TOPIC: Still driving regularly?

Still driving regularly? 2 years 5 months ago #3681465

• DaveA
  • DaveA's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 61
  • Honor Medal 2010
Many of us still driving on an almost daily basis? I've just started noticing an occasional uncomfortable moment behind the wheel. Nothing earth-shattering but just a feeling.

I drive locally as I always have and have made a couple of longer trips (200 miles to the cottage in Maine and a round-tripper to our daughter's home - 70 miles +/-). Keeping with the flow on the expressways is not a problem but in strange areas, I don't seem to react as quickly with unexpected turns, etc..

Bought a new (to us) car recently and I realize that I'm also slower to adjust to new gauges and switches. No real problems so far but just a bit less comfortable than I've been throughout my driving years. I'm 87 at present and hope to keep driving for a few more years.

Anyone else share my "discomforts"?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Still driving regularly? 2 years 5 months ago #3683583

• QuietMouse01
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 471
  • Honor Medal 2010
As Im a bad sleeper, Ive given up driving....
my late father fell asleep at the wheel, and had a head-on crash,
leaving my mother disabled....
IMO, if you are reacting slower at the wheel, give it up...
better safe, than sorry....
ps. I am under 80 !!

Today is the tomorrow
you worried about yesterday -
and all is well...

Still driving regularly? 2 years 4 months ago #3702500

• Back again
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Unfortunately I had a bad accident with my left arm so unable to drive again but so miss it

Still driving regularly? 2 years 4 months ago #3704277

• QuinTSensual
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1045
  • Honor Medal 2010
Alas No.
Having driven since the 50's. A couple of warning stops without convictions.
It was a hard one to call and more since, having given up this year and making a granddaughter the envy of peers.
C19 lockdowns were the breaking point.
The best part of 2 yrs., virtually unused. Depreciating by the min.
Road tax, Annual Maintenance, MOT and Insurance being racked up. Just to wash gull scat off. :laugh:
There's always an upside. Taxi divers are Happy Bunnies. :dry:

"Out of the Eyes and Words of Children. We 'May', be best Known."

Still driving regularly? 2 years 3 months ago #3714626

• DaveA
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
Bought a newer (not new) car this past year, and not driving as much as in the past, I have to confess to not becoming familiar enough with the various switches and controls regarding the sound system, temp. controls, etc.. Nothing earth shattering but a nuisance at times. My last 2 cars had been Honda Accords and this last a Ford Fusion. Should have stuck with the Hondas. I still get to drive both of them as I passed them on to my grandkids.

They were very similar but the Ford's in it's own world. When younger, adapting was much, much, easier. Thankfully, the kids have a good level of patience with "Gramps' but I'll bet they have a few chuckles at my expense.

Still driving regularly? 1 year 6 months ago #3836659

• kb0000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
After reading a bunch of memory & neurological studies, I came up with this: Distracted driving is a problem with teens, but not with elderly. The elderly have a memory problem, often called a “senior moment”-- ‘where did I leave my car key? Why did I come into this room? Nothing is distracting you when this happens. Rather, your memory just wanders off track for a moment, and that makes for dangers on the road. Call it a focus problem-- your memory does not stay focused on driving. Every now and then, memory goes somewhere else in many elderly drivers.

THE FIX: Buy a pink noise generator & play it while you sleep at a volume level just barely loud enough that you know its on when your head is on your pillow. I don’t know how long it takes. All I know is that one day I realized I no longer had any driving attention problems, like wandering across the center line, running stop signs, going too fast or too slow.

Last edit: by kb0000.

Still driving regularly? 1 year 5 months ago #3842247

• Dennis 2
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 343
  • Honor Medal 2010
Heading out shortly here.

Schöne Dinge passieren in Ihrem Leben, wenn Sie sich distanzieren und negative Dinge und Menschen entfernen.

Still driving regularly? 1 year 5 months ago #3842586

• DaveA
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
And you're over 80? I could handle distances like that back in my 70's, even when turning 80 but as I near 90, driving becomes more of a chore. I never realized that the "ability curve" would drop rather quickly as I drifted into my late 80's.

God Bless You if you're still up for 500 mile drives in your eighties.

Still driving regularly? 1 year 5 months ago #3842613

• Dennis 2
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
Not 80 yet

Schöne Dinge passieren in Ihrem Leben, wenn Sie sich distanzieren und negative Dinge und Menschen entfernen.

Still driving regularly? 1 year 5 months ago #3845423

• Dennis 2
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
Leaving at 4 am tomorrow to Oklahoma for a fishing trip driving pulling a boat, in our group, whoever pulls boat the rest of the folks all pay expenses/fuel. Tomorrow split 4 ways truck and boat fuel, next week it will be my turn to chip in...

Moderators: mikePatsMoonlitRoads63
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds