Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Started just before Christmas 2014 as part of Buzz50's Banish Loneliness Campaign for Seniors over 50. Still going strong in 2017!
This category is for talk about loneliness and how to tackle it. Can you can help in our campaign?

TOPIC: Widowhood and loneliness

Widowhood and loneliness 4 months 4 weeks ago #3258685

• snowgoose
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 365
  • Honor Medal 2010
the biggest problem in my area is MOST seniors M/F are ASIAN who DO NOT or WANT NOT to speak ENGLISH, so I have limited selection.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Widowhood and loneliness 4 months 4 weeks ago #3258762

• Rose57
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1604
  • Honor Medal 2010

snowgoose wrote: the biggest problem in my area is MOST seniors M/F are ASIAN who DO NOT or WANT NOT to speak ENGLISH, so I have limited selection.

I can relate I live in a small town that used to be mostly Caucasian many which were elderly but over the last 20 years it’s now mostly Hispanics families theyre nice but communication has been challenging at times.

Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always. – Robin Williams

Widowhood and loneliness 2 months 3 weeks ago #3301976

• Kosiecat2
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Well said received: 8
I am a widow, too. I lost my husband of 36 years to colon cancer. He suffered a long time. A lot of it he hid from me until he couldn’t hide it anymore. I became his full time care giver the last year. It’s so heart breaking to watch the strongest person you’ve ever known become sick and you can’t fix it. My friends don’t understand. They think I should be over it now. Of course, they still have their family in tact. In four short years, I lost my mom, sister, husband and father. All to cancer. The loneliness every single day is the worst part after grief.

My cousin suggested I go to church with her. Well... all the widows sit in one long row. No thank you! It looked like a row of shame.

Anyway. I’m glad I found this forum. New friends and someone to chat with in the middle of the night sounds wonderful.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Sweetness56, Rose57, Nightowl

Widowhood and loneliness 2 months 3 weeks ago #3301984

• Rose57
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1604
  • Honor Medal 2010

Kosiecat2 wrote: I am a widow, too. I lost my husband of 36 years to colon cancer. He suffered a long time. A lot of it he hid from me until he couldn’t hide it anymore. I became his full time care giver the last year. It’s so heart breaking to watch the strongest person you’ve ever known become sick and you can’t fix it. My friends don’t understand. They think I should be over it now. Of course, they still have their family in tact. In four short years, I lost my mom, sister, husband and father. All to cancer. The loneliness every single day is the worst part after grief.

My cousin suggested I go to church with her. Well... all the widows sit in one long row. No thank you! It looked like a row of shame.

Anyway. I’m glad I found this forum. New friends and someone to chat with in the middle of the night sounds wonderful.

Again Welcome Kosiecat,
So sorry for your loss, I also was my late husbands care giver, he passed from pulmonary fibrosis a long slow death.
That was 9 yrs ago, For several years I bounced back and forth in the grieving process. Ive slowly adjusted, have even come to enjoy my solitude develop new interests & hobbies. Feel free to message me anytime.
Rose57
The following user(s) said Well Said: Sweetness56, Kosiecat2, Nightowl

Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always. – Robin Williams

Widowhood and loneliness 2 months 3 weeks ago #3302031

• Kosiecat2
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Well said received: 8
Thank you for your kind words. I’m sorry for your loss, too. The adjustment process is really slow. Sometimes I wonder if I will ever get my life under control again. I hope we can chat in the future. It would be nice to talk to someone that ‘gets it.’
The following user(s) said Well Said: Rose57

Widowhood and loneliness 2 months 3 weeks ago #3302115

• JUJO
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2975
  • Honor Medal 2010

Kosiecat2 wrote: I am a widow, too. I lost my husband of 36 years to colon cancer. He suffered a long time. A lot of it he hid from me until he couldn’t hide it anymore. I became his full time care giver the last year. It’s so heart breaking to watch the strongest person you’ve ever known become sick and you can’t fix it. My friends don’t understand. They think I should be over it now. Of course, they still have their family in tact. In four short years, I lost my mom, sister, husband and father. All to cancer. The loneliness every single day is the worst part after grief.

Kosiecat2,
Deeply sorry to hear about your losses,
Everyone grieves different,There is no right or wrong way,no time limit whatsoever,you just go at your own pace.

The following user(s) said Well Said: Kosiecat2

No home is complete without the pitter patter of kitty feet.

Widowhood and loneliness 2 weeks 3 days ago #3340103

• Nightowl
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 65
I'm sorry for your loss. I sincerely hope that you find good friends to fill the void.

Widowhood and loneliness 2 weeks 2 days ago #3340236

• RichardA
  • Away
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 371

Noelle1965 wrote: As a new widow I am getting acquainted with feeling lonely but am determined not to let that be where I stay. I was the full time carer for my husband of 11 years who had metastatic gall bladder cancer. He was diagnosed initially in July of last year with metastasis found in February and I lost him earlier this month. If you are also one who has experienced this kind of loss feel free to message me. Listening to others and have them listen to you can make you feel less lonely and more connected to others. Noelle

I fully empathise with you Noelle......My wife passed away 3 months ago due to metastasis. It was quite sudden and unexpected. She was a popular 'buzzer' and very much missed by many beside myself. It hasn't been easy and to be honest still isn't. Friends on here have been brilliant and much appreciated by myself. I have family close by luckily but even so it's lonely.I don't doubt things will get better, so they tell me anyway but for the moment it's not. My "solution" is to keep busy......sounds pretty obvious but it seems to work....coming back on Buzz gives me plenty to think about and a good distraction.
Peace and Sunshine.....RichardA
The following user(s) said Well Said: Sharkey

Last edit: by RichardA.

Widowhood and loneliness 2 weeks 2 days ago #3340352

• Keeper
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2288
  • Honor Medal 2010
Widows and widowers are living through my worst nightmare.....thank God my beloved hubby is still with me....but my heart goes out to you when I read your posts..........so......to brighten your day for you all.............smile.png smile.png

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Well Said: pascalou, Sharkey, Isa49

Moderators: pascaloumike
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds