Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Many of us are carers now and so this category is for carers to share their thoughts and experiences

TOPIC: Looking for others who are/were caregivers for spouses

Looking for others who are/were caregivers for spouses 2 years 10 months ago #2652269

• Bonnie12
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 32
  • Honor Medal 2010

woodsaw wrote: Doing what we need to its without choice just that it has to be alone is the sad thing ! :S

When I say I am lonely its the bit about not having my hubby as he was....and I miss being a .....part of a couple if you get my meaning.......
The following user(s) said Well Said: JennieR62

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Looking for others who are/were caregivers for spouses 2 years 8 months ago #2681744

• JUJO
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Bonnie12 wrote:

woodsaw wrote: Doing what we need to its without choice just that it has to be alone is the sad thing ! :S

When I say I am lonely its the bit about not having my hubby as he was....and I miss being a .....part of a couple if you get my meaning.......

Itmust be incredibly difficult seeing your wife or husband so Ill, and remembering them years back,in happier days.

Looking for others who are/were caregivers for spouses 2 years 8 months ago #2681764

• chorderlite
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 794
  • Honor Medal 2010
Me too highlander

Looking for others who are/were caregivers for spouses 2 years 8 months ago #2681771

• chorderlite
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 794
  • Honor Medal 2010

ron french wrote: When I was her carer I was doing everything making meals for her but I knew she was there now I am making meals just for one,people keep saying it gets easier but dosnt

It doesn't get easier my friend, you learn to live with it.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Bonnie12

Looking for others who are/were caregivers for spouses 2 years 8 months ago #2681778

• JUJO
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

chorderlite wrote:

ron french wrote: When I was her carer I was doing everything making meals for her but I knew she was there now I am making meals just for one,people keep saying it gets easier but dosnt

It doesn't get easier my friend, you learn to live with it.

Lots of carers on buzz will say the same.

Looking for others who are/were caregivers for spouses 2 years 8 months ago #2685790

• JUJO
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
If you live in U.K., Carers U.K. Maybe to offer help and support.

Looking for others who are/were caregivers for spouses 2 years 6 months ago #2742336

• sunshine1957
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi, I was my husbands carer, as he was quadriplegic after a bike accident many years ago. Although it was real hard sometimes, as I was working in Nursing and Social care and then coming home to take care of him. We had to make sure that I did not become his nurse/carer in that sense of the word, as I was his wife and wanted it to stay that way.

I have not seen anyone posting on here that they have direct payments from the council to help pay for carers to come in. I claimed for it over the last year of my husbands life and it made a huge difference to being able to have some time for myself, and also for my husband to get out and about without me. That is very important to be able to just get in the car and go to the shops, or go and visit a friend, or even just go for a coffee on your own and people watch lol. Even though he was in a power chair and needed loads of help, it did not stop us getting out and about, travelling on trains or planes. Our life was fun and we always avoided people who did the 'there there' type of comments lol, as my husband really did not like people to treat him in any way different at all. He never had self pity for what happened to him, and loved life no matter what it dealt him. I was very fortunate to have him in my life, and everyone who knew him, family and friends, learnt so much from him. Feel free to ask me any questions about our life.

Looking for others who are/were caregivers for spouses 2 years 5 months ago #2743163

• Bonnie12
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 32
  • Honor Medal 2010
Your positivity is amazing. Must have been hard losing him and he must have been so strong to be upbeat about life.

sunshine1957 wrote: Hi, I was my husbands carer, as he was quadriplegic after a bike accident many years ago. Although it was real hard sometimes, as I was working in Nursing and Social care and then coming home to take care of him. We had to make sure that I did not become his nurse/carer in that sense of the word, as I was his wife and wanted it to stay that way.

I have not seen anyone posting on here that they have direct payments from the council to help pay for carers to come in. I claimed for it over the last year of my husbands life and it made a huge difference to being able to have some time for myself, and also for my husband to get out and about without me. That is very important to be able to just get in the car and go to the shops, or go and visit a friend, or even just go for a coffee on your own and people watch lol. Even though he was in a power chair and needed loads of help, it did not stop us getting out and about, travelling on trains or planes. Our life was fun and we always avoided people who did the 'there there' type of comments lol, as my husband really did not like people to treat him in any way different at all. He never had self pity for what happened to him, and loved life no matter what it dealt him. I was very fortunate to have him in my life, and everyone who knew him, family and friends, learnt so much from him. Feel free to ask me any questions about our life.

Looking for others who are/were caregivers for spouses 2 years 1 week ago #2855675

• Spokanejim
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi from Spokane My wife is a dialysis patient last 10 years but has been in bed most the last 25 years I love chatting so look for me sometime

Last edit: by Pats. Reason: non username removed

Looking for others who are/were caregivers for spouses 2 years 1 week ago #2857282

• vpl
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 490
  • Honor Medal 2010
Hello Spokane, my husband is also a dialysis patient. He has dialysis three times a week and also sleeps a lot as do most people who have this treatment.
Feel free to send me a PM if you want a chat.

Moderators: pascaloumike
Time to create page: 0.220 seconds