Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Started just before Christmas 2014 as part of Buzz50's Banish Loneliness Campaign for Seniors over 50. Still going strong in 2017!
This category is for talk about loneliness and how to tackle it. Can you can help in our campaign?

TOPIC: Can a pet help with loneliness?

Can a pet help with loneliness? 2 years 5 months ago #2754846

• starlight
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 187
  • Honor Medal 2010

Jennet wrote:

starlight wrote: After my own pets died, I said no more, as I didn't think I could handle going through the loss again, but when my parents went into a nursing home, my husband and I adopted their 2 beautiful cats and they honestly turned our house into a home. They were most loving and affectionate and fabulous company. We had them for 4 years and they both passed one day apart when they were around 17 -18 years of age. We mourned their loss, but they left us with the most beautiful memories. Sometimes pets can be the reason for getting out of bed in the mornings!

I too, have wondered about pets outliving their owners, but it's worth looking into adopting an older pet from a homeless shelter. My older cats adjusted well, and were well past the "mischief and training stage, although they were loads of fun and still very active. We miss not being parents to 4 legged furry children, so we may just take a trip to the shelter some time soon. We can never replace our cats, but we have lots of love and a comfortable home to offer to a homeless pet that may otherwise be put down.

Starlight,

My son was so upset when his cat died.
She was his 11th birthday present.

He was about 26 when she died.
He had to call his sister at 11 pm to help him take her to a 24 hour vet to
be put down when she started meowing in pain.

He said he would never have another pet.

Then he married a girl who has 2 cats.

What a sad story, but with a lovely happy ending. Thanks for sharing Jennet.

I grew up surrounded by animals, and I was given a little puppy for my birthday when I was 5 years old. She died when I was 21. Because I love animals and enjoyed having her in my life so much, I eventually went on to have more pets, but I'll never, ever forget her.

It really is heartbreaking to lose a pet, no matter what age you are. They become part of the family and once they're gone, there's a huge void. They can never be replaced and the memories will always be there, but there's always enough love to go around, and the cycle continues.

Just to stay on topic, pets can really help with loneliness and be great companions. From what I understand, having a pet can reduce high blood pressure too! :)
The following user(s) said Well Said: Jennet

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Can a pet help with loneliness? 2 years 5 months ago #2754875

• jon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
You always become a puppy walker ... that's what we do & we are on our 10 th puppy , i wouldn't want a permanent dog now , they are too restricting to take them places ... good social life to with other puppy walkers

Can a pet help with loneliness? 2 years 5 months ago #2754877

• Purple Sandy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I live in a rented, pet free flat, which is a bit difficult, but when I am realistic, I can't really look after my own pet. My last dogs, as they got older, I became incapable of walking them. So now, I make the most of weeks like this, dog sitting for my eldest daughter, and visiting them and my other daughters and their pets...
I sometimes feel a bit sorry for myself, but acknowledge they are a huge responsibility and I have had good times in the past with my dogs...I am just pleased all my children grew up loving animals and have them now....(my son also has a black Labrador just as we did)

Can a pet help with loneliness? 2 years 5 months ago #2755071

• starlight
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 187
  • Honor Medal 2010

Purple Sandy wrote: I live in a rented, pet free flat, which is a bit difficult, but when I am realistic, I can't really look after my own pet. My last dogs, as they got older, I became incapable of walking them. So now, I make the most of weeks like this, dog sitting for my eldest daughter, and visiting them and my other daughters and their pets...
I sometimes feel a bit sorry for myself, but acknowledge they are a huge responsibility and I have had good times in the past with my dogs...I am just pleased all my children grew up loving animals and have them now....(my son also has a black Labrador just as we did)

I commend you for being realistic and responsible about your inability to care for a pet at this time, but it's so wonderful that you can still have the enjoyment of pets within your family circle without having the full responsibility. It's a bit like being a grandparent. You can hug them, cuddle them, spoil them, then hand them back to their "parents" at the end of the day! :xxx: :)

Can a pet help with loneliness? 2 years 4 months ago #2768596

• jan99
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 364
Definitely definitely a pet stops you being lonely, my cat is nearly always by my side, I talk to him always, his body language tells me he's happy and understanding, which gives out a good feeling to a person who's a bit lonely.

Jan 99

Can a pet help with loneliness? 2 years 4 months ago #2768643

• Jennet
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1633
  • Honor Medal 2010

jan99 wrote: Definitely definitely a pet stops you being lonely, my cat is nearly always by my side, I talk to him always, his body language tells me he's happy and understanding, which gives out a good feeling to a person who's a bit lonely.

Same here Jan.

I live alone and like it because I love my apartment, on 9th floor , overlooking trees.
I don't think I could live alone if it weren't for my cat.

When you leave , do you say, "Mommy will be back soon?'

My cat can always tell when I'm getting ready to go out.

She is waiting by the door for me when I get home.

4 years ago I was staying at my daughter's house 6 days a week for 6 weeks, taking third shift
with her newborn so she wouldn't have to get up in the middle of the night.

I came home every 3 days to feed her and scoop the litter boxes.

When I sat down in my armchair, she sat on my lap and wrapped her paw around my forearm ,
as if to say, "you are not leaving"

Can a pet help with loneliness? 2 years 2 months ago #2803040

• petralily
  • New Buzzer
  • New Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1
  • Honor Medal 2010
I live on my own with my little dog and wouldn't like to be without her..I have had her for six years now she was a little rescue dog she needed a home and I needed her ..if you have a dog you don't come home to an empty house lots of waggy tail and doggy kisses .. :) :)
Attachments:

Can a pet help with loneliness? 2 years 2 months ago #2803212

• JUJO
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2946
  • Honor Medal 2010

petralily wrote: I live on my own with my little dog and wouldn't like to be without her..I have had her for six years now she was a little rescue dog she needed a home and I needed her ..if you have a dog you don't come home to an empty house lots of waggy tail and doggy kisses .. :) :)

She is beautiful.

No home is complete without the pitter patter of kitty feet.

Can a pet help with loneliness? 1 year 11 months ago #2863832

• Fluffydragon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
If I didn't have my 4 little dudes to talk to, I don't know what I'd do. Apart from work, they are the only 'people' I talk to.
Can't imagine coming home to an empty house. They have me in stitches and follow me everywhere :)

Can a pet help with loneliness? 1 year 11 months ago #2864405

• Jennet
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1633
  • Honor Medal 2010

Fluffydragon wrote: If I didn't have my 4 little dudes to talk to, I don't know what I'd do. Apart from work, they are the only 'people' I talk to.
Can't imagine coming home to an empty house. They have me in stitches and follow me everywhere :)

Me too. My cat is like Velcro .She is always next to me and follows me around.
The following user(s) said Well Said: PennyLane, unique

Moderators: pascaloumike
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds