TOPIC: EU Summit Collapses

EU Summit Collapses 1 month 1 week ago #3407764

• Realist
  • Realist's Avatar Topic Author
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1505
  • Honor Medal 2010
We don’t need Britain to show disunity’: Franco-German split scuttles EU budget summit

In the wake of BrExit and the EU suddenly poised to be short of €75 Billion over the next 7 years, the larger member states of the EU are in turmoil about who is going to foot the deficit.

www.rt.com/news/481434-eu-budget-collapse-brexit/

"the remaining EU members have been unable to agree on a 2021-2027 budget, with differences between two rival blocs coalescing around France and Germany too big to overcome"

"France’s desire to preserve the Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) matched the demands for continued development aid by the EU’s less wealthy members, but ran into determined opposition by Germany and the “frugal quartet” of Denmark, Austria, Sweden and the Netherlands.

“Unfortunately, today… it was not possible to reach an agreement,” said Charles Michel, president of the European Council. “We need more time.”

Unable to reach a deal, the summit in Brussels fell apart on Friday evening, with no one knowing if and when the next one might take place."

Of course all of this was predictable a long time ago. The EU's pathetic poker stance of "BrExit will hurt the UK more than the EU" is shown to be the baseless charade that it is.

Also reported in the Grauniad:

www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/21/eu...ing-brexit-shortfall

"A summit of EU leaders seeking to fill a €75bn hole in the bloc’s budget left by Brexit dramatically collapsed after Angela Merkel led major contributors in rejecting a proposal that would have left them paying billions more."

"The 27 heads of state and government must agree on a budget for the next seven years, and the European parliament must give its endorsement, before the end of 2020, to avoid the EU’s spending programmes grinding to a halt. “We are super, super late,” admitted one EU official"

So a 75 billion Euro deficit, the member states that can afford to pay it refuse to do so and if they can't reach an agreement on it all soon everything grinds to a halt !!!!

Yes all is peachy and rosy in the EU dictatorship !

Looks like they have years of austerity ahead of them. That'll go down well I'm sure with the member states that have already been practically bankrupted by the EU. Looks like the cracks are beginning to form imho.

Is this the start of the collapse of the EU in real terms?

Gosh I wonder if the EU will come back to the UK negotiating table and play ball and offer us a great trade agreements? What do you think . . . . . ?

The following user(s) said Well Said: Topsy, SNFTONY

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Only dead fish swim with the flow
Last edit: by Realist.

EU Summit Collapses 1 month 1 week ago #3407829

• Eira
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 9887
  • Honor Medal 2010
No worries - they have the rest of the year to sort it out - plenty of time to reach an agreement, eh - smile.png

“In the past, it was always such. We needed two or three summits. I am hopeful to get a new breakthrough next time," said Austrian Chancellor Sebastian Kurz.
The following user(s) said Well Said: pascalou

Step by step, one goes a long way.

EU Summit Collapses 1 month 1 week ago #3407883

• Realist
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
Honestly I think you have to accept that this particular round of EU summit budget talks is nothing like the norm.

Where they might have previously had a bit of Del Boy bartering between themselves in the past the prospect that now faces them is little short of catastrophic.

We must be mindful that the UK was the 3rd largest contributor contributing as much as the 18 lowest member states altogether.

The prospect of having to magic up 75 billion Euros over the next 7 years is little short of a crisis the like of which they probably have never had to deal with before.

The impact to the main member states is significant.

Germany’s net contribution would rise from €16billion (£13.5billion) to €26billion (£22.8billlion) per year.

Netherlands from €4.5billion (£3.8billion) to €8billion (£6.7billion),

Austria would see its contributions double to €2billion (£1.7billion).

These are massive increases and the citizens of those member states are going to fuming if their Prime Ministers or equivalents concede to shoulder those burdens as it will mean significant austerity measures and many member states have already long since had their fill of the EU's austerity whilst members of the EP swan about in their limousines living the life of Riley !

As a result I think we can expect some feisty elections, some huge swings in political support and numerous calls for referendums to leave the EU.

Interesting times.

Pleasingly this should enable Boris to make significant demands of the EU in terms of any deal though I would still prefer we simply walk away first and then watch the EU dictators come crawling back with a begging bowl.

The following user(s) said Well Said: Topsy

EU Summit Collapses 1 month 1 week ago #3407925

• Eira
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 9887
  • Honor Medal 2010
Oh, I was just playing devil’s advocate, really.
Though it’s true that they rarely reach agreement first time round and I can remember years while we have been a member that the EU Budget talks have gone right to the wire and haven’t reached agreement until December, when the budget was due to expire.

Of course the financial net contribution from UK will be missed but the states within the EU will have to get on with it, just as UK will have to get on with our own plans.
There’s room in my heart to hope we do well and wish them all well too.
The following user(s) said Well Said: pascalou

Step by step, one goes a long way.

EU Summit Collapses 1 month 1 week ago #3407937

• Realist
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Eira wrote: There’s room in my heart to hope we do well and wish them all well too.

Less room in my own I'm afraid. I don't like to see people shackled and chained by dictatorships and I firmly believe all countries should be allowed to maintain their sovereign status, cultures, traditions and nationalities. The EU is a corrupt entity whose idealistic model was flawed from the outset and little more than a cover story for the establishment of a ruling political super-state.

I feel for all member states and simply hope in my own heart that they will find the courage to break free from the EU corruption before their positions are irreversible, if that is not already the case.

EU Summit Collapses 1 month 1 week ago #3408155

• Mykle
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1340
  • Honor Medal 2010

Realist wrote: Honestly I think you have to accept that this particular round of EU summit budget talks is nothing like the norm.

Where they might have previously had a bit of Del Boy bartering between themselves in the past the prospect that now faces them is little short of catastrophic.

We must be mindful that the UK was the 3rd largest contributor contributing as much as the 18 lowest member states altogether.

The prospect of having to magic up 75 billion Euros over the next 7 years is little short of a crisis the like of which they probably have never had to deal with before.

The impact to the main member states is significant.

Germany’s net contribution would rise from €16billion (£13.5billion) to €26billion (£22.8billlion) per year.

Netherlands from €4.5billion (£3.8billion) to €8billion (£6.7billion),

Austria would see its contributions double to €2billion (£1.7billion).

These are massive increases and the citizens of those member states are going to fuming if their Prime Ministers or equivalents concede to shoulder those burdens as it will mean significant austerity measures and many member states have already long since had their fill of the EU's austerity whilst members of the EP swan about in their limousines living the life of Riley !

As a result I think we can expect some feisty elections, some huge swings in political support and numerous calls for referendums to leave the EU.

Interesting times.

Pleasingly this should enable Boris to make significant demands of the EU in terms of any deal though I would still prefer we simply walk away first and then watch the EU dictators come crawling back with a begging bowl.

that would be a brave move, but it might work providing everyone in th U k involved stood together, that would also be a first
The following user(s) said Well Said: SNFTONY

EU Summit Collapses 1 month 1 week ago #3408236

• Realist
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Mykle wrote: that would be a brave move, but it might work providing everyone in th U k involved stood together, that would also be a first

It is unlikely to happen in all honesty because I personally don't actually believe Boris will properly deliver BrExit. He will imho be bought off by the EU and given wealth and honour if he sacrifices the UK and its people and concedes to EU demands. In short I still expect Boris to deliver BRINO not BrExit.

Time will tell.

There will never be any consensus in the UK because the UK is already split between the wealthy establishment and all its cronies at all levels of business (inc the important London Financial sector) and the poor working classes who will always be exploited by the former.

I would genuinely imagine that most people who are genuine Leavers would very much welcome a proper, definitive clean break from the EU dictatorship in the form of walking away without a deal, and then subsequently inviting the EU to the negotiating table where we would naturally have a massive upper hand.

Again, given the extent and depth of establishment infestation in this country at all levels, I don't expect Boris to have the balls to walk away. He will talk the game, but he will do something different.

BRINO will be the outcome at the end of the year.

When that happens, everything changes imho.

Best get prepared for it well in advance.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Mykle, SNFTONY

EU Summit Collapses 2 weeks 1 day ago #3425759

• kedro
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 4395
  • Honor Medal 2010
How awful that the EU can't all agree right away. Not like the UK, whose politicians always agree on the right thing to do and never argue about what the right thing is.
The following user(s) said Well Said: imosel, grahamg

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass ... it's about learning to dance in the rain!

EU Summit Collapses 1 week 6 days ago #3427428

• SNFTONY
  • New Buzzer
  • New Buzzer
  • Well said received: 14
  • Honor Medal 2010
strange seeing this i have allways said if GB leaves then i can see there being no eu at all in ten years not that we were so important i was thinking along the lines of some will see that we left and think if they can do it we can i must addmit that i didnt expect the eu to start breaking down so soon

EU Summit Collapses 1 week 18 hours ago #3430899

• man of kent
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 560
  • Honor Medal 2010
They should look for savings within Brussels -- like cutting out the yearly farce, to Strasbourg.

MAGPIE.-- the bird
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds