Over 80? Join us in here

TOPIC: Still driving regularly?

Still driving regularly? 1 week 4 days ago #3851429

• Aida
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1107
  • Honor Medal 2010
I gave up driving some time ago. Nothing wrong with my eyesight but I am aware that I am not a good driver because I am not observant enough - I wasn’t seeing the bigger picture, just what was in front of me and behind me. Roads are safer without me behind the wheel.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Bruce

Please Log in to join the conversation.

It’s okay not to be okay.

Still driving regularly? 1 week 4 days ago #3851463

• Bruce
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1034

Aida wrote: I gave up driving some time ago. Nothing wrong with my eyesight but I am aware that I am not a good driver because I am not observant enough - I wasn’t seeing the bigger picture, just what was in front of me and behind me. Roads are safer without me behind the wheel.

Very honest of you Aida, Respect to you.

My eyesight is awful, I need glasses to read and see a laptop screen correctly, I need different glasses when I play darts so the board isn't all fuzzy between the numbers, (yes I have being practicing again so far rubbish lol)
When it comes to driving things are getting a little bit of a fuzzy edge at night time but I can still see them ok, daytime no problem at all.
Got an opticians appointment soon so going explain my predicament see what they can do for it.
If I wear my reading glasses now when driving it is dangerous as anything over 6 feet away is very blurred and if I wear my darts glasses when driving I can see great but I feel so uncomfortable I feel like I am closer to things than I am. It's weird to a point I keep taking them off as I feel more in control with them off.
I tried those driving glasses with a yellow tint to them they didn't help at all if anything it was worse, maybe as I am colour blind they were not suitable for me.

RETIRED WITH GRACE

Still driving regularly? 5 days 6 hours ago #3853747

• Maryjoolz
  • Away
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 28
  • Honor Medal 2010
i am still driving and these days i have to as my Hubby has an eye problem which is not going to get any better.
i will give it a few more years before i chuck it in , one of my neighbours has a yearly subscription with the local taxi firm she says it evens out what with car repairs , road tax and insurance ..

Still driving regularly? 5 days 1 hour ago #3853842

• caretaker
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 113
  • Honor Medal 2010
I am 77 and just renewed my UK license but don't drive much now, my wife loves driving age 74, and we are off to Swindon tomorrow, I will drive there and my wife will drive back, I go what I call the country way my wife wizzes down the A34 then the A303.
It will take her mind off things as she is a bit down her sister has just passed away after a long illness.

I love my spell checker.
Have a nice day to one and all.
Moderators: mikePatsMoonlitRoads63
Time to create page: 0.058 seconds