Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Started just before Christmas 2014 as part of Buzz50's Banish Loneliness Campaign for Seniors over 50. Still going strong in 2017!
This category is for talk about loneliness and how to tackle it. Can you can help in our campaign?

TOPIC: Can a pet help with loneliness?

Can a pet help with loneliness? 2 years 6 months ago #2745084

  • Jennet
  • Jennet's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Posts: 2036
  • Well said received: 1580
  • Points: 131344
  • Honor Medal 2010

JUJO wrote:

Narcissus wrote:

Jennet wrote:

Narcissus wrote: I have four cats, all rescued cats, all wonderful personalities, each one different, they are great companions, I would not be without them. :xxx:



Narcissus

I used to breed Siamese cats , and the kittens did have all different personalities from birth , just like us.
When they were old enough to sell , some kittens would come right up to the prospective buyers and some would run away .
There was always one cat that didn't sell, so we kept her until another Mama cat had a litter .
She was weaned, but when the next litter was born and she smelled milk she got in there and started drinking .
I had to remove the big lug before she stole any more milk
:laugh:


I love Siamese cats, I used to only have Siamese or Burmese cats, they are such characters, but then I realised how many ordinary homeless cats needed homes too, so started taking in the homeless cats, and all my four cats were desperately in need of a home, so I took them in, and they have repaid me many times with the fun they are, the companionship, and its lovely just to look at them and know they are happy, and well fed. :-)

It must have been so lovely breeding Siamese cats, but it must have been very hard letting the kittens go to new homes, as we so quickly get very attached to these little kittens.








Never had a Siamese cat, but they are beautiful cats.



I just worried that their owners were going to be good to them



My friend said.
'How can you rationalize breeding cats when the cat population is out of control?"

I said that the people buying my cats were never going to be rescuers because they wanted specifically
A Siamese cat. I played with them all every day , so they were tame and affectionate when the people bought them.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Can a pet help with loneliness? 2 years 6 months ago #2750096

  • MarionE
  • MarionE's Avatar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Yes I am sure a pet helps.

Last year I was so lonely at times I wondered why I had been left by myself. I mentioned to my two daughters that I would love a dog. The daughter that lives close by, though I don't see much of her, said no, it will only make work.
My daughter that lives further away thought it was a great idea.
So I started looking, but I knew what I wanted, I wanted a yorkie, as we had one many years ago.
At Christmas the daughter that lives far away said sorry, no present for Christmas but they would be bringing it in the new year. I didn't mind a bit as even Christmas now I don't like.

They arrived at the beginning of the year, my little grandson who was 9 at the time, came in and said "close your eyes Gran", so did as I was told. He put something in my arms, and there was the cutest little yorkie I had ever seen.

He is now 6 months old, and my grass does look a bit like a golf course lol but do I mind? not in the least.
He is so much company, I now have something to get up for in a morning, and it makes me take him for walks during the day. Yes he gets a handful at times (I am 73) but what the heck, I love him to bits.

I know he will outlive me but the daughter that bought him for me says not to worry they will continue looking after him.

So should anyone get a pet, then yes, at last I have someone to look after, to talk to, to go with walks with and who I know is dependent on me.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Can a pet help with loneliness? 2 years 6 months ago #2750103

  • JUJO
  • JUJO's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Posts: 2969
  • Well said received: 3082
  • Points: 3089
  • Honor Medal 2010

MarionE wrote: Yes I am sure a pet helps.

Last year I was so lonely at times I wondered why I had been left by myself. I mentioned to my two daughters that I would love a dog. The daughter that lives close by, though I don't see much of her, said no, it will only make work.
My daughter that lives further away thought it was a great idea.
So I started looking, but I knew what I wanted, I wanted a yorkie, as we had one many years ago.
At Christmas the daughter that lives far away said sorry, no present for Christmas but they would be bringing it in the new year. I didn't mind a bit as even Christmas now I don't like.

They arrived at the beginning of the year, my little grandson who was 9 at the time, came in and said "close your eyes Gran", so did as I was told. He put something in my arms, and there was the cutest little yorkie I had ever seen.

He is now 6 months old, and my grass does look a bit like a golf course lol but do I mind? not in the least.
He is so much company, I now have something to get up for in a morning, and it makes me take him for walks during the day. Yes he gets a handful at times (I am 73) but what the heck, I love him to bits.

I know he will outlive me but the daughter that bought him for me says not to worry they will continue looking after him.








[[/b]

So should anyone get a pet, then yes, at last I have someone to look after, to talk to, to go with walks with and who I know is dependent on me.












Oh Marion,
That is a lovely story,
Good Luck Always to you and your little dog.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

No home is complete without the pitter patter of kitty feet.

Can a pet help with loneliness? 2 years 6 months ago #2750507

  • garland 2
  • garland 2's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Posts: 52288
  • Well said received: 1649
  • Points: 36107
  • Honor Medal 2010
I have two small dogs and they are really great company, I would not be without them.
So yes you would feel a lot less lonely
The following user(s) said Well Said: Jennet

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Can a pet help with loneliness? 2 years 6 months ago #2750520

  • Jennet
  • Jennet's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Posts: 2036
  • Well said received: 1580
  • Points: 131344
  • Honor Medal 2010
I live alone and love it, but coming home to an empty apartment with no greeting
would be dismal.

My little cat plays tag, sits on my lap in the evening and sleeps at the foot of my bed..


She also thinks I can' go to the bathroom without her. :laugh:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Can a pet help with loneliness? 2 years 6 months ago #2750752

  • Lorna Doone
  • Lorna Doone's Avatar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Marion,

That's really lovely, your daughter who lives away made a very good decision! :) I hope you will enjoy a good many years of companionship!

I have a sister who lost her husband in March so it is still early days yet, she has no children, indeed, having lived across the pond for more than 50 years, she has no family near her and many of her friends have died or moved away to be nearer their families. She is tossing up whether to come home to Blighty or stay in the States. Until more recent years they always had a dog but her husband was ill for a long, long time and caring for him at home alone made it impossible to have another.

But talking to her on Skype, I suggested that once she decides what to do, maybe she would like another four legged friend and she agreed that yes, it might be something she could do.

Last Sunday when I skyped, she looked more like her old self, happy, relaxed, smiling!
Why??
Some friends who have been kindly keeping her company over recent months suggested to some mutual friends that my sister might look after their dog for the day while they went on a trip...............and the idea worked wonders :) her first step on the road to recovery, I hope!!!

Oh! The healing power of pets!!!!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Lorna Doone.

Can a pet help with loneliness? 2 years 6 months ago #2751607

  • MarionE
  • MarionE's Avatar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Lorna Doone wrote: Hi Marion,

That's really lovely, your daughter who lives away made a very good decision! :) I hope you will enjoy a good many years of companionship!

I have a sister who lost her husband in March so it is still early days yet, she has no children, indeed, having lived across the pond for more than 50 years, she has no family near her and many of her friends have died or moved away to be nearer their families. She is tossing up whether to come home to Blighty or stay in the States. Until more recent years they always had a dog but her husband was ill for a long, long time and caring for him at home alone made it impossible to have another.

But talking to her on Skype, I suggested that once she decides what to do, maybe she would like another four legged friend and she agreed that yes, it might be something she could do.

Last Sunday when I skyped, she looked more like her old self, happy, relaxed, smiling!
Why??
Some friends who have been kindly keeping her company over recent months suggested to some mutual friends that my sister might look after their dog for the day while they went on a trip...............and the idea worked wonders :) her first step on the road to recovery, I hope!!!

Oh! The healing power of pets!!!!



Oh another lovely story, and what's the betting that your sister will be out looking for a dog when she has to give the other one back. I suppose really that's a good way of finding out if an pet fits in with your home life.
Do let us know if she gets a dog.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Can a pet help with loneliness? 2 years 6 months ago #2754310

  • Saunter
  • Saunter's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Posts: 88
  • Well said received: 37
  • Points: 23716
  • Honor Medal 2010
I've a dog who is so nice, named Milo. As a hobby I take him to nursing home and the folks there pet him. I go right after lunch and as they leave lunch those who want to pet him. I always have a good time
The following user(s) said Well Said: Lorna Doone, Jennet

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Saunter, walk in grace and calmness. As much as you can on life's path.

Can a pet help with loneliness? 2 years 6 months ago #2754338

  • starlight
  • starlight's Avatar
  • Away
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Posts: 156
  • Well said received: 187
  • Points: 10454
  • Honor Medal 2010
After my own pets died, I said no more, as I didn't think I could handle going through the loss again, but when my parents went into a nursing home, my husband and I adopted their 2 beautiful cats and they honestly turned our house into a home. They were most loving and affectionate and fabulous company. We had them for 4 years and they both passed one day apart when they were around 17 -18 years of age. We mourned their loss, but they left us with the most beautiful memories. Sometimes pets can be the reason for getting out of bed in the mornings!

I too, have wondered about pets outliving their owners, but it's worth looking into adopting an older pet from a homeless shelter. My older cats adjusted well, and were well past the "mischief and training stage, although they were loads of fun and still very active. We miss not being parents to 4 legged furry children, so we may just take a trip to the shelter some time soon. We can never replace our cats, but we have lots of love and a comfortable home to offer to a homeless pet that may otherwise be put down.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Lorna Doone

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Can a pet help with loneliness? 2 years 6 months ago #2754770

  • Jennet
  • Jennet's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Posts: 2036
  • Well said received: 1580
  • Points: 131344
  • Honor Medal 2010

starlight wrote: After my own pets died, I said no more, as I didn't think I could handle going through the loss again, but when my parents went into a nursing home, my husband and I adopted their 2 beautiful cats and they honestly turned our house into a home. They were most loving and affectionate and fabulous company. We had them for 4 years and they both passed one day apart when they were around 17 -18 years of age. We mourned their loss, but they left us with the most beautiful memories. Sometimes pets can be the reason for getting out of bed in the mornings!

I too, have wondered about pets outliving their owners, but it's worth looking into adopting an older pet from a homeless shelter. My older cats adjusted well, and were well past the "mischief and training stage, although they were loads of fun and still very active. We miss not being parents to 4 legged furry children, so we may just take a trip to the shelter some time soon. We can never replace our cats, but we have lots of love and a comfortable home to offer to a homeless pet that may otherwise be put down.





Starlight,

My son was so upset when his cat died.
She was his 11th birthday present.

He was about 26 when she died.
He had to call his sister at 11 pm to help him take her to a 24 hour vet to
be put down when she started meowing in pain.

He said he would never have another pet.

Then he married a girl who has 2 cats.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Jennet.
Moderators: pascaloumike
Time to create page: 0.239 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum

Over 50 forums just for seniors Join Free here!

Buzz50 is one of the few sites where the forums are strictly restricted to those who are over 50 only.

Our senior forums are run by over 50s purely for over 50s to enjoy. If you like serious or even light hearted discussions then this is the place for you.