Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What authors of fiction impacted you the most?

What authors of fiction impacted you the most? 11 months 1 week ago #3063908

• petersj
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
As a student my favourite books were Crime and Punishment. The obvious ones like The Great Gatsby, Catcher in The Rhye To Kill a mockingbird.
I regret I could never realy get into Thomas Hardy .
I love all Shakespeare.
Here of course I love Australian literature.
I have just discovered Judy Nun. I thought she was going to be pulpy. But her characters are rich and pr ofound.
Love anything about theatre

Please Log in to join the conversation.

What authors of fiction impacted you the most? 4 months 6 days ago #3215448

• frazzled2
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 396
  • Honor Medal 2010
I've been reading several books written by Diney Costello. I like her style very much.
The one I'm reading now is about a grove of 8 trees planted in a small town for the young men from that town who died in the 1914 war. Then a 9th tree was planted for an "unknown soldier".

A reporter is now trying to discover who this unknown solder is 80 years later.
Very well written.

What authors of fiction impacted you the most? 4 months 1 day ago #3218362

• Gerrylady
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 25
Michael Moorcock. The Dancers at the End of Time. Count Brass and many more.

What authors of fiction impacted you the most? 4 months 1 day ago #3218419

• Assemble
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 499
  • Honor Medal 2010
I'd have to say Enid Blyton. I read absolutely everything she wrote from Noddy to the Famous Five and grew up in a similar world. She certainly reinforced everything I was learning about the world as I grew up. Now if course she is considered very politically incorrect but I still have a fondness for the part she played in my childhood.
As an adult I raised my children in much the same way with camps and adventures and picnics and bought her books for them in turn to read.
An influence?......definitely!

What authors of fiction impacted you the most? 4 months 1 day ago #3218422

• Davegem
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Gerrylady wrote: Michael Moorcock. The Dancers at the End of Time. Count Brass and many more.

I love Moorcock too! (you have to be careful how you say that B) ), especially the Jerry Cornelius tales...

Last edit: by Davegem.

What authors of fiction impacted you the most? 4 months 1 day ago #3218425

• Rain
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1363
  • Honor Medal 2010
I write books myself and people often ask me which writers influenced my style. They always think I'm joking when I immediately say Enid Blyton. (I was glad to see someone else mentioned her on this thread.) I loved her sparse style of no nonsense writing. She never wasted a word, and I try to do the same. I try to always make my meaning clear and easy to grasp. Reading shouldn't be hard work. I like Ruth Rendell's style of writing for the same reason. It's direct. It's accessible. There is an Australian writer called Ivan Southall who I admire. I love books written in the first person.The most absorbing book I ever read was Papillon by Henri Charriere.

What authors of fiction impacted you the most? 3 months 2 weeks ago #3228668

• Keeper
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2012
  • Honor Medal 2010
I love social history so Pearl S. Buck sadly now out of print. She wrote of pre WW2 China

Science Fiction .........so ....H.G. Wells......but also Arthur C. Clarke he never left a loose end, everything was always tied up.

What authors of fiction impacted you the most? 3 months 2 weeks ago #3229217

• Savvy
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1590
  • Honor Medal 2010
Reading is a very important part of my life. I find time to read for at least a couple of hours every day.

I don't know how much it impacted my life, but i really liked Dickens. A Tale of Two Cities is a special favorite. I enjoyed Samuel Clemens works. I also liked Asimov and read most everything he wrote. For entertainment I like John Le Carre. A lot of people who start Le Carre's books will read a hundred pages and wonder, "what is going on and why should I care?" They give up too early!

I just recently discovered an English short story author, by accident, when I picked up an antique book in a store. I was curious if W. W. Jacobs is well known and popular in England today. I am working my way through his stories and and enjoying them quite a bit.

Most of my reading is history and biographies. I get to travel through time and across the planet, in the company of famous and infamous people, without leaving the comfort of my easy chair.

Save America, dump Trump.
Last edit: by Savvy.
Moderators: mikePatssmilesrus10pascalou
Time to create page: 0.207 seconds