TOPIC: Brexit and beyond.

Brexit and beyond. 3 weeks 4 days ago #3394710

• grahamg
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1984
  • Honor Medal 2010

wendeey wrote:

Eira wrote: Political journalists have boycotted a briefing at No 10 Downing Street after one of Boris Johnson’s aides banned selected reporters from attending.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/03...g-after-reporter-ban

I saw that and thought, oh, it's the press commenting on the press again lol

The Guardian were invited so can't see it being much of a problem for the press. This was Civil Servants who were going to be interviewed so would be an impartial interview. Think the press have shot themselves in the foot on this one.

Iain Dale has said that all past PM's have done this, going right back to Margaret Thatcher, Tony Blair, David Cameron and Theresa May also did it.

Here are some more details from the Guardian article showing notable journalists disagreeing with you (and Iain Dale):

"Political journalists boycotted a Downing Street briefing on Monday after one of Boris Johnson’s aides banned selected reporters from attending.

The confrontation took place inside No 10 after Lee Cain, Johnson’s most senior communications adviser, tried to exclude reporters from the Mirror, the i, HuffPost, PoliticsHome, the Independent and others from an official government briefing.

At a time of escalating tensions between Downing Street and the media, Labour accused Johnson of deploying Donald Trump-like tactics to avoid scrutiny.

The incident happened in the foyer of No 10 when journalists on the invited list were asked to stand on one side of a rug, while those not allowed in were asked by security to stand on the other side.

When Cain told the banned journalists to leave, the rest of the journalists decided to walk out collectively rather than allow Downing Street to choose who scrutinises and reports on the government.

Among those who refused the briefing on the UK’s trade negotiations with the EU were the BBC’s Laura Kuenssberg, ITV’s Robert Peston, and political journalists from Sky News, the Daily Mail, the Telegraph, the Sun, the Financial Times and the Guardian."

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Brexit and beyond. 3 weeks 4 days ago #3394737

• psmiddx
  • New Buzzer
  • New Buzzer
  • Well said received: 6
That's the people, grahamg, not the Government. Much like this nasty tone from some remainers that "we hate foreigners/Europeans" - we don't, we Brexiteers hate the regime, or the EU superstate that was imposed on us... not the Europeans.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Polliyana, wendeey

Brexit and beyond. 3 weeks 4 days ago #3394759

• grahamg
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1984
  • Honor Medal 2010

psmiddx wrote:
That's the people, grahamg, not the Government. Much like this nasty tone from some remainers that "we hate foreigners/Europeans" - we don't, we Brexiteers hate the regime, or the EU superstate that was imposed on us... not the Europeans.

Do you think you can speak for "we Brexiteers", any more than I can speak for "some Remainers"?

I can speak for myself, and maybe my views coincide with some others who voted to Remain, but I haven't the slightest chance, or inclination to pretend I can speak for "we Remainers".

All I've asserted is that there are xenophobes amongst those who voted to leave the EU, just as David Cameron asserted back in 2006, was true of some of those UKIP members arguing to leave the EU back then, before he became prime minister. I know this is true first hand, and I believe it is a rabid tendency our country should be aware exists, though not present in such numbers to scare us all, and I dont think I'm using a nasty tone in saying it. :unsure: .
The following user(s) said Well Said: Yo, Taner

Brexit and beyond. 3 weeks 3 days ago #3394908

• wendeey
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2605
  • Honor Medal 2010

grahamg wrote:

wendeey wrote:

Eira wrote: Political journalists have boycotted a briefing at No 10 Downing Street after one of Boris Johnson’s aides banned selected reporters from attending.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/03...g-after-reporter-ban

I saw that and thought, oh, it's the press commenting on the press again lol

The Guardian were invited so can't see it being much of a problem for the press. This was Civil Servants who were going to be interviewed so would be an impartial interview. Think the press have shot themselves in the foot on this one.

Iain Dale has said that all past PM's have done this, going right back to Margaret Thatcher, Tony Blair, David Cameron and Theresa May also did it.

Here are some more details from the Guardian article showing notable journalists disagreeing with you (and Iain Dale):

"Political journalists boycotted a Downing Street briefing on Monday after one of Boris Johnson’s aides banned selected reporters from attending.

The confrontation took place inside No 10 after Lee Cain, Johnson’s most senior communications adviser, tried to exclude reporters from the Mirror, the i, HuffPost, PoliticsHome, the Independent and others from an official government briefing.

At a time of escalating tensions between Downing Street and the media, Labour accused Johnson of deploying Donald Trump-like tactics to avoid scrutiny.

The incident happened in the foyer of No 10 when journalists on the invited list were asked to stand on one side of a rug, while those not allowed in were asked by security to stand on the other side.

When Cain told the banned journalists to leave, the rest of the journalists decided to walk out collectively rather than allow Downing Street to choose who scrutinises and reports on the government.

Among those who refused the briefing on the UK’s trade negotiations with the EU were the BBC’s Laura Kuenssberg, ITV’s Robert Peston, and political journalists from Sky News, the Daily Mail, the Telegraph, the Sun, the Financial Times and the Guardian."

And how's that supposed to be proving that it's disagreeing with me and Iain Dale, (and by the way it was Iain Dale who said it not me) Nowhere in there does it say it hasn't happened before.

Brexit and beyond. 3 weeks 3 days ago #3394910

• wendeey
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

grahamg wrote:

psmiddx wrote:

Do you think you can speak for "we Brexiteers", any more than I can speak for "some Remainers"?

I can speak for myself, and maybe my views coincide with some others who voted to Remain, but I haven't the slightest chance, or inclination to pretend I can speak for "we Remainers".

All I've asserted is that there are xenophobes amongst those who voted to leave the EU, just as David Cameron asserted back in 2006, was true of some of those UKIP members arguing to leave the EU back then, before he became prime minister. I know this is true first hand, and I believe it is a rabid tendency our country should be aware exists, though not present in such numbers to scare us all, and I dont think I'm using a nasty tone in saying it. :unsure: .

If you notice Brexiteers left UKIP in their droves. Nigel Farage left because is was being infiltrated by racists/xenophes. Yes, I would say that those who voted UKIP in the general election probably were xenophobes/racists.

Conservatives 13,966,451 votes
Brexit Party 644,257 votes
UKIP 22,817 votes

I'd say that 22,817 people weren't even worth mentioning, so don't know why you keep going on about it.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Jane R

Brexit and beyond. 3 weeks 3 days ago #3394919

• NewTricks
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2331
  • Honor Medal 2010
www.itv.com/news/anglia/2020-02-03/every...r-brexit-day-poster/

So no racist zenophobes in the Brexit ranks then???
The following user(s) said Well Said: Yo, Taner

Better to be thought a fool........
than to open your mouth and prove it!

Brexit and beyond. 3 weeks 3 days ago #3394923

• Realist
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1276
  • Honor Medal 2010

wendeey wrote: I'd say that 22,817 people weren't even worth mentioning, so don't know why you keep going on about it.

I wholeheartedly agree.

This tired old meme of trying to label BrExiteers as xenophobes and racists is pathetic in the extreme and has long since run its course. It's pure desperation on behalf of those people who persist in trying to maintain that sham label.

There are xenophobes on all sides of the fence quite regardless of any referendum and always will be. Some people are genuinely frightened of certain foreigners and always will be. Has nothing remotely to do with the referendum and the EU. But as I say, some Remainers are still bitterly frustrated in both losing the referendum and subsequently failing to thwart BrExit over a 3 year period that they still try to peddle these misleading and utterly false labels.

As the previous poster very rightly highlighted. BrExiteers are opposed and sick of the EU regime, it's cesspit of corruption and increasing Orwellian progression to a political superstate and they want no part of it. We hate the EU. At the same time we love Europe and Europeans. We love the people, the diversity of cultures and traditions and rich tapestry of histories and of course we love the food !

It's high time sad and bitter Remainers hung up their boots and accepted both the referendum result and the more recent election result and got their minds straight about their own country and their place within it. They need to understand the value of democracy verses dictatorship and support the democratic process of the country.

Dredging up tired old memes and labels is now simply a sign of poor taste, bitterness and an unwillingness to accept what has happened and move on.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Polliyana, wendeey, Jane R, Popeye

Only dead fish swim with the flow

Brexit and beyond. 3 weeks 3 days ago #3394925

• NewTricks
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Realist wrote:

wendeey wrote: I'd say that 22,817 people weren't even worth mentioning, so don't know why you keep going on about it.

I wholeheartedly agree.

This tired old meme of trying to label BrExiteers as xenophobes and racists is pathetic in the extreme and has long since run its course. It's pure desperation on behalf of those people who persist in trying to maintain that sham label.

There are xenophobes on all sides of the fence quite regardless of any referendum and always will be. Some people are genuinely frightened of certain foreigners and always will be. Has nothing remotely to do with the referendum and the EU. But as I say, some Remainers are still bitterly frustrated in both losing the referendum and subsequently failing to thwart BrExit over a 3 year period that they still try to peddle these misleading and utterly false labels.

As the previous poster very rightly highlighted. BrExiteers are opposed and sick of the EU regime, it's cesspit of corruption and increasing Orwellian progression to a political superstate and they want no part of it. We hate the EU. At the same time we love Europe and Europeans. We love the people, the diversity of cultures and traditions and rich tapestry of histories and of course we love the food !

It's high time sad and bitter Remainers hung up their boots and accepted both the referendum result and the more recent election result and got their minds straight about their own country and their place within it. They need to understand the value of democracy verses dictatorship and support the democratic process of the country.

Dredging up tired old memes and labels is now simply a sign of poor taste, bitterness and an unwillingness to accept what has happened and move on.

You need to make your mind up.......do we have a democratic process or is it all run by faceless Europhiles behind the scenes?

It's also pretty clear that there are a significant number of those who voted for Brexit, who did so because of their distrust / hatred for all things foreign. Just read the link above.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Aida

Brexit and beyond. 3 weeks 3 days ago #3394926

• wendeey
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

NewTricks wrote: www.itv.com/news/anglia/2020-02-03/every...r-brexit-day-poster/

And where does it say which way that person/people voted.

If it was all about racists, xenophobes, I'd say Mrs May would have got more support as she thought the main reason for wanting to leave was due to Freedom of Movement, which is clear now, it's definitely not.

And as I keep saying, we want to include the whole world, where the EU prioritises just the white EU countries. I'd listen to Boris's speech yesterday if I was you, then you might get an understanding of what it's about.

Brexit and beyond. 3 weeks 3 days ago #3394962

• NewTricks
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

wendeey wrote:

NewTricks wrote: www.itv.com/news/anglia/2020-02-03/every...r-brexit-day-poster/

And where does it say which way that person/people voted.

If it was all about racists, xenophobes, I'd say Mrs May would have got more support as she thought the main reason for wanting to leave was due to Freedom of Movement, which is clear now, it's definitely not.

And as I keep saying, we want to include the whole world, where the EU prioritises just the white EU countries. I'd listen to Boris's speech yesterday if I was you, then you might get an understanding of what it's about.

Which way did they vote :laugh: take a wild guess.

The EU doesn't prioritise 'white' countries, they are hardly white in any case, it works for the benefit of the member states as you would expect.

I did listen to Boris yesterday....more than some Journalists were able to I believe?

Time to create page: 2.341 seconds