Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Started just before Christmas 2014 as part of Buzz50's Banish Loneliness Campaign for Seniors over 50. Still going strong in 2017!
This category is for talk about loneliness and how to tackle it. Can you can help in our campaign?

TOPIC: Why do we feel alone?

Why do we feel alone? 2 months 3 weeks ago #3282979

• Rose57
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1625
  • Honor Medal 2010
There was a time I felt Loneliness as equivalent to be a victim trapped in lifetime prison sentence with no chance of parole. Today I have tools to combat loneliness. It’s didn’t happen overnight, but continues to be a journey realizing Im responsible for my own happiness. A journey learning to unconditionally accept myself including all my faults, quirks imperfections can begin to unlocking the emptiness of being alone, aka the key to learning self love.

Part of that journey is like spring clean up getting rid of junk making space for this new way of interpreting life. That cleaning process was learning not only to recognize self defeating, self sabotaging behaviors but breaking the cycle was like breaking a bad habit. Lots of self encouragement, self forgiveness and self compassion. Below is the tool I use to recognize when I need a little remodeling, lol

When I find myself in a rut, I’m reminded of the analogy of “The hole in the sidewalk”

CHAPTER ONE
I walk down the street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I fall in.
I am lost …. I am helpless.
It isn’t my fault.
It takes forever to find a way out.

CHAPTER TWO
I walk down the street.
I pretend that I don’t see it.
I fall in again.
I can’t believe I am in this same place.
But, it isn’t my fault.
It still takes a long time to get out.

CHAPTER THREE
I walk down the same street.
I see it is there.
I still fall in … it’s a habit … but, my eyes are open.
I know where I am.
It is my fault.
I get out immediately.

CHAPTER FOUR
I walk down the same street.
I walk around it

CHAPTER FIVE
I walk down another street.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Bellringer

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always. – Robin Williams
Last edit: by Rose57.

Why do we feel alone? 2 months 3 weeks ago #3282992

• Rips
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 5772
  • Honor Medal 2010
We feel alone because we are alone .. that’s why making the most of life ,family and friends is important.
If you allow yourself to sit waiting for that knock on the door you will be lonely
It must be very difficult if you’re home bound .
The following user(s) said Well Said: Rose57

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: pascaloumike
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds