Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Many of us are carers now and so this category is for carers to share their thoughts and experiences
  • Page:

TOPIC: Catheters

Catheters 1 year 4 months ago #3021805

• Pudding
  • Pudding's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
My 91 year old stepfather with Alzheimer’s has a catheter now
At night he had the larger night one but due to restless sleep
It disconnected and this morning the bed was wet through .
Has anybody any experience with thses ?
There is my mother living with him but she has non hogekins and hands with carpel tunnel
I can’t alwYs get to them in the middle of the night , which perhaps would decrease the amount in the bag , any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Catheters 1 year 4 months ago #3023463

• JUJO
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Pudding wrote: My 91 year old stepfather with Alzheimer’s has a catheter now
At night he had the larger night one but due to restless sleep
It disconnected and this morning the bed was wet through .
Has anybody any experience with thses ?
There is my mother living with him but she has non hogekins and hands with carpel tunnel
I can’t alwYs get to them in the middle of the night , which perhaps would decrease the amount in the bag , any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Is it possible for your mother and stepfather to have carers coming in,even staying overnight with them,this would really help,and ease the stress for you.

Catheters 1 year 4 months ago #3023465

• Pudding
  • Pudding's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
They have someone help with showers in the morning
And a few hours cleaning a week
But I am carer , as I work it’s been a challenge going in the night because of the catheter .
If I don’t go , is the wet bed .
He’s a restless sleeper so it pulls the tube from the bag , I don’t want to tape it .
Rather it pulls out the bag I think than cause pain,

Catheters 1 year 3 months ago #3027197

• vpl
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 490
  • Honor Medal 2010
There are many medical companies that advertise on the internet. Contact them by email or phone telling them of the problem and asking for their advice. They have all dealt with this many times and will come up with some practical advice and send you free samples to try. When you have found what suits best tell your GP who should write out a monthly prescription for these and the company will deliver them. Just Google Catheters or Medical Supplies.

Last edit: by vpl.

Catheters 10 months 2 days ago #3150915

• Cobbygirl
  • New Buzzer
  • New Buzzer
  • Well said received: 0
  • Honor Medal 2010
Have you tried wrapping the join with a bit of sticky plaster or something similar? Will keep the tube to the night bag more secure.

Catheters 10 months 2 days ago #3151025

• jeffreybbb
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 64
  • Honor Medal 2010
Pudding it sounds like you need a community care assessment from social services, for your dad and a carers assessment for you, to improve and increase the amount of help you and dad get from the system, he is entitled to an advocate free from them to assist with the assessment and explain his needs, depending on his degree of dementia even if he will not have the assessment you are entitled by law to one to provide help for you with his needs
Have you contacted district nurses, GP or any of the charities that work with people with people with Altzeimers and or whatever was the cause of the catheterization for advice or support
The following user(s) said Well Said: JUJO

Catheters 10 months 2 days ago #3151029

• Rhett1
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1647
  • Honor Medal 2010
I’m presuming he has a night bad. With long tubing,how is it leaking
Sorry,yes he has the night bag. How is it disconnecting? My husband had one for the last 9 months of his life. Never disconnected. Although it did leak sometimes

Last edit: by Rhett1.

Catheters 4 months 4 days ago #3272726

• jillwings7
  • New Buzzer
  • New Buzzer
  • Well said received: 18
Sometimes catheters need flushed with a little saline solution to unclog them. We deal with a sraight cath which is different than a foley but I have a lot of experience dealing with foley caths after surgeries . The tubes need checked to make sure they aren't being laid on, kinked. They need flushed out sometimes when clogged (i irrigated with a syringe and saline). The bag may also need emptied more frequently.

• Page:
Moderators: pascaloumike
Time to create page: 0.201 seconds