TOPIC: Prostate Cancer

Prostate Cancer 1 year 5 months ago #2887659

• patcaf
  • patcaf's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 105
  • Honor Medal 2010
I have just been diagnosed with prostate cancer ( rated 7 on the Gleeson scale) . Bit of a shock as I only retired 5 months ago with all sorts of plans. Now about to start all sort of scans to see if it has spread and get some idea of treatment. The proposed treatment of prostate removal has some nasty side effects which can make your remaining years very difficult. Strange thing is that I am very fit and healthy with absolutely no symptoms. I took a blood test which revealed high PSA levels otherwise I would have no idea there was anything wrong.

Has anyone else been through this and what did you do?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Prostate Cancer 1 year 5 months ago #2887667

• JUJO
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

patcaf wrote: I have just been diagnosed with prostate cancer ( rated 7 on the Gleeson scale) . Bit of a shock as I only retired 5 months ago with all sorts of plans. Now about to start all sort of scans to see if it has spread and get some idea of treatment. The proposed treatment of prostate removal has some nasty side effects which can make your remaining years very difficult. Strange thing is that I am very fit and healthy with absolutely no symptoms. I took a blood test which revealed high PSA levels otherwise I would have no idea there was anything wrong.

So very sorry to hear your news,Lots of Good Luck with your treatment and for the future.

Has anyone else been through this and what did you do?

Prostate Cancer 1 year 5 months ago #2887691

• Aida
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 7214
  • Honor Medal 2010
I know 2 gentlemen who had this diagnosis around 15 years ago both were in their 60s ; neither of them had surgery , both still alive, one runs s donkey sanctuary and can regularly be seen pushing a wheel barrow full of hay.

Tolerance is the seed : acceptance is the tree.
Last edit: by Aida.

Prostate Cancer 1 year 5 months ago #2887714

• Myra
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Just a quick post to say that my friend's husband was diagnosed with prostate cancer and was told he had two years to live. That was ten years ago..................... He's as fit as a fiddle these days.

All the best with your treatment and take faith in the fact that there are so many survivors of prostate cancer.

Prostate Cancer 1 year 5 months ago #2887742

• Popeye
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 364
  • Honor Medal 2010
About 10 tears ago I had read, somewhere, about the importance of getting regular PSA checks.
I asked, at my surgery, and had my first blood test specifically aimed at PSA.
It came back normal.
Later I was discussing this with two groups of friends.
Some of my local (Golf Club Friends) listened - and acted.
One, who had no symptoms, was off the scale and had surgery. He is now fine and dandy, still with no symptoms.
Another also had no symptoms but was way above the scale with the PSA result. He has been undergoing treatment for all those years and was stable for most of the time but now has a relapse and is into Chemo.
In the other group, No one had heard of the PSA test and one, on enquiring at his surgery, was told that PSA tests produced too many false positives and were, therefore, not worth doing.
I asked him to think again whether false positives were better than no info - so he went somewhere else and was OK.
Throughout those last 10 years I have remained interested and have watched developments via news reports on treatment.
It remains clear, to me, that early detection and the treatment which follows, is vitally important in personal survival.
So many ways of dealing with the problem have emerged and it seems evident that you can get through it if you persevere.

All this leads to a thought for all readers of this topic.
Why not have a blood test and find out.
It's unbelievably easy to do the blood test.....and may well save your life.
Men seem amazingly stupid when it comes to letting medics mess with their bits....and they can pay the price for not doing so.
The following user(s) said Well Said: TwistNShout, QuietMouse01

Popeye
Last edit: by Popeye.

Prostate Cancer 1 year 5 months ago #2887747

• Pats
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Well said received: 11413
  • Honor Medal 2010

Popeye wrote: It remains clear, to me, that early detection and the treatment which follows, is vitally important in personal survival.
So many ways of dealing with the problem have emerged and it seems evident that you can get through it if you persevere.

All this leads to a thought for all readers of this topic.
Why not have a blood test and find out.
It's unbelievably easy to do the blood test.....and may well save your life.
Men seem amazingly stupid when it comes to letting medics mess with their bits....and they can pay the price for not doing so.

Very well stated Popeye.

Happy to help.

Prostate Cancer 1 year 4 months ago #2888193

• D1A2V3I4
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 439
  • Honor Medal 2010
Yes I have had prostate cancer. 6 years ago my PSA was 12, which I had no idea about until a routine blood test. It did not mean that I had cancer, but this was found with three awful biopsies. The biopsies were the worse part of the whole process.
The findings were that I had 5% cancer infection. The options were an operation or radiotherapy. I chose the latter.Three months of daily therapy. A round trip of 120 kilometers a day to the hospital excluding weekends.
Now 6 years later my oncologist is pleased with my progress. PSA 0.04. So the big C can be beaten if found in time.
There are some side effects after such a treatment, but I will not go into them here. Your doctor can explain, but nothing to worry about and stop you enjoying life.
The following user(s) said Well Said: MsBelinda

Prostate Cancer 1 year 4 months ago #2889746

• patcaf
  • patcaf's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 105
  • Honor Medal 2010
Thank you. That's what I like to hear. I sometimes think doctors feel 'that something must be done' rather than looking at what is best for the patient.
The following user(s) said Well Said: MsBelinda

Prostate Cancer 1 year 4 months ago #2906614

• MsBelinda
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 185
  • Honor Medal 2010
Good Luck hugs xx

Last edit: by MsBelinda.

Prostate Cancer 1 year 3 months ago #2916267

• Zarie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
A good friend of mine received a similar, and unexpected, diagnosis two weeks ago. He has now started HRT and is to have prostate removal (it is 60% cancer affected) plus radiotherapy. He's 59. He says that he is "just going to get on with it!" Luckily we both know people who have been through it and are still with us : ) I have two other good friends who received the same diagnosis but their decision has been to get on with their lives, without treatment. One received their diagnosis six years ago and the other received his three years ago, both appear fit, healthy and active. So I'd say...think positive. Many people are walking around with cancer growths inside 'em and they don't know it. Yours has been found, that's all. Whatever you decide to do I wish you all the very best.

Moderators: pascaloumike
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds