Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Chat about the Chat Rooms. We have the best chat rooms for over 50s seniors on the internet and now with free video chat

TOPIC: What to do when chat rooms will not welcome you?

What to do when chat rooms will not welcome you? 1 year 2 months ago #2890423

• Cathy
  • Cathy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 63
  • Honor Medal 2010
Everyone knows I'm not new but I think I just got my first "your not welcome here" feeling. Went into the chat room at a different time then normal and everyone was new to me. I stated that and said this will be a good chance to make new friends. Nothing.....nothing from no one. I did make a few comments here and there and two of the ladies were very nice to answer questions or to thank me for something I said directed to them. I have been on Buzz going on 6 yrs and I have heard how this happens with new people but I have to tell you guys it does not feel good. I threw in a couple of jokes about the New Year and again nothing......nothing. The moderator was the only one talking to me until I left. I'm sure or hope this was not done on purpose so please everyone pay more attention to people that come into the room....say hello or something!!!!

Any tips would be helpful....
The following user(s) said Well Said: Marker2you, Twitterbug, Keeper, Morgeno1

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Cathy.

What to do when chat rooms will not welcome you? 1 year 2 months ago #2890429

• Birdy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Shame on them, isn't that what we're all on here for.....
Being relatively new myself I haven't any tips to give but was told to 'dive on in theyre a friendly bunch' by someone I know on here, I done just that on the forums and it's been fab, so thanks to you all.
but will give the chat rooms a miss me thinks !
(at least till I've been here some time)

What to do when chat rooms will not welcome you? 1 year 2 months ago #2890434

• Aviara
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 4499
  • Honor Medal 2010
Hello Cathy :)

I’m sure not everyone knows you’re not new, as the chat room has changed and continues to change a lot over months/years :). I think I just read a post by you saying you had been welcomed with open arms by people who didn’t even know you and you were very pleased by this and thought everyone was very friendly and thanked them ... a lovely post :). I’m sorry you felt unwelcomed this one time ...

Different times/time zones bring different people into chat, as I’m sure you know ....and I suppose there are some chatters that are friendlier than others ...just like people in the real world lol ... and you can get a very different group of chatters in at any given time. Often if there is a lot of ppl coming and going, lots of hi’s and bi’s, comments are often missed .... there can be a myriad of reasons why ppl don’t respond to others comments ... I’ve been frustrated by that too, as I’m sure lots of chatters have ....happy to hear you had a convo with the Moderator though :).

Welcome back Cathy...hope you continue to enjoy the chat room :)
The following user(s) said Well Said: brenda555, Cozi, Pocahontas, Morgeno1

Last edit: by Aviara. Reason: Spelling

What to do when chat rooms will not welcome you? 1 year 2 months ago #2890441

• Cathy
  • Cathy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 63
  • Honor Medal 2010

Aviara wrote: Hello Cathy :)
Thank you Aviara and yes different times have a lot to do with it. I'm not worried for myself (guess I should have stated that) as much as I am for new people. I am sure these ladies are lovely people and maybe it was just a bad day or night for them.....we all have them. But it did concern me to the point I felt like I wanted some advice how a new person should handle this.

I’m sure not everyone knows you’re not new, as the chat room has changed and continues to change a lot over months/years :). I think I just read a post by you saying you had been welcomed with open arms by people who didn’t even know you and you were very pleased by this and thought everyone was very friendly and thanked them ... a lovely post :). I’m sorry you felt unwelcomed this one time ...

Different times/time zones bring different people into chat, as I’m sure you know ....and I suppose there are some chatters that are friendlier than others ...just like people in the real world lol ... and you can get a very different group of chatters in at any given time. Often if there is a lot of ppl coming and going, lots of hi’s and bi’s, comments are often missed .... there can be a myriad of reasons why ppl don’t respond to others comments ... I’ve been frustrated by that too, as I’m sure lots of chatters have ....happy to hear you had a convo with the Moderator though :).

Welcome back Cathy...hope you continue to enjoy the chat room :)

Aviara you are right when I came back after being away I was welcome with open arms and felt that way also. So I'll just put this down to bad timing maybe......

Last edit: by pascalou. Reason: fixed the quote

What to do when chat rooms will not welcome you? 1 year 2 months ago #2890517

• Rips
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3675
  • Honor Medal 2010
I visited a Buzz chatroom a month or so ago all be it by accident I’m a forum gal .
The chatters were lovely made me feel most welcome .
Cathy I’m suprised to hear of your experience, could it be that some had left their keyboards gone off to do something or were busy chatting to someone privately .
I’d give them the benefit of the doubt and give it another go.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Cozi

What to do when chat rooms will not welcome you? 1 year 2 months ago #2890662

• brenda555
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 293
  • Honor Medal 2010
this can happen to even long term chatters myself included lolol

with chat you just go with the flow if its not right for you at that time just come back later ............ I think .......perhaps
maybe lolol :)
The following user(s) said Well Said: Cozi

What to do when chat rooms will not welcome you? 1 year 2 months ago #2890732

• RosieLeah
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3095
  • Honor Medal 2010
I find I have the opposite problem when I enter chat rooms. I like to sit and follow the conversation to start with, then join in if I have something to add. I find though, that you're expected to join in as soon as you enter. On some sites, you're actually chucked out if you're just there to observe.

What to do when chat rooms will not welcome you? 1 year 2 months ago #2895515

• pudding
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Just popped into the chat room! And I must say what a friendly lot,but due to my slow internet,not knowing the abreviations many use,and the speed of the chat,I need a bit more practice lol. Thankyou to all of you who made me feel welcome .

Last edit: by pudding.

What to do when chat rooms will not welcome you? 1 year 2 months ago #2897566

• Jasmin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I have to say my experience with the chat rooms hasn't been great. I always say Hi when I enter and two or three people might reply. I've tried joining in on the conversations but my comments are ignored, and it was obvious that there was a 'click' of people who were quite happy just chatting amongst themselves.

I like to think I'm a friendly person, but having tried a few times now to strike up a conversation in the chat room to no avail I don't think I'll be trying again anytime soon, which is a shame when I joined this site hoping to make new friends.

What to do when chat rooms will not welcome you? 1 year 2 months ago #2897590

• CorpSpy
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 46
  • Honor Medal 2010
When you're new, I think one way to bond with people in chatrooms is to ask them some questions -- not real personal ones, just things like "where are you from," and kind of go from there. It's not a bad idea to look at their profiles and ask them about something there.

Most people like to talk about themselves, and asking questions is the way to get them to do that. And when they answer, say something positive and ask another question. By reaching out to them in this way, they (at least some) will begin to feel a connection and more likely to engage with you.

Or just throw out a general question to the whole group and see if you can get a general conversation going in response.

Questions are the engine of social conversation with people you are meeting for the first time.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Morgeno1

Last edit: by CorpSpy.
Moderators: PatsMikesmilesrus10pascalou
Time to create page: 0.231 seconds