Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Started just before Christmas 2014 as part of Buzz50's Banish Loneliness Campaign for Seniors over 50. Still going strong in 2017!
This category is for talk about loneliness and how to tackle it. Can you can help in our campaign?

TOPIC: Can a pet help with loneliness?

Can a pet help with loneliness? 4 years 2 months ago #2306092

• elizanne
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Pets are wonderful companions and family members that help cope with every kind of " ness " :) (( sadness, loneliness, happiness ))

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Can a pet help with loneliness? 4 years 2 months ago #2306272

• Twink55
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

elizanne wrote: Pets are wonderful companions and family members that help cope with every kind of " ness " :) (( sadness, loneliness, happiness ))

Well said Elizanne! I would like to add illness to your list as it is now known that health can improve with the correct psychological attitude, so when your pet is sitting with you and bringing you comfort, if you are ill then your pet is most likely to be speeding your recovery.

Can a pet help with loneliness? 4 years 2 months ago #2308543

• Dennis 2
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3761
  • Honor Medal 2010

This is my girl Mica, retired Military K9 I would be totally lost with out her:
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Well Said: QuietMouse01, Eira

Last edit: by Dennis 2.

Can a pet help with loneliness? 4 years 2 months ago #2308578

• mariana
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Your dog Mica looks so beautiful ---I know just how much a dog can help.

I got 2 dogs shortly after my husband died, bearing in mind I had never had a dog before , my husband always preferred dogs.

It was a strange thing-I went away to stay with my sister a while, saw my nieces 2 new puppies--and thought to myself--i can do that !!! So we checked out her local paper for dogs---and believe me there are a lot of breeders in Suffolk.
Becuase I was unused to dogs, I did not think I could handle rescue dogs--and I knew I wanted 2, as i figured they would be company for eacxh other, as I knew I would have to go out and leave them on their own. So I wanted 2 different breeds, and one of each. The first one I got was Harry, a cairn terrier, 8 weeks old-last in his litter. then we crossed into the next county Norfolk, and found my little Chloe--a long haired Jack Russell terrier puppl. . We had a little box in the boot for them to sit in and hopefully sleep, and when we got back, opened the box, and 2 little faces looked up at me, with so much trust in their little faces. That is when I truly fell in love with them. They have been good dogs--now over 10 years old. I could not manage without them. the first Christmas on my own I took them out for a long walk, found a seat in the local playground---looked around me at all the houses around lights blazing, cars outside--everyone having fun. I burst into tears, could not stop crying, but Harry and Chloe came and sat beside me, looking up at me, as if to say, its ok, youve got us now !!! Nothing was as bad as that first Christmas, but they have always been there for me when I have been blue---which has been many many times over the last 10 years, they have restricted my life in many ways, but I could not imagine being without them.

Can a pet help with loneliness? 4 years 2 months ago #2308936

• Dennis 2
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3761
  • Honor Medal 2010
Thank you very much for the compliment on Mica, this was Maddie who I worked with 8 yrs.

We were rarely apart, she was my best friend I had and knew 2 languages, these were before she got sick she was 102 lbs.

Our Christmas cards
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Well Said: Artangel, QuietMouse01, Jennet

Last edit: by Dennis 2.

Can a pet help with loneliness? 4 years 2 months ago #2309050

• mariana
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Oh, such another beautiful dog. I know how much you miss her. My 2 dogs are both small-and Chloe especially can get a bit feisty--but all the large dogs I have come across, labradors , retrievers etc, have always seemed so gentle.

Thanks for the pics , love them xx

Can a pet help with loneliness? 4 years 2 months ago #2309323

• juniper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Our dog has helped my husband to recover from his heart illness. The daily walks are therapeutic.

Last edit: by juniper.

Can a pet help with loneliness? 4 years 1 month ago #2313741

• Mudkid
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Dennis 2 wrote: Thank you very much for the compliment on Mica, this was Maddie who I worked with 8 yrs.

We were rarely apart, she was my best friend I had and knew 2 languages, these were before she got sick she was 102 lbs.

Our Christmas cards

A beautiful dog .

Can a pet help with loneliness? 4 years 1 month ago #2329593

• candle
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
My lovely girls help my lonliness

Attachments:

Can a pet help with loneliness? 4 years 3 weeks ago #2338299

• Gazza
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Yes ........i had a rescue dog for over 12yrs and not one day went by when we werent together, she came to work with me every day . She was my right arm. After she died i had another rescue dog who did the same , came to work with me etc, than i was made redundant, in my new job i couldnt take her with me , than my marriage broke down and i couldnt take her with me as i had no room . I miss my 'blue' but it best she is with my ex as i couldnt leave her alone for 12hrs aday.

Moderators: pascaloumike
Time to create page: 0.241 seconds