TOPIC: Living with Cancer

Living with Cancer 4 years 2 months ago #2115339

• mike
  • mike's Avatar Topic Author
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Well said received: 1418
  • Honor Medal 2010
I don't have enough experience with Cancer to be able to comment in here but wanted to start the topic going.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Mike
Site Admin
Head Buzzer !

We have an amazing over 50 senior friendship and dating service that is worth a try!
Mila and I did!

Living with Cancer 4 years 2 months ago #2115434

• MKJ
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Mike wrote: I don't have enough experience with Cancer to be able to comment in here but wanted to start the topic going.

Why have you started this topic going when you have no experience (or little)?

I for one would like to know because i have.

Last edit: by MKJ.

Living with Cancer 4 years 2 months ago #2115486

• MKJ
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
My own experience is harrowing. Diagnosis and end of just a couple of months. A lack of everything with regard to the doc and hospital - utter crap. Outcome - dead Mum before her time. Society isn't currently going the way it should with regard to humane consideration - capitalisation is still the driving force, but we just need to hang on because it is just a passing phase in my opinion (not sustainable). We will get to where we need to get eventually - I hope).

Living with Cancer 4 years 2 months ago #2115578

• candle_in_the_wind
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I have had cancer... when I was told I was shocked.Then I became very tearful and despairing It changed me, I realised how important the simple things in life are. I remember sitting in my garden... it was cold , I saw a few snowdrops and thought how precious life is... I had never truly looked at a Snowdrop and I realised how perfect it is,how delicate.
I actually listened to bird song, my children's laughter... I then wrote letters to my children and put them in a drawer. The letters told them of my love for them ,how proud of them I was ... I remember crying on each letter as I wrote it
Material things had no part in my life then, love took over... love of my children (which obviously had always been there) but a much deeper love .
I am very very grateful that I beat it but I have never forgotten the lessons it taught me .I hope it has made me a better person and I have never stopped looking " properly" at the beauty of my surroundings.

Living with Cancer 4 years 2 months ago #2115998

• Pats
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Well said received: 11413
  • Honor Medal 2010

MKJ wrote:

Mike wrote: I don't have enough experience with Cancer to be able to comment in here but wanted to start the topic going.

Why have you started this topic going when you have no experience (or little)?

I for one would like to know because i have.

Mike created the section for those who have and wish to share their experiences with others.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Retired NCIS Agent

Happy to help.

Living with Cancer 4 years 2 months ago #2116000

• Charry
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Its a good thread to start Mike, as some people need to talk about their experiences with cancer,..... Luckily, .......touch wood, ..........i havnt had it....but i know a few people in my family who have......, some have survived and some havnt, but like every illness, it causes upset and unhappiness......I just hope ,i get to see a compete cure, in my lifetime.............

Last edit: by Charry.

Living with Cancer 4 years 2 months ago #2116003

• Whimsy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
The first thing that went through my mind is what will happen to my children.

There were also thoughts such as-if I lose mt breasts will I still be desirable and wondering which was worse chemotherapy and always feeling nauseous and tired, radiation and feeling like you have been microwaved or the disease itself.

When there is a reoccurrence whether the same type or another area is affected, at least in my case I initially went through the "why me" syndrome. However, you get on with fighting the disease and learn to live and find joy in spite of it.

I never take happiness for granted anymore.

Living with Cancer 4 years 2 months ago #2116010

• Wingless
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I have had the mans version of it, Prostate cancer. When it was confirmed after tests, strange, I did not have any fear that it was the end for me.
It was explained of the options that were open for me, and I chose to have the prostate removed as that was were the cancer was and fortunately it had not spread to other parts.
That was 6 years ago and the PSA count was still 0.0 when I had a recent blood test and checkup.
There are after effects, but it don't worry me as with two children it had done its job. :)

Living with Cancer 4 years 2 months ago #2116011

• Pats
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Well said received: 11413
  • Honor Medal 2010

Charry wrote: Its a good thread to start Mike, as some people need to talk about their experiences with cancer.....

It is Charry.
And I think it will be a very rare person who's life hasn't been touched by cancer be it directly or indirectly.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Fleur-rose

Happy to help.

Living with Cancer 4 years 2 months ago #2116085

• MiniMum
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Fortunately I myself have not experienced cancer, but my Dad had Hodgkinsons and my d.in law had a double mastectomy some few years back!! The gene runs in her family!! She coped brilliantly and has regular check ups and of course her children will have to be checked as well.

Moderators: pascaloumike
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds