• Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1986
  • Honor Medal 2010

pascalou wrote:

wendeey wrote:

pascalou wrote:

wendeey wrote:

Aida wrote: It has little to do with being politically correct : more about attempting to heal the divisions in society brought about by Brexit.

And posting these sorts of posts are an attempt at healing divisions?

The press stirring up hatred of Europe again. This kind of press release will not help final negotiations.

Some of the press, and aided by xenophobes in fairness

How on earth will that press release effect the final negotiations. I presume the EU know that they sent that bill to the UK. And I presume the UK know they've received it, so what's it got to do with the negotiations.

And funny how it's so distressing to use the words leavers and remainers, but the word xenophobe aimed at Brexiteers isn't.

I certainly did not read this post as saying that brexiters were xenophobes :huh: but that the press articles were stirring up hatred with the help of some xenophobes. ( whatever parties they are).

No where did I read that all brexiters were xenophobes although It was clearly shown on TV post brexit vote that some were clearly assaulting migrants in the streets and underground, but I did read your post saying that remainers were xenophobes, which I must say I find very weird considering the number of people I know in the UK who voted remain and are married with Indians, Chinese ,Asian and Africans... Rather weird for xenophobes?:huh:

I think it is never good to have a us against them talk nor is it good to tar everyone with the same brush no matter whether they voted for remain or brexit originally , I do believe that due to Brexit fatigue , not to say exhaustion, everyone agreed to have Brexit done and get over with asap with or without a deal.

Read back over the sequence of where that post was made and you'll find it was aimed directly at me. You'll also see that poster has also picked me up on my use of the word 'yup' and now you'll see him using it and sometimes in capitals too.

I did and if I thought that it was personally directed at you it would have been deleted right away Wendeey so let's move along as we are not allowed to discuss moderation on thread.

I'm not discussing moderation. I know it was directed at me. As well as all the yup's that's been going on the thread for pages and pages now and as I say also in caps.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Brexit and beyond. 5 months 1 day ago #3393933

• wendeey
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Realist wrote:

wendeey wrote: Didn't watch that documentary, but did see him on Marr this morning and he seemed really impressed where Boris was going and fully supportive although he did say they were waiting in the wings in case things change.

It will probably be repeated. It was a documentary specifically about Farage himself and was basically inside filming of him and the BrExit Party over the past year as the horrendous establishment treachery unfolded.

He says quite clearly just after the election result that it is all now down to Boris to live up to the expectations of millions of people but it's not said with any kind of conviction.

Farage knows this isn't over and that the real fight is just beginning. Sure he's celebrating the event that just occurred, after all he is the man we all have to thank for enabling any BrExit at all. A little David amongst the Goliath of the UK corrupt establishment and the even bigger EU cesspit.

You need to reign back any celebratory tendencies imho because you are not going to get the BrExit you think you will. The establishment are simply not going to allow it. And remember, you don't get to vote for that establishment.
You only get to vote for the moronic puppets that act out the pantomime in the HoC.

Knuckle down imo and get ready for the bigger fight. BrEixt vs BRINO

As I said, I watched him this very morning and he sounded confident and supportive of what Boris is doing, but keeping the Brexit party in the wings just in case. Watch the Marr show on catch up if you don't believe me. It's right at the beginning of the show.

Brexit and beyond. 5 months 1 day ago #3393947

• Realist
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1745
  • Honor Medal 2010

wendeey wrote: As I said, I watched him this very morning and he sounded confident and supportive of what Boris is doing, but keeping the Brexit party in the wings just in case. Watch the Marr show on catch up if you don't believe me. It's right at the beginning of the show.

The following statements remain on the BrExit Party Website:

"The Prime Minister’s deal is not a proper Brexit. It is far removed from what 17.4m of us voted for in 2016. I can only suppose that pro-Brexit MPs backing the deal have not actually read the Withdrawal Agreement (WA) and the important Political Declaration (PD) that goes with it. These make up a new European Treaty that reheats 95 per cent of Theresa May’s deal."

It goes on to highlight the plethora of dire clauses in the proposed deal:

"Britain remains under EU rules but with no vote, no voice, no veto."
"EU judges can still override our laws"
"We won’t control our fishing."
"We still won’t be free to trade as we see fit."
"We won’t have control of our tax or state aid policies"
"Britain can’t pursue an independent foreign policy"
"Britain can’t pursue an independent defence policy"
"The United Kingdom will be divided."
"We pay the EU billions and get nothing in return."
"And we’ll be trapped by the Political Declaration."

www.thebrexitparty.org/read-this/#compare
Only dead fish swim with the flow

Brexit and beyond. 5 months 1 day ago #3393964

• grahamg
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1300
  • Honor Medal 2010

wendeey wrote:

grahamg wrote:

wendeey wrote:

grahamg wrote:

Aida wrote:
Break
I dislike the childish habit of digging up old posts in order to prove a point. To be clear, I did not write the bit saying "aided by xenophobes" someone else did.

"Yup", and "Nope" ........I did M'Lord, whilst defending the press a little or attempting to deflect some of he criticism of the press.

Here is a section relevant in order to identify the culprit, (and please note where someone thinks all the blame lies in relation to xenophobia):

Grahamg wrote:
"Some of the press, and aided by xenophobes in fairness." :dry: .

Weendey wrote:
"Unlike the xenophobes who prioritise Europe above the rest of the world, such as countries like Africa and India you mean?"

Grahamg wrote:
"Is that an admission that friends of Brexit contain xenophobes (sorry I dont quite follow you?)?" :dry: .

Weendey wrote:
"Nope I'm saying that the remainers are xenophobes"

Weendey wrote 2:
And this was my 'full' answer:

Weendey wrote 1.:
Nope I'm saying that the remainers are xenophobes.

This doesn't change what you said about "Remainers ("Nope" it "Dopen't"), quote:
"Brexiteers want to include the whole world equally. Remainers want to prioritise the white countries of the EU. And now the Brexit Party have left there will be even less people of colour MEPS."

And here i why, KayyGee wrote:
"My understanding was that xenophobia was a unfounded fear of foreigners, all foreigners, but now I learn that those that are happy to embrace an entire continent of "foreigners", are in fact xenophobes, while those that wanted to get as far away from them as possible are not, it has me confused. Now we're talking xenophobia not racism, though in some eyes they are one and the same but with subtle differences.

Seems this redefinition came about through a falsely stated premise that these newly defined xenophobes don't see trade with Africa as desirable though no evidence for this view was displayed. Being afraid of foreigners is not the same as prioritising trade negotiations."

Weendey wrote:
Yup and ignored his post, for good reason, now read the posts at the top of this page.

"Nope" I still cant understand you (it must be me, "it can't possibly be you"?)? :unsure: .

Brexit and beyond. 5 months 1 day ago #3393967

• Pascalou
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Well said received: 3265
  • Honor Medal 2010

Realist wrote:

All these are basically all the same very reasons stated by remainers for refusing to leave the EU 3 years ago, they did warn of that but no one believed it...It seems some had foresight after all and were right.
Smile to life and life will smile back at you.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Yo, Aida, grahamg

Last edit: by Pascalou.

Brexit and beyond. 5 months 1 day ago #3393968

• wendeey
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Realist wrote:

wendeey wrote: As I said, I watched him this very morning and he sounded confident and supportive of what Boris is doing, but keeping the Brexit party in the wings just in case. Watch the Marr show on catch up if you don't believe me. It's right at the beginning of the show.

The following statements remain on the BrExit Party Website:

"The Prime Minister’s deal is not a proper Brexit. It is far removed from what 17.4m of us voted for in 2016. I can only suppose that pro-Brexit MPs backing the deal have not actually read the Withdrawal Agreement (WA) and the important Political Declaration (PD) that goes with it. These make up a new European Treaty that reheats 95 per cent of Theresa May’s deal."

It goes on to highlight the plethora of dire clauses in the proposed deal:

As I've said go and watch Marr from this morning. It will only take 10 mins if that.

Brexit and beyond. 5 months 1 day ago #3394053

• wendeey
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
Obtained from: www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7957023...iefs-never-that.html

Finally, after 47 years (much longer than my own lifetime), we are out of the EU. There were no live Big Ben bongs. No grand international photocalls at an Olympic Games-style closing ceremony.

Just two people signing a piece of paper in Brussels, and Boris Johnson, flanked by a pair of tall Union Jacks, later scribbling his name on the same document in Westminster.

As church bells across the country struck 11pm on Friday, we left. Now we are a free nation.

Not surprisingly, many of the reasons that led a majority to vote Leave have crystallised during the past week.

Number one for anyone I met while canvassing over the past four years has always been the precious principle of sovereignty.

How sad that those still banging the Remain (now Rejoin) drum have never understood what this means.

True, sovereignty is an abstract concept but it's at the core of a nation's soul. To some extent, it means different things to different people.

It can be big issues, such as striking independent trade deals with other countries, or simply not having all those little irritations, such as being unable to buy fruit and veg in imperial measures.

Such viscerally important concerns have always been disregarded by Remainers, who grimly tell us we are stupid, racist little Englanders who didn't understand the benefits of EU membership – benefits they failed utterly to explain. How typical that last week, as Britain finally left, Guy Verhofstadt MEP, the former prime minister of Belgium, made it abundantly obvious that in his view – one widely shared in Brussels – the sovereignty of a nation state is a bad thing.

He, like all those other arch-integrationists and most of my former MEP colleagues, failed to see Brexit as a siren wake-up call that power needs devolving from unelected bureaucrats to the people. Risibly, to them, the problem is that the European Union is not centralised enough.

In defiance of democracy, Verhofstadt had the gall to suggest the destination of the 'European project' means the nation state is obsolete and 'the world order of tomorrow… is a world order based on empire'. (And there was me thinking that, in today's world, empires, imperialism and colonial power were considered morally wicked.)

At least Verhofstadt had the decency to admit: 'It is sad to see a country leaving that twice liberated us, [that has] twice given its blood to liberate Europe.' But what is democracy unless it comes from the people and is government for the people?

Most distressingly, there are signs elsewhere across Europe of the weakening of democracy.

In the cradle of democracy, Greece, the country's proud citizens have become pawns in a game of geo-political chess, with their economy destroyed by a Brussels-imposed currency project.

Noble Poles did not escape the suffocating restrictions imposed on them by Moscow to be trampled on by another remote and unrepresentative politburo-style body.

And the French, with their long and distinguished history, are fighting to stop being subsumed by a foreign technocracy.

All of these independent peoples want co-operation with their neighbouring states – but not to be run by a supranational government. All want peace across the European continent. But they also want to be able to control the direction of their own countries in their own way, reflecting their own needs.

This is sovereignty. This is what the British people called for in 2016 and have now gloriously achieved.

It is a lesson the remaining 27 EU countries would be wise to heed.

It is also a lesson for us in Britain. Nations are made up of individuals. They are not an amorphous blob. No country, state or empire survives ignoring the individuals upon whose shoulders it rests. Politicians forget this at their peril.
The following user(s) said Well Said: bryoney, Jane R

Brexit and beyond. 5 months 1 day ago #3394110

• wendeey
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
Obtained from: uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu/sov...-talks-idUKKBN1ZW0I2

Britain laid out a tough opening stance for future talks with the European Union on Sunday, saying it would set its own agenda rather than meeting the bloc’s rules to ensure frictionless trade.

After officially leaving the EU on Friday, Britain now must negotiate future trade relations with the bloc, to take effect when a standstill transition period expires at the end of the year.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s government has been quick to send Brussels a message before trade talks begin in March: Brexit, for him, means sovereignty trumps the economy.

The EU has repeatedly told Britain the level of access to its lucrative single market will depend on how far London agrees to adhere to a “level playing field” — shorthand for rules on environmental standards, labour regulations and state aid.

But despite the appeals of many businesses for the government to ensure goods can trade across borders freely, ministers have been briefing companies that they should adjust to a new future when Britain will not adhere to EU rules.

Johnson, according to sources close to him, has taken last year’s election, which handed him a large majority in parliament, as approval for his policy of putting Britain’s right to set its own rules above the demands of businesses. He will outline that approach in a speech on Monday.

“We are taking back control of our laws, so we are not going to have high alignment with the EU, legislative alignment with their rules,” foreign minister Dominic Raab told Sky News. “But we’ll want to cooperate and we expect the EU to follow through on their commitment to a Canada-style free trade agreement.”

After more than three years of often tortuous talks, Johnson wants to draw a line under what has been an angry debate that has deepened divides across the country. His aim is a trade deal allowing for tariff- and quota-free trade in goods, similar to the terms the bloc now has in place with Canada.

Asked whether the government expected businesses to have to prepare for new checks on goods at the border, Raab said: “The agreement that we made with the EU was to avoid all of that, and I am sure they will want to live up to the undertakings they have made just as we’d expect to do the same.”

Late on Saturday, a government source said if the EU would not offer a Canada-style trade deal, London would instead pursue a looser trade agreement, similar to the bloc’s ties with Australia.

“There are only two likely outcomes in negotiation - a free trade deal like Canada or a looser arrangement like Australia - and we are happy to pursue both,” the source said.

The EU says it will not seal a trade deal with a large, economically powerful neighbour without solid provisions to guarantee fair competition. Some European leaders fear Johnson could try to undercut EU businesses by loosening regulatory standards, something he has promised not to do.

“If Great Britain wants to establish outside the European Union a sort of ‘Singapore-on-Thames’, we would be against it,” French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said in a joint interview with broadcasters LCI and RTL and Le Figaro newspaper.

Irish Prime Minister Leo Varadkar also called on the British government not to set strict red lines, saying this could make an already difficult negotiation even harder.

“One thing I’d say to everyone is let’s not repeat some of the errors that were made in the past two-and-a-half years,” Varadkar told the BBC. “Let’s not set such rigid red lines that makes it hard to come to an agreement and let’s tone down the nationalistic rhetoric.”

Brexit and beyond. 5 months 1 day ago #3394113

• grahamg
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1300
  • Honor Medal 2010

knighten wrote:
France the most racist country in the EU a big example of white imperialism meddling in Africa controlling governments to suit their needs enslaving black people. The EU has stood by benefited and said nothing. France controls currency in many African States and has first call on resources restricting growth of African Countries.Fourteen countries pay a colonial tax to France estimated to be 500 billion dollars a year.In the Ivory Coast French troops killed black people because they demonstrated against French involvement in overthrowing their government.The EU said nothing just happy to take the money from poor black people to feed their fat faces.The EU is a racist colonialist regime

My brother and his family have lived in France for twenty years now, and been shown nothing but hospitality and a warm welcome, from people prepared to give his children a lot of attention.

Madame and her husband Jacques, who ran the farm until she became unwell, (and their sons had taken over other farms), asked every one of my brothers five children whether they were happy to be in France when they arrived, and all said yes. Then Madame wanted to give them all a kiss, and Joe, one of the middle boys tried to avoid it but didn't manage to do so.

Dont sound such bad people when you get to know them perhaps, but my own father used to have a negative view until aged ninety her took his first trip over.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Aida

Brexit and beyond. 5 months 1 day ago #3394121

• wendeey
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

grahamg wrote:

knighten wrote:
France the most racist country in the EU a big example of white imperialism meddling in Africa controlling governments to suit their needs enslaving black people. The EU has stood by benefited and said nothing. France controls currency in many African States and has first call on resources restricting growth of African Countries.Fourteen countries pay a colonial tax to France estimated to be 500 billion dollars a year.In the Ivory Coast French troops killed black people because they demonstrated against French involvement in overthrowing their government.The EU said nothing just happy to take the money from poor black people to feed their fat faces.The EU is a racist colonialist regime

My brother and his family have lived in France for twenty years now, and been shown nothing but hospitality and a warm welcome, from people prepared to give his children a lot of attention.

Madame and her husband Jacques, who ran the farm until she became unwell, (and their sons had taken over other farms), asked every one of my brothers five children whether they were happy to be in France when they arrived, and all said yes. Then Madame wanted to give them all a kiss, and Joe, one of the middle boys tried to avoid it but didn't manage to do so.

Dont sound such bad people when you get to know them perhaps, but my own father used to have a negative view until aged ninety her took his first trip over.

Who said anything about the French people, the post was talking about the French government and the EU. There's a big difference.

Thought it was meant to be the Brexiteers who didn't know what they were voting for.

No wonder you can't get the gist that Brexiteers aren't racists, but the EU (not Europeans) are.
The following user(s) said Well Said: bryoney, Jane R

Time to create page: 1.607 seconds