Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Started just before Christmas 2014 as part of Buzz50's Banish Loneliness Campaign for Seniors over 50. Still going strong in 2017!
This category is for talk about loneliness and how to tackle it. Can you can help in our campaign?

TOPIC: Loneliness can seriously affect your health - Buzz50 can help

Loneliness can seriously affect your health - Buzz50 can help 1 year 2 months ago #2839922

• susiesuze
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 28
  • Honor Medal 2010
iam trying hard, thank you, sometimes i don't want to go out the door, i force myself, but it's hard
The following user(s) said Well Said: dave2608

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Loneliness can seriously affect your health - Buzz50 can help 1 year 1 month ago #2846857

• dave2608
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 22
  • Honor Medal 2010
i lost mypartner 5 years ago it is so hard i miss her so much , i have no family to turn too to talk too , i am not really coping with it just aimlessly traveling through life , trying to put a brave face on , waiting for the day we will be together again

Loneliness can seriously affect your health - Buzz50 can help 10 months 1 week ago #2916221

• TopKitten
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 375
  • Honor Medal 2010
Most of the disabled find it very difficult to deal with loneliness. Usually due to mobility or communication issues but sometimes simply because people don't understand.

Isolation usually kicks it of as so many of us are advised to isolate ourselves by the medical professions. Depression, anxiety, panic attacks and agoraphobia (not a fear of open spaces) are the most common problems. All are difficult to overcome and get progressively worse the longer the isolation lasts. Carers are fine but often get changed or switched about and hardly ever do you get regular carers on the same days every week. They seem to get messed about more than any other work profession I have encountered. It isn't the same as friends or family though.

TK
The following user(s) said Well Said: frazzled2, blonde lady

"Can you ask a star not to shine no more" by Il Nino

TK

Loneliness can seriously affect your health - Buzz50 can help 10 months 1 week ago #2916330

• Pats
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Well said received: 12171
  • Honor Medal 2010

TopKitten wrote: Isolation usually kicks it of as so many of us are advised to isolate ourselves by the medical professions..

The facts are quite the opposite...I cannot imagine any medical professional 'advising' anyone to isolate themselves.:unsure:
The following user(s) said Well Said: Tachyon, JUJO, TheCute1

Happy to help.

Loneliness can seriously affect your health - Buzz50 can help 2 weeks 2 days ago #3118081

• JUJO
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 6255
People can always come onto buzz,and even if their friends are not on buzz.they can browse,and enjoy buzz.

Do I believe in love at first sight?
Absolutely,
I fall in love with every cat I see.

Loneliness can seriously affect your health - Buzz50 can help 2 weeks 2 days ago #3118709

• weatherpoet
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 65
  • Honor Medal 2010
For many years I've felt alone. Whether at home or in a crowd, I always feel alone and I know this is because I feel I have no one to confide in who I feel truly understands what daily life is like for me and the things I miss.

However, I have made it my main goal in life to find ways to tackle loneliness and isolation and so I have joined charities who share my objectives. This has enable me to create walks and social activities that I know are helping disabled people and their carers to get out and about with others away from their four walls. It gives me a great deal of satisfaction even though my emptiness is always there.

I also find at this time of year that although I enjoy Christmas despite the extra stress, I also feel more sad because of the closeness I lack that others have. I fear though in my situation it s something I'll just have to always accept because anyone would be too afraid to want to help me.

I know others spend Christmas totally alone and at least I have company even though I do try to find another room for peace and quiet which of course increases my sense of loneliness.

Loneliness can seriously affect your health - Buzz50 can help 2 weeks 2 days ago #3118715

• pascalou
  • Well said received: 9940
  • Honor Medal 2010

weatherpoet wrote: For many years I've felt alone. Whether at home or in a crowd, I always feel alone and I know this is because I feel I have no one to confide in who I feel truly understands what daily life is like for me and the things I miss.

However, I have made it my main goal in life to find ways to tackle loneliness and isolation and so I have joined charities who share my objectives. This has enable me to create walks and social activities that I know are helping disabled people and their carers to get out and about with others away from their four walls. It gives me a great deal of satisfaction even though my emptiness is always there.

Well done weatherpoet , you are on the right track.;)

Smile to life and life will smile back at you.

Loneliness can seriously affect your health - Buzz50 can help 1 week 1 day ago #3124886

• weatherpoet
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
I've said I always feel alone and I know the way I'm treated at home makes me feel even more alone but sometimes I see something that reminds me I'm far from alone in feeling or being alone but that makes me feel very sad too because it makes me want to reach out to do something about it to help these people which in turn would also help me.

It is extremely difficult to make that first step because I think when you feel alone, you feel unimportant, that no one cares and it affects your self-esteem making you feel why bother, you'll only feel rejected and even more alone again.

However, the only way to overcome loneliness is to overcome that fear because it's only when you come into contact with others who feel the same that it makes you realise you are not alone and there are people out there who really do understand.

When I get very low, it seems to make me more determined to do more because life is too short to give up fighting for the things that would make me happy.

I find when I know I'm giving happiness to others who feel so low, it not only makes me feel less alone but it also makes me feel worth something that I'm actually making a difference to someone in need.

My problem is I simply don't have enough time for lots of penfriends which makes me feel a bit guilty but I would hardly get any sleep if I did because I'm left with everything to do at home like a single parent. I realise though if I don't keep reaching out, I might as well give up because there is no happiness in feeling alone all the time. I used to feel guilt about wanting some happiness for myself but not any more because I feel everyone deserves some happiness no matter what circumstances they find themselves in otherwise you can be just a slave to others who keep demanding more from you.

I wrote a poem once about the elusive hug. It is free to give and says more than words can ever say but you can't just ask anyone if they have one to spare that they don't need or pop into the surgery and ask for one instead of anti-depressants. Iin reality there's always a cost which means they often can't afford to give what could be given freely when someone is in need of one.

I came across this Sinatra song recently. I can certainly relate to it. Sinatra - A Man Alone
The following user(s) said Well Said: maylily7651

Last Edit: by weatherpoet.

Loneliness can seriously affect your health - Buzz50 can help 1 week 15 hours ago #3125256

• weatherpoet
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
P.S. Strangely I opened the advent calendar window today and it's message said "Give hugs for Christmas". Looks like the dog will be in luck!:xxx:

Loneliness can seriously affect your health - Buzz50 can help 2 days 17 hours ago #3128959

• sciguy18
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 345
  • Honor Medal 2010
I lost my mother suddenly in May and have been caring for my father since. Even though I still work a few days a week, I often feel quite lonely. Thank goodness for sites like this.

Moderators: pascalouMike
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds

Over 50 forums just for seniors Join Free here!

Buzz50 is one of the few sites where the forums are strictly restricted to those who are over 50 only.

Our senior forums are run by over 50s purely for over 50s to enjoy. If you like serious or even light hearted discussions then this is the place for you.