TOPIC: Testament of Youth

Testament of Youth 3 weeks 3 days ago #3618159

• Damaged Goods
  • Damaged Goods's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 81
  • Honor Medal 2010
A British woman recalls coming of age during World War I - a story of young love, the futility of war, and how to make sense of the darkest times.

The story of journalist
Emma Brittain.

www.imdb.com/video/vi1078440217?playlist...441953&ref_=tt_ov_vi

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Testament of Youth 3 weeks 3 days ago #3618204

• Aida
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3403
  • Honor Medal 2010
Do you mean Testament of Youth by Vera Briittain ?
Vera was born in Staffordshire, the daughter of a paper manufacturer . In 1914 she was awarded an exhibition to study English Literature at Somerville College, Oxford, an exciting opportunity for a young woman in those days, but WW1 changed her plans. She abandoned her studies and took up work as a VAD nurse tending wounded soldiers. Some of her close male friends fought and were victims of war, including her brother, Edward. She became grief stricken when she lost her fiancé, Gerald Leighton, who was killed in action on the Western Front. He had been due home on leave but died Christmas 1915.
It is a terrific story of love , loss and a lost generation. There is a film of this story, it’s good, but I recommend those who have not done so read the book. It’s beautifully written, recounting her war time experiences and her journey towards pacifism.

After the war Vera met a new love and married. Her daughter became one of England’s most well respected politicians, Shirley Williams.

I have measured out my life with coffee spoons....
Last edit: by Aida.

Testament of Youth 3 weeks 2 days ago #3618251

• Vegemite Kid
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2953
  • Honor Medal 2010
link opens to a trailer of "Based on the memoir by Vera Brittain, a British woman recalls coming of age during World War I."

I have read the book Testament of Youth - and watched a movie based on it a few years ago.
Not sure if this is that same movie or a new one.

Testament of Youth 3 weeks 2 days ago #3618358

• Aida
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3403
  • Honor Medal 2010
Coincidentally, it has been announced that Vera Bittain’s daughter, politician Shirley Williams, died today, April 12, 2012. aged 90.

I have measured out my life with coffee spoons....
Last edit: by Aida.
  • Page:
Moderators: mikePatssmilesrus10Pascalou
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds