TOPIC: OIL IN MY 21 YEAR OLD CAR

OIL IN MY 21 YEAR OLD CAR 11 months 2 weeks ago #3908215

• caretaker
  • caretaker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 139
  • Honor Medal 2010
I have had my car now for a year and when I picked it up it had a service but I checked the water and oil all okay, every month through this year I check the oil but still full, today after the car was stood all night it was full up of oil.
The car is a Honda cvr 2002, 2000cc miles lots.
is this normal?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

I love my spell checker.
Have a nice day to one and all.

OIL IN MY 21 YEAR OLD CAR 11 months 2 weeks ago #3908219

• RichardA
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 420
  • Honor Medal 2010

caretaker wrote: I have had my car now for a year and when I picked it up it had a service but I checked the water and oil all okay, every month through this year I check the oil but still full, today after the car was stood all night it was full up of oil.
The car is a Honda cvr 2002, 2000cc miles lots.
is this normal?

It depends what you mean by "full up" caretaker? Full to the top marker is fine but if it has gone above that mark it could be something leaking within the engine. Water possibly. As oil floats on water it'll be in the sump raising the oil level indication but the water level would of course show as being lower.
The following user(s) said Well Said: GerryM, Bruce

OIL IN MY 21 YEAR OLD CAR 11 months 2 weeks ago #3908220

• sciguy18
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 841
  • Honor Medal 2010
I’m not sure what you mean either. The oil level always being at the “full” line is normal. If you’re saying it always was but is now above that line, then I concur with the other commenter.

OIL IN MY 21 YEAR OLD CAR 11 months 2 weeks ago #3908243

• caretaker
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
The oil is on the dipstick top line, oil black in colour but not looking gritty, the miles we drive are about 80 to 100 per month but this will go up a bit in the summer.
No white smoke from the exhaust as i followed it in my brothers-in-law's car
If water was getting into the oil would this make it look milky on the filler cap?
Why i ask is my last Honda drank oil.

I love my spell checker.

OIL IN MY 21 YEAR OLD CAR 11 months 2 weeks ago #3908250

• Bruce
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 265
  • Honor Medal 2010

caretaker wrote: The oil is on the dipstick top line, oil black in colour but not looking gritty, the miles we drive are about 80 to 100 per month but this will go up a bit in the summer.
No white smoke from the exhaust as i followed it in my brothers-in-law's car
If water was getting into the oil would this make it look milky on the filler cap?
Why i ask is my last Honda drank oil.

It's the sign of a good engine and Honda are very good engines. We have a renault scenic 1.9dti from 2001 we use to shift stuff about in as with the back seats out it offers a lot of room and it has just clocked 80k miles it is ugly a bit rattily and plain as the day is long but it never uses oil or water and under the bonnet is as clean as a 2021 model.

If the oil was dropping after a couple of thousand miles in a Honda engine it would be a concern of piston rings or valve seals or guides.
If the oil level don't drop that's good so just do a oil change every 12 months or 10k miles and it should be fine.

Yes and No the filler cap would be like a yoghurt. sometimes condensation can cause this and people think the head gasket or something is on the way out when it isn't.
If you have any concerns about the head gasket get a compression test and a vapour test on the water system both very cheap and easy to do.

Usually the PCV on Hondas needs changing but you will know if it does as the car will drink oil and yours isn't so no worries.
PCV is positive crankcase ventilation, it lets the pressure in the bottom of the engine get released to the top of the engine,

Honda make very good engines.
The following user(s) said Well Said: QuietMouse01, caretaker, Shadowman, Robin, RichardA

RETIRED WITH GRACE

OIL IN MY 21 YEAR OLD CAR 11 months 2 weeks ago #3908252

• caretaker
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
Thanks, Bruce, I feel better now.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Bruce

I love my spell checker.

OIL IN MY 21 YEAR OLD CAR 11 months 2 weeks ago #3908253

• Robin
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 281
  • Honor Medal 2010
If I under stand correctly. Your oil on the dip is black, is ok but like you said if the oil on the dip stick is creamy color, water is definitely getting into the oil. Bad sign.
But if the creamy oil is around your filler cap, it could be a couple of minor thing, engine been washed or driving in heavy rain or high water that got into you engine compartment.
Wipe it off and if it comes back you will have to check farther.
If you see creamy oil in the engine where put in the oil it could be a blown or cracked head gasket.
Check it before and after every use.
The following user(s) said Well Said: caretaker, Runswithbeer

• Page:
Moderators: mikePatsMoonlitRoads63
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds