Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Many of us are carers now and so this category is for carers to share their thoughts and experiences

TOPIC: Looking for others who are/were caregivers for spouses

Looking for others who are/were caregivers for spouses 2 months 2 weeks ago #3245968

  • Bonnie12
  • Bonnie12's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Posts: 43
  • Well said received: 38
  • Points: 28616
  • Honor Medal 2010
Caring for a family member is hard but caring for your spouse or partner is the hardest thing I have ever done.
The lack of a future is the hardest next the isolation,,the contant appointments..and coping but we dont want them to stop there life to care for us. We both want them to visit regularly though.
I was the main carer for my parent even though there was 3 bothers and a sister. I dont want our care to land on them as I know that a resented my parents at time. I was bringing up my family and running around for them too. Shopping, ensuring they had access to washing facilities, sometimes preparing food and the endless runs to hospitals....dont want that for my children.
The following user(s) said Well Said: ron french, SimplyRobin, dannyboy, Rose57

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Looking for others who are/were caregivers for spouses 2 months 17 hours ago #3257493

  • JUJO
  • JUJO's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Posts: 2386
  • Well said received: 2481
  • Points: 315
Carers save the Government a huge amount of money, because,if the person the carer was looking after,went into residential care,it would be more expensive.
Unfortunately, the Government doesn’t help or support Carers,as much as they should do, I myself have been a carer , it is not easy,
Sadly,this day and age,due to budgets,Outside help for Carers is being cut,
The Carers allowance payment is an insult,for everything a carer does.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Libby

Please Log in to join the conversation.

No home is complete without the pitter patter of kitty feet.

Looking for others who are/were caregivers for spouses 2 months 8 hours ago #3257827

  • welshlion
  • welshlion's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Posts: 869
  • Well said received: 173
  • Points: 20251
  • Honor Medal 2010

JUJO wrote: ,
The Carers allowance payment is an insult,for everything a carer does.


And when you start claiming state pension, you remain a carer but can no longer claim carers allowance, that makes it even more insulting!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

To be born Welsh is not to be born with a silver spoon in your mouth, but with a song in your heart.

Looking for others who are/were caregivers for spouses 1 month 4 weeks ago #3258118

  • JUJO
  • JUJO's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Posts: 2386
  • Well said received: 2481
  • Points: 315

welshlion wrote:

JUJO wrote: ,
The Carers allowance payment is an insult,for everything a carer does.


And when you start claiming state pension, you remain a carer but can no longer claim carers allowance, that makes it even more insulting!






I had absolutely no idea about that,that you could not get Carers allowance,once you claim state pension.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

No home is complete without the pitter patter of kitty feet.

Looking for others who are/were caregivers for spouses 1 month 4 weeks ago #3258534

  • welshlion
  • welshlion's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Posts: 869
  • Well said received: 173
  • Points: 20251
  • Honor Medal 2010

JUJO wrote:

welshlion wrote:

JUJO wrote: ,
The Carers allowance payment is an insult,for everything a carer does.


And when you start claiming state pension, you remain a carer but can no longer claim carers allowance, that makes it even more insulting!


It's simply because state pension is more than the maximumm earnings limit for carers allowance.





I had absolutely no idea about that,that you could not get Carers allowance,once you claim state pension.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

To be born Welsh is not to be born with a silver spoon in your mouth, but with a song in your heart.

Looking for others who are/were caregivers for spouses 1 month 2 weeks ago #3267205

  • JUJO
  • JUJO's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Posts: 2386
  • Well said received: 2481
  • Points: 315
How does the Government expect people to live,? In this day and age I think people survive more than live.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Libby, Rose57

Please Log in to join the conversation.

No home is complete without the pitter patter of kitty feet.

Looking for others who are/were caregivers for spouses 1 month 1 week ago #3269474

  • jennilin
  • jennilin's Avatar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

JUJO wrote: How does the Government expect people to live,? In this day and age I think people survive more than live.


Especially when carers are saving the Government millions through home care ... exploitation springs to mind !

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Looking for others who are/were caregivers for spouses 1 month 1 week ago #3269530

  • welshlion
  • welshlion's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Posts: 869
  • Well said received: 173
  • Points: 20251
  • Honor Medal 2010

JUJO wrote: How does the Government expect people to live,? In this day and age I think people survive more than live.


This government expects you to work and care, but there is a limit on how much you can earn and get carer's allowance...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

To be born Welsh is not to be born with a silver spoon in your mouth, but with a song in your heart.

Looking for others who are/were caregivers for spouses 1 month 1 week ago #3269629

  • weatherpoet
  • weatherpoet's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Posts: 329
  • Well said received: 235
  • Points: 200
I don't know if the rules have changed because this was how things were for me about 15 years ago.
As you say, they expect you to work And care which can be impossible simply because the caring role takes all your energy and your sleep away. However, 15 years ago I did attempt to do a little work for a break but it was far too much hassle in the end.
They said I could work up to 16 hrs a week but because we had a mortgage, the revised calculations meant I could only work no more than 4 hours a week. The added problem was when one month I didn't get paid and the employer added it to the following months pay therefore doubling it, our benefits were stopped, we didn't receive any monies for weeks And I had to fill in All the forms again for them to backdate our payments despite me telling them the double pay was 2 months worth and caused by an error.
When I did do any extra work I told the employer not to pay me the tiny bit extra because it would happen again.
After that my caring role became much more demanding so I had to give up the work anyway. When I get asked if I'd like to work, I ask back would they like to give me more support by day and sleep by night.
Now I just do voluntary as it's much less stressful for all the reasons above.
I think their ideal world would be we all earn thousands of pounds so we can pay for our own healthcare and employ our own helpers so we can save them millions to balance their books regardless of the human costs.
I just hope the people won't allow that to happen or I think we'll lose our humanity to the vulnerable in our society.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Looking for others who are/were caregivers for spouses 1 month 1 week ago #3269691

  • JUJO
  • JUJO's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Posts: 2386
  • Well said received: 2481
  • Points: 315
The Government have you backed up against a wall

Please Log in to join the conversation.

No home is complete without the pitter patter of kitty feet.
Moderators: pascaloumike
Time to create page: 0.252 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum

Over 50 forums just for seniors Join Free here!

Buzz50 is one of the few sites where the forums are strictly restricted to those who are over 50 only.

Our senior forums are run by over 50s purely for over 50s to enjoy. If you like serious or even light hearted discussions then this is the place for you.