TOPIC: The school that tried to end racism

The school that tried to end racism 2 weeks 2 days ago #3484717

• Lorna Doone
  • Lorna Doone's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 136
  • Honor Medal 2010
Did anyone watch this TV programme on channel 4 last night?

The aim of this experiment was to uncover "unconscious racial bias" For the first test developed at Harvard, in a class of 24 11 year olds, each child was given a tablet computer to see how they associated positive words with white faces and negative words with black faces. Some of the children became visibly upset by the choices put to them which did not offer a neutral answer alternative. The results apparently showed that people were far quicker to associate positivity with white faces and negativity with black. The white pupils were horrified, the black children less so.
The white children were then segregated from the Bame pupils to discuss racism in their separate groups. When they were brought together again the discussions continued, The white children were worried that they might unintentionally offend the black children and seemed to me to be more reticent. The black children seemed to expect to be at disadvantage.

What I found interesting was when the children brought in things to " show and tell" about their heritage. The black children brought in colourful clothing/ornaments etc, that represented their ethnic backgrounds, they said they were proud of their colour and seemed happy and confident.
The white children struggled to bring in things which celebrated their heritage and seemed altogether more reluctant and concerned about saying anything about their whiteness.

It was a thought provoking programme, did anyone else see it, what did you think?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Lorna Doone.

The school that tried to end racism 2 weeks 2 days ago #3484951

• Bruce
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1360
  • Honor Medal 2010
No I didn't see it but thank you for sharing I will be going to find it to view. (;;)
LIVERPOOL FC PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS AND WORLD CLUB CUP CHAMPIONS 2019-2020

The school that tried to end racism 2 weeks 2 days ago #3484955

• Lorna Doone
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
Hi Bruce,
It's an interesting watch, I have mixed feelings about it, shall be interested to hear other thoughts.

The school that tried to end racism 2 weeks 2 days ago #3484965

• Bruce
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Lorna Doone wrote: Hi Bruce,
It's an interesting watch, I have mixed feelings about it, shall be interested to hear other thoughts.

I will view it later as at the minute the good wife is using the TV as her works computer as her laptop has again decided to not work lol.
I can't go upstairs to watch it as I know if I sit or lie on the bed my eyes will close :laugh:
LIVERPOOL FC PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS AND WORLD CLUB CUP CHAMPIONS 2019-2020

The school that tried to end racism 2 weeks 2 days ago #3484970

• QuinTSensual
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 4092
  • Honor Medal 2010
Typical TV programming. Had to choose between that and "Educating Yorkshire". Much the same theme and well worth watching.
Although somewhat unconventional. Absolutely brilliant teaching staff.
Particularly the way they supported, encouraged and found ways to cure, within the pressures of curriculum and other pupils imminent Exams. An intelligent Muslim lad, clearly with potential, of his life curtailing Acute Stammer.
As an aside. Poignantly portraying. That at grassroots, we are not an inherently Racial Society. However much, quick jerk mass protesting proclaims.
Next stop. A catch up with the OT referred programme.
"Out of the Eyes and Words of Children. We 'May', be best Known."

The school that tried to end racism 2 weeks 1 day ago #3485593

• snewps
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 60
  • Honor Medal 2010
I watched this and thoroughly enjoyed it, whilst watching I thought that I wished all parents were like my late parents, I'm in my 70s and had wonderful parents who had me late in life, but they brought me up not too judge people on race i.e colour religion gender or sexuality.

I had friends of different colour even though back then there wasn't many different people about and I've tried to bring my two children up with the same ideals. I couldn't care less whether a person is black white gay or straight to me they are all just people. God Bless everyone on here regardless of where you are from.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Yo, Bruce

The school that tried to end racism 2 weeks 22 hours ago #3485810

• Bruce
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
I watched 2 episodes of this today on catch up and it was very interesting.
What did surprise me was the kids were aged 11&12 but the English language used by some of the pupils was well above their age limit to what I am used to from kids that age.
I thought the race where they answered questions to where they start was very alarming but very good education.

