like best way to peal celery and such, rarely ever go in there.

If you like to chat look for a site that has things that interest you, they are out there, not sure if this site allows mentioning them.

What to do when chat rooms will not welcome you? 8 months 4 weeks ago #3067280

• Christine
  • Well said received: 377
  • Honor Medal 2010
HI, I am in the chat rooms every day and I too always say"Hello everyone", but I dont expect a reply back. In fact often peoples names are showing but they are not there. they are doing something else. We have many meaningful chats covering a great many subjects. If there are none that interest you, then try starting one that does, I am sure you will always get replys. All we ask is that you read the rules . If you think someone is dominating the room, just mute them, its no problem and they dont know youve done it and when you leave a room just say Bye and click off. no need to wait around to count who answers you.
The following user(s) said Well Said: brenda555, missnic, lewkat

We can all do more than we have done and not be a whit the worse.
It was never loving that emptied the heart, nor giving that emptied the purse.

What to do when chat rooms will not welcome you? 8 months 4 weeks ago #3067734

• Nighthawk
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 109
  • Honor Medal 2010
Just to add to Christine's wisdom: As you make friends, you will, in time, find that they are greeting you even before you have "Hello" typed.
The following user(s) said Well Said: brenda555, JCraigm, lewkat

What to do when chat rooms will not welcome you? 7 months 3 days ago #3108711

• missnic
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 21
"Will not welcome".. Is this an issue? LoL... Perhaps it's because a perspective chatter, new or otherwise, expects to be engaged in conversation. Consider an individual's personality, and experiece. Men and women who are comfortable chatting in a group, should have no problem asserting themselves in a chat room. Shy, and/or reserved people might find jumping into the mix, difficult. It's reasonable to assume becoming familiar with peers, takes a day or two, and must include social exchange, get in there and gab! Buen Suerte, amigos.

Last edit: by Pats. Reason: non username removed
Moderators: Patsmikesmilesrus10pascalou
Time to create page: 0.256 seconds