TOPIC: Broadway Theater: Anthony Perkins in Equus

Broadway Theater: Anthony Perkins in Equus 1 week 11 hours ago #3125473

• Aries1950
  • Aries1950's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 600
  • Honor Medal 2010
Equus, opened up on October 24, 1974 at the Plymouth Theater, and closed on October 2, 1977, at the
Helen Hayes Theater (where I saw it). It ran for 1,209 performances.

The two lead characters were: Dr. Martin Dysart, played by Anthony Perkins, best known for his portrayal of Norman Bates in Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho, and Alan Strang, played by Peter Firth. I don't know if Peter Firth was still playing the role when I saw it. But Anthony Perkins was still the starring lead. He's the reason that I went to see it.

Perkins plays a psychiatrist in the fictitious Rokeby Psychiatric Hospital, in Southern England. He has a young patient named Alan who has a fascination with horses. He also, blinded six horses.

The play was a psychological thriller. Unfortunately, the previous play I saw was a bouncy and entertaining musical, which in no way prepared me to sit through 2 hours of Equus. Matter-of fact, Equus, was probably the first drama that I saw on Broadway. But I did get into the play, after a half hour or so.

www.ibdb.com/broadway-production/equus-3484

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equus_(play)
The following user(s) said Well Said: Davegem

Please Log in to join the conversation.

It is the evening of the day
I sit and watch the children play
Smiling faces I can see
But not for me
I sit and watch
As tears go by

Broadway Theater: Anthony Perkins in Equus 6 days 15 hours ago #3125994

• Davegem
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1624
  • Honor Medal 2010
I remember catching the film version with Richard Burton playing the Dysart role, as a teenager. A deeply disturbing play/film.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: MikePatssmilesrus10pascalou
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds

Over 50 forums just for seniors Join Free here!

Buzz50 is one of the few sites where the forums are strictly restricted to those who are over 50 only.

Our senior forums are run by over 50s purely for over 50s to enjoy. If you like serious or even light hearted discussions then this is the place for you.