The school that tried to end racism 2 weeks 13 hours ago #3485899

• Lorna Doone
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
I've only seen one episode, I think the second one is this Thursday.
I felt uncomfortable about the nature of the questions asked and thought they were geared to evidence "unconscious bias", the children themselves seemed to say that there were not enough answers to choose from. For instance, an image of a black child asked whether the word ugly was what it represented, yes or no? I would like to see the whole questionnaire to gauge my initial thoughts about it.
While the BAME children seemed more open to discuss their ethnicity in their separate group, the white children were more upset, one thought that police would knock on her door and say she was racist if she said Something wrong. In the show and tell, the BAME children were open and joyful talking about their culture and were proud of their colour. The white children were at a loss talking of their culture and said nothing about their whiteness.
I agree the race at the end was thought provoking. I await the second episode before making a conclusion.

The school that tried to end racism 1 week 6 days ago #3486558

• Bruce
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Lorna Doone wrote: I've only seen one episode, I think the second one is this Thursday.
I felt uncomfortable about the nature of the questions asked and thought they were geared to evidence "unconscious bias", the children themselves seemed to say that there were not enough answers to choose from. For instance, an image of a black child asked whether the word ugly was what it represented, yes or no? I would like to see the whole questionnaire to gauge my initial thoughts about it.
While the BAME children seemed more open to discuss their ethnicity in their separate group, the white children were more upset, one thought that police would knock on her door and say she was racist if she said Something wrong. In the show and tell, the BAME children were open and joyful talking about their culture and were proud of their colour. The white children were at a loss talking of their culture and said nothing about their whiteness.
I agree the race at the end was thought provoking. I await the second episode before making a conclusion.

They did say in the show if it was a success then maybe they will roll the whole thing out nationally, but like you I would like to see the whole questionnaire before I agree to letting my child do it. I educate my children on colour and racism and different cultures and they like the white kids in the show don't have much say about their own culture and love some of the other cultures from different lands.
They do understand the meaning of privileged white and I agree it was explained in the show too as so many people just think it means rich white people.
It broke my heart seeing that young lad shedding tears talking about being chucked out of a shop and being searched for stolen items,
Education is the key forward we are born knowing only life and everything else is taught to us and if it is not taught correctly or ignored mistakes will and do happen.

If you have Sky and go on catch up and watch the first episode the second auto comes up at the end of the show even though it isn't advertised on catch up, I was surprised I got to see both episodes at once.

Last edit: by Bruce.

The school that tried to end racism 1 week 1 day ago #3489542

• Lorna Doone
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
I watched the second episode last night and watched the first again for a recap.
What was interesting in the first and I hadn't picked up on it was that in the class of 24 children only 10 were white. The result of the testing for " unconscious bias" showed that 18 showed a preference for white, 2 for black and 4 were neutral. While the white children seemed greatly troubled and felt they were to blame for the result, it actually indicated something quite different.

One child of mixed race said she used to wish that she was white because she felt that white children were prettier and I wonder how many of the others had this same misconception. Later, in the second episode, it was demonstrated by the use of mostly white models on the pages of magazines
why BAME children could feel this way, there are exceptions of course like Naomi Campbell and others but they don't have the same prominence. There are, though, many famous BAME role models in the world of music and there has over recent years been greater representation on TV, with newsreaders, TV presenters and weather forecastors.
The white children said they didn't think of themselves as white and they didn't feel they were any better than the BAME children,

The course leaders said that we have operated a colour blindness and this is wrong because it denies BAME people their heritage. It was good to see in the 'show and tell' some of the children say that they were black and proud of their heritage but it was sad to see that they felt more comfortable discussing issues in their own segregated groups.

I was brought up in an industrial city and remember the Windrush generation and the first black family to move into our street. Not many black children in my grammar school back then but the one girl who did attend became Headgirl and went on to university. Since then, during my daughters' schooling the whole complexion has changed, we have had Japanese, Chinese, Black and Asian children at our table and for sleepovers, they have become doctors, teachers, pharmacists, solicitors and more. And many families nowadays are Interracial so there is more harmony and yet at the moment it seems as if things are going backwards.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Bruce

• Page:
Moderators: mikePatssmilesrus10Pascalou
Time to create page: 0.224 seconds