Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Living with Cancer

Living with Cancer 4 years 2 months ago #2125348

• bedfordshirerose
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2246
  • Honor Medal 2010
I was diagnosed with Bowel cancer 5 and a half years ago. Suffered stomach pain and went to the doctor . A few months later pain would not go and went and had tests in the hospital where the tumour was diagnosed. Within 3 weeks I was having surgery in London and after 8 treatments of chemo. I am still under the hospital where I am scrutinised quite often. In fact only a couple of months ago I was being investigated with more tests but fortunately clear.

Two of my uncles had Bowel cancer and my younger cousin who I just visited in the states is just recovering from blood cancer. Fortunately her twin sister who is in the same blood group donated her some of her blood cells and she is so much better..

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Living with Cancer 4 years 2 months ago #2125366

• lincolnshirelass
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I was discharged by the hospital after five years clear of cancer but without the checks that the hospital give you I am still scared it will come back and not be diagnosed in time

Living with Cancer 4 years 2 months ago #2125374

• bedfordshirerose
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2246
  • Honor Medal 2010
I went to the doctor a few months ago as had pain an immediately because of my past history I was referred. You can always visit your doctor Lincolnshirelass ands explain your fears.

Living with Cancer 4 years 2 months ago #2125887

• chorderlite
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1003
  • Honor Medal 2010

lincolnshirelass wrote: Jon and Chorderlite, thank you for giving a perspective from those who have to deal with the outcome of someone being diagnosed with Cancer.and I think you are right more help is needed for the families and friends of the person affected, its hard to deal with the likleyhood of loosing a loved one and not comunicate your fears to the one affected
in my own case i was diagnosed by mamogram with the early stages of Breast Cancer and within three weeks was out of Hospital all done and dusted except for the radio therapy but the reaction of my family and friends was a mixture of not talking about it because it might upset me or or outpourings of grief and as I did not know how to deal with it at that time how is anybody else to know.I have now been Cancer free for nearly six years but am more scared now than at any other time because as i explained my safety net of a yearly mamogram has been removed to every three years and although i dealt with the original diagnoses with an almost casual indifferance (i dont know why) i am so afraid now that it may come back and i wont survive and I know that this is stupid

To put your mind at rest, I haven't no idea how much they cost, but you could always have a private scan in between the three years.

Living with Cancer 4 years 2 months ago #2126356

• lincolnshirelass
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
yes Chorderlite that is what i have decided to do although my GP has said that it was unnesesary.

Living with Cancer 4 years 2 months ago #2130087

• jon
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1153
  • Honor Medal 2010

lincolnshirelass wrote: yes Chorderlite that is what i have decided to do although my GP has said that it was unnesesary.

Just out of interest why did he say that ...

Living with Cancer 4 years 2 months ago #2130121

• lincolnshirelass
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Jon, in all honesty I did not really question her as to why . I am afraid that when i visit the GPs I become a bit intimidated and dont push my opinions very forcefully. but I think it maybe something to do with the radiation as mamograms are very simmilar to xrays.

Living with Cancer 4 years 1 month ago #2155640

• fernmeadow
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
My path is slightly different from anyone else here...my daughter is the one with cancer. She has metastasized breast cancer. After a double mastectomy a year ago the cancer spread through her blood into her lungs and bones. We know we are on gifted time and I am care giving as best I can. A mother's aching heart rallies when needed. The journey will not be over with her passing. Along with my own grief will come the grief of her 4 children, my grandchildren. Especially the youngest, her little 7 year old daughter. Yes, this is a subject that need to be talked about, whether you are the one with it or however it touches your life. it has shattered mine...and continues to daily...bless you all on your journey..xxx

Living with Cancer 4 years 1 month ago #2160614

• lincolnshirelass
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Fernmeadow, I have only just seen your post, you are so right this subject does need to be discussed more especially for the realatives friends and loved ones that are left to deal with the consequences of this terrible Disease. you have a very heavy burden on your shoulders and I really feel for you. and caring for your grandchildren in their Grief please dont loose sight of your own. please feel free to message me at anytime.

Living with Cancer 4 years 1 month ago #2169516

• Twink55
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
In 2011 I found a lump on my breast, but it wasn't breast cancer, it was small cell cancer which usually forms in the lungs. I had chemo, surgery and radio therapy and go back to the hospital for regular checks but, so far, everything has been clear. I was determined to beat this and my oncologist said he thought my positive attitude had helped, so if you are suffering please don't give up hope of recovery. Last year, an old school friend was treated for cancer and she told me that I was the only person she could talk to about it as I understood, having been through it myself. Sometimes your family are too emotionally involved and can offer little support because they are also worried, so if anyone needs to talk, feel free to send me a message. One day they will beat cancer for everybody!

Moderators: pascaloumike
Time to create page: 0.234 seconds